Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How much does Acura RDX insurance cost?
Find out the average Acura RDX car insurance rate.
On average, auto insurance for a 2021 Acura RDX costs about $160 a month – or $1,920 per year. However, keep in mind that your location plays a significant role in how much you’ll pay for insurance, along with a number of other factors including your age, driving history, and more.
Compare free car insurance quotes online for your Acura RDX
How to compare insurance for the Acura RDX
Shopping for auto insurance can get confusing. Many providers seem to offer similar policies, discounts, and features, making it difficult to compare your options. Regardless of what vehicle you drive, there are a number of factors you should take into consideration when choosing a provider and policy. Here are a few tips:
- Price. Although price is important, it’s best used a tool to compare similar policy options rather than your deciding factor.
- Deductible. Choose a deductible that suits your budget and situation. Higher deductibles may cost more up front but can make for lower monthly premiums. Similarly, a lower deductible costs less if you file a claim, but could cost you more in monthly premiums
- Minimum coverage. Every province and territory requires drivers to have car insurance. Make sure your provincial or territorial minimums are met before choosing a policy.
- Additional coverage. Personal injury protection and uninsured motorist coverage are just two of the many available types of extended coverage. Be sure to choose a provider that offers the additional coverage you need.
- Extras. Accident forgiveness, roadside assistance and no-deductible glass repair are all extras that may be available on your policy. If extra features are important to you, be sure to speak with your provider to find out what’s available.
- Restrictions. Some policies may have restrictions on ridesharing, traveling out of the country, or other limitations. Be aware of any restrictions to avoid gaps in coverage or bring denied claims.
- Manufacturer offer or loyalty discount. Some manufacturers have partnerships with insurance providers to provide special offers or discounts. Speak with your Acura dealer to find out if any offers are available.
- Warranty. Find out what coverage is offered through your manufacturer warranty to avoid paying for extra coverage you don’t need
What factors affect car insurance rates for Acura RDX?
Auto insurance providers consider a handful of factors when determining your premiums. While driver details, location, policy options and other variables can influence your rates, the type of vehicle you drive also plays a part. Here’s how the Acura RDX measures up:
- Body type. The RDX is considered a compact SUV, which is often cheaper to insure than medium-sized SUVs like the Acura MDX. This is based on things like cost of repairs, passenger safety in the event of an accident and more.
- Type of car. SUVs are often considered lower risk than sports cars and coupes, making them cheaper to insure compared to something like the NSX.
- Theft. SUVs are stolen less frequently than sedans, which may make them more affordable to insure.
- Repairs. The Acura RDX is produced both in Canada and abroad, making it easy to get a hold of parts and service. However, it’s a luxury SUV, so body damage could be expensive to repair.
- Safety ratings. The RDX has great safety ratings and crash test results which may reduce the overall cost of auto insurance.
How do trim packages and extra build options affect insurance cost?
The trim and packages on your Acura RDX can also influence the price you pay for auto insurance. Depending on the options, packages can make the vehicle more comfortable, reduce the risk of collisions, or make it safer overall, which could translate to lower premiums. However, if you install a sports package or opt for a larger engine, you may end up paying more for insurance due to increased value and more horsepower. Here are a few of the options available on the Acura RDX:
- Tech. This package includes a navigation system, blind spot information system, rear cross traffic monitor system, and more. With the help of these features, your RDX may be safer to operate, which could translate to cheaper premiums.
- Platinum Elite. Surround view camera system, fog lights, and auto-dimming side mirrors can help increase visibility and safety, in turn reducing your auto insurance rates.
- Trailer hitch. While this feature may be convenient, it might also pose a higher risk of damaging your vehicle if you plan on doing a lot of towing. Therefore, you might see an increase in your premiums.
- Alloy wheels. Upgrading your wheels is expensive and might increase the chances of them being stolen. Therefore, you might end up paying more on your auto insurance.
- LED fog lights. Fog lights drastically increase visibility, making for a safer drive and reducing the risk of accidents. Installing this feature might get you better rates on insurance.
- Wheel locks. This feature makes it much harder to steal your wheels and many providers recognize that. You can probably get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you have them installed.
Acura RDX money-saving safety features
You could save money on car insurance for your Acura RDX if it comes equipped with these safety features.
- Anti-lock brakes
- Anti-theft device
- Passive restraints
- Adaptative cruise control
- Lane departure system
Does the Acura RDX qualify for auto insurance discounts?
Your vehicle may be eligible for various auto insurance discounts depending on which provider you choose. However, the exact discounts you receive may vary depending on location, provider, options, and other factors. Here are a few that should apply to the Acura RDX:
- New car discount
- Anti-lock brake discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Passive restraint discount (Airbags, motorized seat belts, etc.)
- Usage or low mileage discount
- Emergency roadside assistance discount
How reliable is the Acura RDX?
Acura is well known for reliable vehicles and the RDX is no different. According to JD Power consumer ratings, the 2020 model received a 71/100 rating for reliability. While that rating isn’t outstanding, it demonstrates that the Acura RDX is on par or above average compared to similar SUVs. In fact, it ranks the #12 in the SUV category.
