Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Honda Civic insurance rates
Compare quotes to find out how much you’ll have to pay for Honda Civic insurance in Canada.
Your Honda Civic insurance cost will vary based on multiple factors such as your province, driving record, the age of your vehicle and how much coverage you want. We’ve compiled an analysis of the average cost of Honda Civic insurance based on a standard driver profile below. Just be aware that this price will fluctuate and is only meant to serve as a guideline.
How much does Honda Civic insurance cost in Canada?
The average Honda Civic insurance cost is around $265 a month or $3,180 a year (for a 2021 model). With a base price of $23,475, the annual insurance cost–to–base car price ratio is 14%. This popular sedan has a high theft rate, causing high insurance rates compared to other sedans.
Originally released in 1972, the Honda Civic has since become one of the best selling vehicles in North America. The Civic is currently in its tenth generation, which is available as a coupe, sedan or hatchback. Packed with a number of safety and driver assistance features, finding coverage for the Honda Civic should be no problem.
Compare free Honda Civic insurance quotes online
Your actual Honda Civic insurance cost could vary depending on where you live, what your driving record looks like, the annual kilometres you drive and other factors. This is why it’s important to get Honda insurance quotes that reflect your situation. For example, rates in Ontario are among the highest in the country compared to provinces like Quebec and PEI.
Honda insurance rates
|Model||Monthly insurance rate||Base car price|
How to compare Honda insurance
Here are a few factors to consider when comparing Honda Civic insurance:
- Price. In order to accurately compare prices, it’s important to use the same information when getting Honda Civic auto insurance quotes from providers.
- Deductible. Your deductible amount can affect the cost of your premiums. The higher your deductible, the lower your premium in most cases (and vice versa).
- Minimum coverage. Minimum coverage amounts can vary by province so it’s important to make sure your policy is substantial enough to cover your needs.
- Additional coverage. You can add supplementary coverage such as accident forgiveness or emergency assistance for an added fee.
- Restrictions. Find out if any restrictions apply to your Honda Civic insurance policy to avoid gaps in coverage or denied claims.
- Manufacturer offer or loyalty discount. Ask your dealership if you’re eligible for manufacturer offers or loyalty discounts to save on your insurance.
- Warranty. Find out what’s covered by your manufacturer or extended warranty to avoid paying for overlapping Honda insurance coverage.
Tips to get the lowest cost for Honda Civic insurance
You can lower your Honda Civic insurance cost if you follow these tips:
- Choose a less sporty model. Avoid purchasing a 2-door coupe or a 6-cylinder Honda Civic if you want to save on insurance.
- Use anti-theft devices. Upgrade your vehicle with anti-theft devices such as a car alarm or steering wheel lock to lower your premiums.
- Increase your deductible. Cut your Honda Civic insurance costs by increasing the deductible you have to pay to make a claim.
- Practice defensive driving. Take a course or download a safe driving app to qualify for lower Honda Civic insurance premiums with some agents.
- Bundle your insurance. Some providers let you bundle your Honda Civic insurance with other types of insurance (such as home or multi-car insurance) to save money.
- Compare multiple policies. Compare several providers to make sure you get the lowest Honda Civic insurance cost possible.
What factors affect your Honda Civic insurance cost?
Insurance providers consider your driving history, location, marital status, gender, annual kilometres and many other factors when calculating your premiums. However, one of the most important factors is the actual vehicle you drive. This is because performance, safety features, theft rates and other elements can vary between makes and models. Here’s how the Honda Civic’s characteristics could affect the cost of car insurance.
- Body type. The Civic is available in a coupe, sedan, or hatchback. The sedan and hatchback versions should be cheaper to insure.
- Type of car. The Honda Civic is designed for light use like family trips and daily driving. Its low-risk profile could reduce the cost of insurance.
- Theft. Earlier Honda Civics were frequently stolen, but the newer models come equipped with great security features. That said, sedans are stolen more frequently than any other type of vehicle, so choosing that option could lead to more expensive auto insurance.
- Repairs. Parts and service should be easy to find and affordable. This could bring down the cost of insurance.
- Safety ratings. The Honda Civic holds near-perfect safety ratings in almost every category, which may reduce the cost of your premiums.
- Fuel type. Gas vehicles are generally cheaper to insure than diesel or hybrid vehicles. Since the Civic runs on gas, insurance premiums should be cheaper.
- Trim & packages. Choosing packages that increase power or overall value could raise the cost of insurance. However, features that improve visibility and safety may reduce the cost.
