Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy British Airways (IAG.L) stock in Canada
Invest in British Airways through its parent company, International Consolidated Airlines Group, which trades on the London Stock Exchange.
British Airways stock is now publicly available on the London Stock Exchange through its parent company, International Consolidated Airlines Group (IAG.L). Investors in Canada can buy British Airways stock with an international brokerage account.
Note: all dollar amounts on this page are in US dollars unless otherwise stated.
Company information and financials
British Airways is the second largest airline in the UK (according to the number of passengers carried annually) and boasts a fleet of 249 aircraft. Its 2019 revenue was EUR 1.33 billion, up 2.5% from EUR 1.30 billion in 2018. British Airways posted annual losses of EUR 7 billion in 2020 (around USD 8.26 billion), due in large part to the economic impact of COVID-19.
British Airways is owned by the International Airlines Group (IAG), which is registered in Spain and trades on both the London Stock Exchange and the Spanish Stock Exchange. IAG manages a fleet of over 530 aircraft and transported around 118 million passengers annually prior to COVID-19. Between 2015 and 2019, IAG averaged revenues of EUR 23.61 billion EUR (roughly USD 27.67 billion). Similar to British Airways, IAG’s 2020 revenue plunged to EUR 7.81 billion due to COVID-19.
Can I buy British Airways stock from Canada?
You can’t buy British Airways stock on a Canadian stock exchange like the TSX or CSE. Instead, you need a Canadian broker that provides access to stocks sold on the London Stock Exchange (LSE), the market in which the parent company of British Airways is publicly traded. However, some Canadian brokerages don’t offer access to international investments at all or only provide access to a limited range of investment opportunities.
Interactive Brokers provides access to many stock exchanges around the world including the London Stock Exchange (LSE), New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), NASDAQ, Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), Hong Kong Stock Exchange (SEHK), Korea Stock Exchange (KSE), National Stock Exchange of India (NSE) and Frankfurt Stock Exchange (FWB).
The process of buying stocks listed on international exchanges is basically the same as buying stocks in a Canadian company. You buy and sell using your online trading account or through an investment broker who handles international stocks.
How to buy British Airways stock
To buy stock in the parent company of British Airways—International Consolidated Airlines Group—you need an international brokerage account. Here’s how it works:
- Compare share trading platforms. If you’re a beginner, look for a platform with low commissions, expert ratings and investment tools to track your portfolio. Narrow down top brands with our comparison table.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and bank information. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for International Consolidated Airlines Group. Find the stock by name or ticker symbol: IAG.L. Research its history to confirm it’s a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy immediately with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until International Consolidated Airlines Group reaches your desired price. To spread out your purchase, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimize risk through the market’s ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of International Consolidated Airlines Group, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of British Airways. Optimize your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
Access international stock exchanges (including the LSE)
To buy stocks, you’ll need to open a brokerage account. Compare your options using the table below to find the best fit for you.
Note: The dollar amounts in the table below are in Canadian dollars.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Onion Global Limited (OG) stock in Canada when it goes public
Everything we know about the Onion Global Limited IPO, plus information on how to buy in.
How to buy WhatsApp stock in Canada
Investors can back WhatsApp indirectly by buying stock in its parent company, Facebook.
How to buy Mednow Inc. (MNOW) stock
Invest in this innovative virtual pharmacy and healthcare service with an online stock trading account.
Investing in coal stocks
What to know before investing in this fossil fuel that’s critical to energy production.
How to buy Dialogue Health Technologies (CARE) stock
Invest in this leading Canadian virtual healthcare provider with an online stock trading account.
How to buy Deliveroo (ROO.L) stock in Canada
Canadian investors will need an international stock trading account to invest in this popular British delivery service.
How to buy Conduit Holdings (CRE.L) stock in Canada
Investors in Canada will need an international brokerage account to buy Conduit Holdings stock.
How to invest in blockchain stocks
Comprehensive guide on blockchain stock investing, benefits, risks, main stocks, blockchain ETFs, and more.
Investing in airline stocks
The airline industry saw a decade of gains shot down by COVID-19. When might they rise again?
How to buy Magnet Forensics stock in Canada
Canadian investors can now buy Magnet Forensics stock on the TSX.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.