With Carooga, you can do your used car shopping completely online and arrange a contact-free delivery to your front door.
Once your car is delivered, Carooga car loans provides a “risk-free test drive” period of 7 days/800 km, along with a warranty of 90 days/3,000 km. It also permits cross-province purchases, but you’re on the hook for covering shipping charges for any distances beyond 150 kilometres. Carooga’s main hub is in BC.
30-second takeCarooga is one of many online used car dealerships that promise you can buy your new set of wheels and secure financing without ever leaving your home.
- Think of using Carooga if you want to buy a used car without visiting the dealership and you live in Western Canada, especially Vancouver.
- Pick something else if you’re shopping for a new vehicle, motorcycle or RV. Carooga only deals in used cars, SUVs, trucks and vans. You should also look elsewhere if you’re looking to finance private purchases.
- Carooga accepts trade-ins and no down payment. It only provides financing in British Columbia at the moment. You can also opt for financing outside of Carooga if you prefer.
Summary of Carooga cars and financing
|Trial period||“Risk-free test drive” for up to 7 days/800 km. Any cosmetic damages greater than $300 will be charged back to the purchaser.|
|Exchange policy||Exchanges can be made within the 7 days/800 km return policy via chat, call, text or email. Keep your purchase details on hand to arrange pick-up.|
|Warranty||Complimentary limited warranty of 90 days/3,000 km, with the option for extended warranty packages.|
|Legal provinces||Carooga says its cars are available across Canada. Its main hub is in BC, servicing the Vancouver market, and most of its vehicles can be purchased across Western Canada. Buyers are responsible for shipping costs for any distances over 150 kilometres.|
|Loan amount||Starting at $7,500|
|Interest rate||Not disclosed online|
How does buying a car through Carooga work?Carooga says it’s simplifying the car-buying process with just a few steps:
1. Search its online inventory for your dream car.
You can browse through your options on its online platform and get pre-qualified for financing if you live in BC. You can sort vehicles by year, make, model, colour, kilometres and more. You can then choose your top picks by “favouriting” them and putting them into your account’s virtual garage. Access each car’s detailed specs during this stage so you can have a 360-degree view of your potential purchase.
2. Select the vehicle you want to purchase.
Make your purchase completely online, including getting a quote on your trade-in if you have one. One of Carooga‘s customer guides will walk you through this step via chat, text, email or phone if you need it. You can apply a down payment at this stage, too. You can then choose to pay in full or finance your vehicle.
3. Arrange a delivery or pick up.
Once your payment is sorted out, you can select a date and time for your pick-up or delivery to your front door. You’ll need to provide a picture of your driver’s licence.
4. Await your delivery and test drive.Carooga will deliver your car to your driveway. After that, you have a week to take your new wheels for a spin and decide if it’s a keeper. If it isn’t, you can set up an exchange or refund.
How does financing a car through Carooga work?
To be clear, car financing via Carooga is only available in British Columbia at the moment. You also don’t have to choose financing via Carooga wherever you are in the country. The company says on its website that you can finance the purchase of your car with your own bank or lender.
Pre-qualify within minutes
If you opt for financing via Carooga, you can get pre-qualified within minutes online. You must be at least 18 years old with an income of at least 26,000 per year. Carooga says applying for financing won’t hurt your credit score. Your pre-qualification is good for 29 days. To proceed with your offer, you’ll need the following information ready:
- Verification of income and employment
- Copy of your new vehicle registration
- Void cheque or direct deposit form for the bank account you want your payments to come from
- Copy of your new insurance faxed or emailed to us with the loan holder indicated on it
- A valid driver’s licence
Bad credit is okay
You can apply for funding even if you have bad credit or no credit at all. You can also apply if you have a history of bankruptcy or consumer proposal. Carooga says that once your application is completed, it’ll work with lenders to help you secure the best rate possible and send your loan options via text or email.
What makes Carooga unique?Carooga is one of just a handful of online dealers in the country that provide a completely digital car-shopping experience. Essentially, you can shop for your new car without ever stepping foot into a car dealership or a bank. It even delivers your new car to your front door and gives you a test drive period of 7 days/800 km. If you’re unhappy with your purchase, it’ll come pick up the vehicle and arrange a refund or exchange.
