Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
How to buy Bakkt Holdings stock in Canada when it goes public
Here's everything we know so far about the Bakkt Holdings IPO.
Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Here’s what you need to know about investing in Bakkt Holdings from Canada after the company’s IPO.
Note: all dollar amounts on this page are in US dollars unless otherwise stated.
What we know about the Bakkt Holdings IPO
Digital asset marketplace Bakkt Holdings, a subsidiary of Intercontinental Exchange, is planning to go public through a merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), also known as a blank check company. SPACs are companies with no commercial operations that exist purely to raise capital through IPOs. No date has been set for the merger.
The SPAC, VPC Impact Acquisition Holdings, originally went public in July 2020 and currently trades on the Nasdaq under the ticker symbol “VIH.”
We will update this page as new information becomes public.
Will I be able to buy Bakkt Holdings stocks from Canada?
You won’t be able to buy Bakkt Holdings stocks on a Canadian stock exchange like the TSX or CSE, but you can from a Canadian-based brokerage that offers international access to companies listed on US stock exchanges. Specifically, you’ll need access to the NYSE, the exchange on which Bakkt Holdings stocks will be traded.
The process of buying stocks in a US company while living in Canada is the same as buying stocks in a Canadian company. You buy and sell using your online trading account or through an investment broker who handles US stocks.
How to buy shares in Bakkt Holdings when it goes public
Once Bakkt Holdings goes public, you’ll need a brokerage account to invest. Consider opening a brokerage account today so you’re ready as soon as the stock hits the market.
- Compare stock trading platforms. If you’re a beginner, look for a platform with low commissions, expert ratings and investment tools to track your portfolio. Narrow down top brands with our comparison table.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and bank information. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for Bakkt Holdings. Find the stock by name or ticker symbol. Research its history to confirm it’s a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy immediately with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until Bakkt Holdings reaches your desired price. To spread out your purchase, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. Weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimize risk through the market’s ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of Bakkt Holdings, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Optimize your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and the business as a whole — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management decisions that affect your stocks.
Tax implications of buying US stocks in Canada
Agreements between Canada and the US require Canadians holding US stock investments to pay the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) a 15% withholding tax on any dividends earned on their US stocks. Interest earned from bonds or other interest-yielding US investments are similarly taxed at a rate of 10%.
An exception is made for stock investments held in trust exclusively designed to provide retirement income. Such trusts include RRIFs, LIRAs, LIFs, LRIFs and Prescribed RRIFs. RRSPs are also exempt from US withholding tax if you own US investments in the form of US stocks, bonds or ETFs.
All income from investments, including foreign investments, must be declared as part of your income on your Canadian tax return. Unless your US earnings are exempt from withholding tax, this means you’ll be double taxed on those earnings — first by the IRS, then by the CRA. However, the CRA may allow you to claim foreign tax credits for any taxes you’ve already paid to the IRS.
Speak with a tax professional to find out what rules and exceptions apply to your circumstances.
Compare trading platforms that provide access to Canadian and US stocks
Compare special offers, fees structures and a types of investments that are available with some of Canada’s top stock trading platforms.
Note: The dollar amounts in the table below are in Canadian dollars.
More on investing
Companies are going public via direct listings and IPOs. Which should you invest in?Read more…
Biden’s plan to replace the federal fleet with American-made electric vehicles gives another boost to a red-hot sector led by Tesla.Read more…
Cruise ship stocks are sailing through murky waters, but can they rise?Read more…
More guides on Finder
How to buy WhatsApp stock in Canada
Investors can back WhatsApp indirectly by buying stock in its parent company, Facebook.
Biden plans another boost for electric car stocks
Biden’s plan to replace the federal fleet with American-made electric vehicles gives another boost to a red-hot sector led by Tesla.
How to buy Mednow Inc. (MNOW) stock
Invest in this innovative virtual pharmacy and healthcare service with an online stock trading account.
Investing in Bitcoin: ETFs or buying outright?
SPONSORED: Bitcoin has been around for over a decade – does it really need an ETF?
Investing in cruise ship stocks
Cruise ship stocks are sailing through murky waters, but can they rise?
Investing in Chinese stocks
Pros and cons to consider before investing in Chinese stocks.
Investing in coal stocks
What to know before investing in this fossil fuel that’s critical to energy production.
Investing in car stocks
Top car stocks and ETFs that track the category.
How to buy Dialogue Health Technologies (CARE) stock
Invest in this leading Canadian virtual healthcare provider with an online stock trading account.
How to buy Deliveroo (ROO.L) stock in Canada
Canadian investors will need an international stock trading account to invest in this popular British delivery service.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.