Shopping for a used car? Skip the dealership – Clutch allows you to shop for a car and apply for a loan completely online. Get your car delivered to your door.
After your car is delivered, you have a 10-day “Test Own” or “Test Drive” full money back guarantee period. If you change your mind during these 10 days, Clutch will pick the car up for free.
Max. Loan Amount
Min. Credit Score
30-second takeClutch is an innovative new car-buying platform worth checking out. Here’s a look at the key highlights to take stock of:
- Think of using Clutch if you are shopping for a used car but don’t want the hassle of leaving your home to visit various dealerships. Instead, Clutch allows shoppers to look through an inventory of more than 700 used cars to make a selection and apply for financing completely online.
- Pick something else if you aren’t in the provinces of Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta or Nova Scotia. So far, these are the only provinces Clutch serves.
- Keep in mind that Clutch also allows consumers to sell or trade in their vehicles.
How does buying a car through Clutch work?
With Clutch, the entire car-buying process is done online. To start, comb through Clutch‘s existing inventory of used cars in your province. At this time, you’re only able to purchase a vehicle from the same province that you’ll be taking delivery in. Cross-province shipping isn’t available.
Once you find a car you like, click “Get Started” to reserve it for 72 hours and fill out the contact information form. A Clutch customer advisor will contact you to help you finalize your purchase paperwork online and arrange for delivery to your home. After your car is delivered, you have a 10-day full money back guarantee. If you change your mind during this timeframe, you must contact Clutch before 5pm EST on the 10th calendar day after receiving your vehicle to request a full refund or exchange. The car must not be modified, in an accident or damaged.
You’re responsible for handling insurance for your new car and you must have proof of insurance at the time of your delivery.
How does financing a car through Clutch work?
The financing process with Clutch is similar to buying. After you’ve made your car selection, you’ll need to submit a credit application, which takes about 10 minutes to complete. Clutch will submit the application to the bank to determine what interest rate you’ll qualify for based on factors such as your credit score and your monthly income. Interest rates start at 4.99%, but they will vary depending on your individual situation.Clutch‘s auto loans are open-ended loans that can be paid off at any time without penalty. You are also free to put as much money down on the loan as you’d like. You can even contact Clutch to increase your payments to any amount to pay off your loan faster. However, you can’t reduce your payments.
What makes Clutch unique?
Clutch is garnering national headlines because of its innovative take on used car shopping. It claims to be Canada’s first online car dealership that delivers cars to your doorstep so you can test drive them on your own time.
This platform also stands out because of its competitive pricing, especially compared to the traditional dealership model. Clutch sources its inventory of vehicles from auctions, trade-ins, partnered manufacturers and customers who sell their vehicles to Clutch. This removes the overhead costs like showrooms and commissioned salespeople, which helps to drive price points down.Clutch‘s cars on offer need to pass a detailed 210-point inspection process to be certified for resale. They also come with a 90-day/6,000 kilometre limited warranty.
You get a 10-day full money back guarantee and can make early repayments without incurring any penalties. Customers have the option to trade in or sell their vehicles and apply the funds towards their new car.
What types of vehicles can you buy through Clutch?
Browse through over 700 used cars, including cars, SUVs, minivans and Jeeps. You will also have a selection of various makes and models from manufacturers such as GMC, Dodge, Audi, Honda, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Nissan and more.
Do I qualify?
To be eligible for financing via Clutch, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a Canadian resident with a valid Canadian address.
- Have a valid driver’s licence and be the age of majority in the province you live in.
- Have a valid Canadian bank account.
When your vehicle is delivered to your home, you’ll also need to provide the following:
- A void cheque or direct deposit form for the bank account you want your payments to come from.
- A copy of your new insurance faxed or emailed to Clutch.
- A valid driver’s licence.
Compare car loans
What are the benefits of the Clutch online platform?
- Shop online and receive your purchase delivered right to your front door. With Clutch, you can apply for financing, shop for a vehicle and have it delivered for a test drive without ever leaving your home. Clutch provides contactless delivery so you can test out your purchase on your own time.