How much does a Honda Civic cost?
The cost of a Honda Civic will vary depending on where you buy, what year the car is and how much interest you have to pay over time. Honda Civic costs for a 2020 model can vary between $18,500 and $28,900. You’ll usually pay less for older models, especially if you buy them used. You’ll also pay less for basic builds that don’t include extras such as sunroofs, chrome rims or heated seats.
How much is a Honda Civic when you buy it used?
A Honda Civic will typically cost less when you buy it used, especially if it’s an older model. For example, you may be able to buy a used 2016 Honda Civic with low kms for as little as $12,000. The price you get will depend on the condition of the vehicle, how much mileage it has and where you buy it.
How much is a Honda Civic when you buy the basic model?
The Honda Civic cost for a basic model will almost always be less expensive than a more “souped up” version. Different trims also come with different prices so you should do your own research to find the model that has the features you want at a price you can afford. Avoid going for the sporty models if you want to save money on your Honda Civic insurance cost as well.
Can I get discounts on my Honda Civic insurance cost?
Your car could be eligible for Honda Civic insurance discounts depending on which provider you choose. Look for the following discounts when you make your comparison:
- New car discount
- Anti-lock brake discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Passive restraint discount (airbags, motorized seat belts, etc.)
- Emergency roadside assistance discount
Honda Civic maintenance
The Honda Civic is an affordable daily driver that’s designed to run smoothly with little maintenance costs. While it won’t require maintenance as often as a sports car would, keeping a routine service schedule is always a good idea. Even standard procedures like oil changes, replacing air filters and inspecting parts can help keep your maintenance costs down in the long run.
Examples of Honda Civic maintenance costs
|Oil change||Every 3 months or 5,000 km||$50 to $150|
|Replace air filters||Between 20,000 and 40,000 km or every 2 years||$20 to $40|
|Replace fuel filter||Once per year||$50 to $150|
|Full vehicle inspection||Once per year||$80 to $150|
There are many other Honda Civic maintenance costs you’ll need to consider aside from those in the table above. The average Honda Civic maintenance cost will probably run you between $200 and $500 per year. That said, the cost could be much steeper if you need significant repairs or you don’t perform routine maintenance.
Is an extended warranty worth it for the Honda Civic?
The Honda Civic is backed by Honda’s standard 3-year/60,000-kilometre warranty and 5-year/100,000-kilometre powertrain warranty. The warranty also covers genuine Honda accessories for 3 years or 60,000 kilometres, as long as they are installed when the vehicle is purchased. Additionally, the Civic comes with a 3-year/unlimited-miles corrosion warranty and 3 year emergency roadside assistance.
You may be able to keep your Honda Civic maintenance costs lower if you sign up for an extended warranty. This usually won’t cover routine Honda Civic maintenance costs but it could cover you for larger and more costly repairs.
The cost of Honda Civic auto insurance varies based on a number of personal factors such as your driving record, age, location and coverage amounts. You can find out more about the Honda Civic insurance cost you’ll have to pay by comparing your options and requesting quotes with multiple providers.
Frequently asked questions about Honda Civic insurance
More guides on Finder
Investing in car stocks
Top car stocks and ETFs that track the category.
CIBC Aeroplan Visa for Students Review
Earn Aeroplan Points and other travel benefits with the CIBC Aeroplan Visa for Students.
How to lower car insurance costs
You don’t need to pay more for car insurance than necessary. Find out the 9 easiest ways to pay less and save on your monthly car insurance bill.
Canada Drives car loan review
Canada Drives simplifies the process of buying a car, showing you how much you can borrow along with a list of vehicles you’ve already qualified for based on your approved financing.
Annual renewable term life insurance
Think of this as a one-year contract with your life insurance company.
aha home insurance review
Consider aha insurance if you’re searching for a simple, affordable and fast home insurance solution.
aha car insurance review
aha car insurance is an optimal solution for individuals in Ontario that want quick, stable coverage.
Onlia car insurance review
Onlia auto insurance is a favourable solution for individuals that want quick, easy-to-understand coverage.
Capital One car rental insurance
All Capital One Mastercard credit cards in Canada offer car rental insurance. Find out how this feature works and compare cards offering it here.
Sun Life Go Guaranteed Life Insurance review
Sun Life Go Guaranteed Life Insurance is a permanent life insurance option that guarantees your premiums until you’re 95 years old. Apply online in minutes.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.