Like with any vehicle, there have been some recalls on Acura RDX models over the years, including:
- 2007-2015: The front driver’s airbag in some models might deploy with too much pressure which could injury someone in the event of a crash.
How safe is the Acura RDX?
Acura has a great reputation for safety and the RDX is no exception. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2020 RDX was a Top Safety Pick+ for midsize luxury SUVs. Additionally, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration gave it a perfect 5-star overall safety rating.
Acura RDX maintenance
Routine maintenance can help ensure that your Acura RDX lasts as long as possible. Here’s what to expect in terms of maintenance costs, mileage, and more.
- An oil change for an Acura RDX generally can cost around $80 from a mechanic or a bit more from an Acura dealership.
- The 2018 Acura RDX gets an average of 9.9 L per 100 km, with 11.0 in the city and 8.6 on the highway.
- Acura recommends that customers have their vehicle serviced at an official Acura dealer, but if you choose to take it elsewhere, your warranty will NOT be voided.
- The 2020 Acura RDX comes with Acura’s standard 5-year/100,000-km basic warranty and 4-year/80,000-km battery warranty. However, Acura also offers multiple extended warranty options.
Is an extended warranty worth it for the Acura RDX?
Acura has a reputation for reliable vehicles but if you plan on owning your vehicle for a long period of time, parts may break after your warranty is up. If you choose to get an extended warranty, Acura offers a number of options that are available at the time of purchase, or at a later date for an added fee. The rates below are offered to customers who purchase an extended warranty within 60 days of vehicle purchase.
|5 Year/ 100,000 km||$1,018||$1,508||$1,678||$2,018|
|6 Year/ 100,000 km||$1,338||$1,998||$2,228||$2,438|
|6 Year/ 160,000 km||$1,738||$2,778||$2,988||$3,278|
|7 Year/ 130,000 km||$1,718||$2,678||$2,888||$3,148|
|7 Year/ 160,000 km||$1,938||$3,228||$3,438||$3,778|
|7 Year/ 200,000 km||$2,328||$3,588||$4,148||$4,488|
|8 Year/ 200,000 km||$2,668||$4,148||$4,768||$5,258|
*Prices accurate as of October 1st, 2020.
|Standard warranty coverage||Plus extended warranty coverage|
|Climate control||4 year / 80,000 km||7 year / 200,000 km|
|Security System||4 year / 80,000 km||7 year / 200,000 km|
|Brakes||4 year / 80,000 km||7 year / 200,000 km|
|Electrical||4 year / 80,000 km||7 year / 200,000 km|
|Suspension||4 year / 80,000 km||7 year / 200,000 km|
|Steering||4 year / 80,000 km||7 year / 200,000 km|
|Fuel System||4 year / 80,000 km||7 year / 200,000 km|
|Powertrain||5 year / 100,000 km||7 year / 200,000 km|
About the Acura RDX
The Acura RDX has been around since 2007. The Acura RDX model is among one of the top compact luxury SUVs in the country. The Acura RDX was awarded a five-star overall safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and is a Top Safety Pick+ by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for the 2020 model.
Insurance companies determine the insurance cost for an Acura RDX based on safety and theft ratings, replacement costs and overall damage susceptibility. Insurance rates can change based on your driving history and location. If you’re considering an Acura RDX, grab quotes from several insurance companies to find the lowest premium before you commit. Do your research to see if you qualify for insurance discounts.
While the Acura RDX costs $160 per month on average, it has a number of features that may be eligible for auto insurance discounts. Like many other Acura models, the RDX holds great safety ratings from many trusted sources. It’s worth noting that it’s classified as a midsize luxury SUV, which may play a part in the inflated insurance prices. However, the price you pay for insurance depends on a number of factors, so it’s important to compare your options to find out exactly how much you’ll pay based on your situation.
Frequently asked questions about the Acura RDX
More guides on Finder
How to lower car insurance costs
You don’t need to pay more for car insurance than necessary. Find out the 9 easiest ways to pay less and save on your monthly car insurance bill.
aha car insurance review
aha car insurance is an optimal solution for individuals in Ontario that want quick, stable coverage.
Onlia car insurance review
Onlia auto insurance is a favourable solution for individuals that want quick, easy-to-understand coverage.
Capital One car rental insurance
All Capital One Mastercard credit cards in Canada offer car rental insurance. Find out how this feature works and compare cards offering it here.
How your driving record affects car insurance rates
Find out what shows up on your driving record, how insurers use your record and tips to improve it.
Cheapest cars to insure
Use our our helpful guide to compare the cheapest and most expensive cars to insure.
Car Insurance Statistics
The economic shutdowns saw more cars in driveways than on the roads. Finder looked at Canada’s top insurance platforms to see how interest has changed over time.
How much is the average car payment in Canada?
Looking to buy a new car? Find out how much Canadians will typically spend on car payments.
Car loan insurance
Worried about defaulting on your new vehicle? Get car loan insurance to make sure you’re protected if you can’t make your payments.
Luxury car insurance in 2021
Protect your luxury car with a customized policy that offers higher coverage options and special perks.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.