Thorough inspection process, free limited warranty and free CARFAX reportCarooga is also pretty thorough with its inspection process, providing a 206-point inspection before putting used cars into its sales inventory. For peace of mind, you’ll get a free warranty for 90 days/3,000 km and a free CARFAX report so you have detailed information about the vehicle’s history.
Allows cross-province purchases
Finally, its key distinction is that it provides cross-province purchases, a feature its competitors like Canada Drives doesn’t offer. As long as you’re willing to pay for shipping for distances beyond 150 kilometres, you can shop for cars that are available across the country.
What types of vehicles can you buy through Carooga?Carooga only offers used cars. Its selection includes SUVs, hatchbacks, convertibles, coupes, sedans, trucks and vans.
Compare car loans
Is Carooga legit?
It is. Carooga is registered with the Vehicle Sales Authority of British Columbia, the province’s vehicle sales regulator that oversees the retail sales of personal-use vehicles. Carooga has a head office in Abbotsford, BC as well as a contact number and email address for customers. It also has an active online presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube. It has had its fair share of positive publicity in the Canadian media landscape, including the Financial Post, Yahoo!, Daily Hive and Techcouver.
What are the benefits of Carooga?
- Buy your car completely online with delivery to your front door. Browse through Carooga‘s selection of used cars online, and arrange delivery or pick-up.
- Money back guarantee. You have a period of 7 days/800 km to test drive your vehicle. If you’re unhappy, Carooga will pick up your car and process a refund or an exchange.
- No down payment required. It’s possible to get a loan without paying any money out of pocket to secure your vehicle.
- Trade-ins accepted. If you have a vehicle, or multiple vehicles, you’d like to trade in, it can be applied as credit towards your next purchase.
- Free warranty. Carooga provides a warranty of 90 days/3,000 km, which is pretty generous compared to its competitors.
- Cross-province purchases allowed. You don’t have to let geography limit your shopping experience as long as you’re okay with covering shipping charges for any distances beyond 150 kilometres.
What to watch out for
- Financing is not available across Canada. If you want in-house financing, Carooga only offers financing in British Columbia.
- Only used cars are available. If you’re shopping for a brand new car, Carooga can’t help you out. It only has an inventory of used cars to choose from.
- Inventory is limited. Compared to its competitors that offer thousands of used cars, Carooga‘s inventory is only around 330.
- Based in Western Canada. While cross-province purchases are allowed, Carooga emphasizes that its headquarters are in BC, serving the Vancouver market, and that its focus is on Western Canada on a whole.
Do I qualify for a Carooga auto loan?
To be eligible for a Carooga auto loan, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Be a resident of British Columbia.
- Have a valid driver’s licence and be at least 18 years old.
- Earn a minimum annual income of $26,000.
How do I apply?
If you need a Carooga loan to help with your purchase, follow these steps:
- Head to the Carooga homepage and click on “Get Pre-Qualified” to start your application.
- Start your application with Step 1. Fill in your full name, home address, time at this residence, phone number, date of birth, employment status (full-time, part-time, seasonal or self-employed), time at your current employer, annual income and your monthly mortgage or rent costs. Click “Next” once you’ve completed these fields.
- Continue to Step 2. Provide your email address and password to create your account. Click “Get My Terms” to see what rates you’ve pre-qualified for.
I got a car through Carooga. Now what?
When Carooga delivers your new car to your home, you’ll begin your test-drive period. Take the car for a spin as much as you can to get a feel for the vehicle and if you’re happy with it. You have up to 7 days/800 km to decide if it’s a keeper. If you’re not happy with it, contact Carooga to arrange a pick up and an exchange or refund.
If you’re financing your car through Carooga, you’ll also work with a loan specialist to arrange the details of your car loan and repayment plan. If you’ve sourced financing through a lender not affiliated with Carooga, make sure you’re aware of your loan schedule so you can keep up with payments.