- 10-day money back guarantee. You have 10 days to give your purchase a whirl. If you’re unhappy, you can request a full refund or an exchange.
- Large inventory. You can choose from more than 700 pre-owned cars, trucks, SUVs and minivans on offer from Clutch‘s inventory.
- Competitive pricing. Clutch sources its inventory from auctions, trade-ins and partnerships with manufacturers. This removes the overhead cost of showrooms and salespeople, so Clutch is able to provide lower price points to its customers.
- Open-ended terms. If you opt for financing your car, the loan is open-ended and can be paid off at any time without prepayment penalties. You are also free to put as much money down on the loan as you’d like. You can even contact Clutch to increase your payments to any amount to pay off your loan faster.
- No down payment. It’s possible to get a loan without paying any money out of pocket to secure your vehicle.
- Trade-ins accepted. Clutch offers the option of trading in your current vehicle to apply as credit towards your next purchase.
- Special promotions. Watch out for offers on the Clutch website, which include perks like a “No pay for 90 days” promotion in certain provinces.
What to watch out for
- Not available in all of Canada. At the moment, Clutch is only available in Ontario, British Columbia, Alberta or Nova Scotia.
- Only used cars are available. Clutch only has an inventory of used cars to choose from, so you’ll need to look elsewhere if you want a new vehicle.
- Interest rates aren’t posted online. Clutch doesn’t divulge on its website what its APR range is. It says interest rates start at 4.99%.
- Potential for additional fees. Depending on the province you live in, you may have to pay an $899 car prep fee. You may also face other fees, such as late or missed payment charges or NSF fees.
- No in-person interaction. Because Clutch is an online-only dealership, you can’t visit a physical storefront to receive in-person customer service.
- Prices are non-negotiable. While there is wiggle room when you’re shopping for a car at a dealership, Clutch says it doesn’t negotiate on its pricing.
- Cross-province delivery isn’t available. Clutch can’t arrange deliveries from other provinces, so you can only shop for what’s available in your region.
- Repayments cannot be decreased. While you can make a lump sum down payment, early repayments without penalty and rearrange payment dates, you cannot reduce your monthly repayments.
How do I apply?
If you’re ready to apply for Clutch car loans, follow these steps:
- Head to the Clutch homepage to start your application. Select the province you live in to proceed.
- Search through Clutch‘s inventory of vehicles to zero in on the car you’d like to buy or finance. Clutch lists its overview, pricing, features and specs. You can read through Clutch‘s inspection report for a detailed look at the car’s condition. Clutch also lists what financing would look like. Click either “Get Started” or “Apply for Financing.”
- Start your application by plugging in details, such as your trade-in value if you have a car you’d like to trade in, your down payment and your ideal loan length. Click “Continue with these terms.”
- Answer if you’re applying on your own or with a co-applicant. Click “Continue.”
- Provide your full name, email, phone number and date of birth. Click “Continue.”
- Provide identity verification with your social insurance number (optional), your driver’s licence number, your driver’s licence expiry and the issuing province. Click “Continue.”
- Read through your application submission and then hit “Submit.”
- You should receive a phone call from a loan specialist who will help you with the next steps for your loan application.
I got a car through Clutch, now what?
If you’re buying your car, you have 10 days to “test own” your vehicle. If you’re unhappy with your purchase, you can contact Clutch by 5pm EST on the 10th day of ownership to request a refund or an exchange.
If you’re financing your car, you’ll work with a loan specialist to arrange the details of your repayment plan. Clutch says its auto loans are open-ended so they can be paid off at any time without penalty. You can also ask to increase your payments to any amount to pay off your loan faster. However, you cannot reduce your payments.
Work with your loan specialist to decide on payment dates before the paperwork is signed. You can opt into weekly, fortnightly or monthly payments. Your first payment must be at least 14 days from your contract date. There’s flexibility in your repayments, so you can change your payment date after your first payment comes out.