Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Car insurance in Vancouver
Learn more about basic car insurance in Vancouver and compare providers to find the best rates for extended coverage.
Quick facts for car insurance in Vancouver
Minimum liability coverage
You may need to pay over $2,000 per year to get car insurance in Vancouver, which is BC’s largest city. Even if you apply discounts and get the absolute minimum level of coverage, you’ll still likely pay higher rates in Vancouver than you will in the rest of the province. This holds true whether you only have third-party liability or if you choose to add collision and comprehensive onto your policy.
Average cost of car insurance in Vancouver
The average cost of car insurance in Vancouver will typically exceed $2,000 based on the minimum level of coverage. This is higher than the average provincial estimate, which sits at $1,832 per year since it factors in the cost of multiple risk factors for large cities. These include more traffic congestion, more pedestrians, more thefts and narrower streets.
The cost of your car insurance will also depend on other personal factors such as your age, your gender, which neighbourhood you live in, how much you drive each year, how long you’ve been driving for and whether you’ve had any accidents in the past few years. This makes it difficult to figure out what the true average rate would be when applied across all demographics.
Cheapest car insurance in Vancouver
It’s hard to say where you can find the cheapest car insurance in Vancouver. This is because it’s not possible to compare rates unless you go into an ICBC Autoplan broker to get a quote. That said, you may be able to apply for extended insurance online, but you’ll need to know your base rate from ICBC first to get a full picture of how much your insurance will cost.
Even without exact numbers, it’s safe to say that you’ll typically pay less for insurance if you live on the outskirts or suburbs of Vancouver. You’ll typically pay higher rates if you live in the downtown core or commute to work in the city every day. You may also be required to pay more if you live in a high-risk neighbourhood with a high number of accidents or thefts.
Which company offers the best car insurance?
It’s difficult to pinpoint which company offers the best car insurance in Vancouver. There are dozens of reputable car insurance agencies that operate in the city, including reputable brands such as Allstate, The Co-operators and BCAA. Many brokers will also sell third-party collision and comprehensive insurance for companies such as Intact, Economical and RSA.
To get the best car insurance in Vancouver, you may want to source quotes from at least five car insurance companies. You can find the brokers that work nearest you with a handy tool available from ICBC. It also makes sense to check available discounts if you want to knock your monthly premiums down.
Minimum provincial requirements for Vancouver car insurance
You’ll be required to purchase ICBC’s mandatory Autoplan coverage if you live in Vancouver. This includes the following types of car insurance:
- Liability insurance. Pays for medical bills and vehicle damage for another driver if you get into an accident with them that’s deemed to be your fault (minimum $200,000).
- Accident benefits. Reimburses you for your own medical expenses and time off work if you get into an accident.
- Uninsured motorist coverage. Covers the cost of various expenses if you get into a collision with an uninsured motorist or hit-and-run driver.
- Inverse liability protection. Gives you protection in parts of Canada or the US where local laws don’t let you claim against the person who caused your crash.
Are there eligibility requirements for car insurance in Vancouver?
To apply for car insurance in Vancouver, you’ll typically need to meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have a valid Canadian driver’s licence
- Own the vehicle you wish to insure
- Be willing to purchase the minimum amount of liability coverage
How to apply
If you think you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for car insurance coverage with these simple steps:
- Visit an ICBC Autoplan broker or compare quotes online for extended insurance from a number of different companies.
- Decide on a provider that seems to be the best fit for your unique set of needs and budget.
- Upload the required documentation to get your insurance – including a valid driver’s licence, proof of address and the bill of sale for your vehicle.
- Get verified and work with your car insurance provider to negotiate the terms of your coverage if you meet the eligibility requirements.
How can I lower my premiums in Vancouver?
It’s difficult to lower your car insurance premiums in Vancouver because ICBC has a monopoly on the car insurance industry in BC. That said, you may be able to do the following to get a better deal on your next policy:
- Apply for discounts. Look into what discounts you could be eligible for with ICBC and the provider you get your extended coverage through.
- Maintain a clean driving record. Drive safely and according to the rules of the road to avoid traffic violations and collisions that could drive up your premiums.
- Keep your mileage low. Get behind the wheel on an as-needed basis and get discounts when you keep your mileage below 5,000km per year.
- Get the lowest level of basic coverage. Pay for only the minimum level of third-party liability ($200,000) to get the absolute lowest premiums.
- List a more experienced primary driver. List your parents, your spouse or another more experienced driver as the primary driver on your insurance to save money.
- Pay annually instead of monthly. Pay your insurance premiums in one lump sum to get a discount on your rates.
It will likely cost you more to get car insurance in Vancouver than it will in the rest of BC. This is because big cities have a higher rate of accidents and thefts than small towns and less central hubs. Find out how much you’ll likely have to pay for car insurance in Vancouver and compare providers today to get the best insurance for your unique set of needs and budget.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Compare Car Loans
Compare the best car loans in Canada to get on the road faster and keep more money in your pocket.
Compare Car Loans
Need a car loan to finance your new set of wheels? Compare the best car loans here to get on the road faster with more money in your pocket.
Compare cheap pet insurance
Compare the cheap pet insurance with low deductibles, coverage limits and plan features.
How to lower car insurance costs
You don’t need to pay more for car insurance than necessary. Find out the 9 easiest ways to pay less and save on your monthly car insurance bill.
Assumption Life Insurance Review
Secure life insurance from this reputable provider to make sure you and your family are covered in an emergency.
Canada Protection Plan Life Insurance Review
Protect your family’s quality of life in the event of your death with life insurance products from this reputable provider.
Canada Drives car loan review
Canada Drives simplifies the process of buying a car, showing you how much you can borrow along with a list of vehicles you’ve already qualified for based on your approved financing.
How to get life insurance with skin cancer
Your eligibility and rates will depend on the type of cancer you had and your current health. Compare providers and learn what to expect.
Canada Auto Finance Review
Do you need a car loan but you don’t have the best credit? Canada Auto Finance connects you with local dealers to help you secure auto financing at competitive rates to help you buy a car.
aha car insurance review
aha car insurance is an optimal solution for individuals in Ontario that want quick, stable coverage.