Indoor vertical farming company AeroFarms is expected to go public via a merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC). We'll update this page as new information becomes available. In the meantime, here's how investors in Canada can buy in.
Note: all dollar amounts on this page are in US dollars unless otherwise stated.
What we know about the AeroFarms IPO
Indoor farming technology company AeroFarms is planning to go public through a merger with a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC), also known as a blank check company. SPACs are companies with no commercial operations that exist purely to raise capital through IPOs. The deal is expected to close in the second quarter of 2021.
The SPAC, Spring Valley Acquisition Corporation, originally went public in November 2020 and currently trades on the Nasdaq under the ticker symbol "SV." After the merger, the company will trade on the Nasdaq under the ticker "ARFM."
Will I be able to buy AeroFarms stocks from Canada?
You won't be able to buy AeroFarms stocks on a Canadian stock exchange like the TSX or CSE. Instead, you'll need a Canadian broker that provides access to stocks sold on international exchanges. However, some Canadian brokerages don't offer access to international investments at all or only provide access to a limited range of investment opportunities.
You can access US exchanges like the NYSE and the NASDAQ using Canadian trading platforms like Questrade, Wealthsimple, Scotia iTRADE and Interactive Brokers. Interactive Brokers also provides access to many stock exchanges outside North America like the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (SEHK), Korea Stock Exchange (KSE), National Stock Exchange of India (NSE), Frankfurt Stock Exchange (FWB) and London Stock Exchange (LSE).
The process of buying stocks listed on international exchanges is basically the same as buying stocks in a Canadian company. You buy and sell using your online trading account or through an investment broker who handles international stocks.
How to buy shares in AeroFarms when it goes public
Once AeroFarms goes public, you'll need a brokerage account to invest. Consider opening a brokerage account today so you're ready as soon as the stock hits the market.
- Compare share trading platforms. If you're a beginner, look for a platform with low commissions, expert ratings and investment tools to track your portfolio. Narrow down top brands with our comparison table.
- Open and fund your brokerage account. Complete an application with your personal and financial details, like your ID and bank information. Fund your account with a bank transfer, credit card or debit card.
- Search for AeroFarms. Find the stock by name or ticker symbol: ARFM. Research its history to confirm it's a solid investment against your financial goals.
- Purchase now or later. Buy immediately with a market order or use a limit order to delay your purchase until AeroFarms reaches your desired price. To spread out your purchase, look into dollar-cost averaging, which smooths out buying at consistent intervals and amounts.
- Decide on how many to buy. Weigh your budget against a diversified portfolio that can minimize risk through the market's ups and downs. You may be able to buy a fractional share of AeroFarms, depending on your broker.
- Check in on your investment. Congratulations, you own a part of AeroFarms. Optimize your portfolio by tracking how your stock — and even the business — performs with an eye on the long term. You may be eligible for dividends and shareholder voting rights on directors and management that can affect your stock.
Tax implications of buying US stocks in Canada
Agreements between Canada and the US require Canadians holding US stock investments to pay the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) a 15% withholding tax on any dividends earned on their US stocks. Interest earned from bonds or other interest-yielding US investments are similarly taxed at a rate of 10%.
An exception is made for stock investments held in trust exclusively designed to provide retirement income. Such trusts include RRIFs, LIRAs, LIFs, LRIFs and Prescribed RRIFs. RRSPs are also exempt from US withholding tax if you own US investments in the form of US stocks, bonds or ETFs.
All income from investments, including foreign investments, must be declared as part of your income on your Canadian tax return. Unless your US earnings are exempt from withholding tax, this means you'll be double taxed on those earnings — first by the IRS, then by the CRA. However, the CRA may allow you to claim foreign tax credits for any taxes you've already paid to the IRS.
Speak with a tax professional to find out what rules and exceptions apply to your circumstances.
Compare online stock trading platforms
Note: The dollar amounts in the table below are in Canadian dollars.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Zillow Group stock in Canada | $114.49
Steps to owning and managing Z, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Rigel Pharmaceuticals stock in Canada | $3.72
Steps to owning and managing RIGL, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Ionis Pharmaceuticals stock in Canada | $37.25
Steps to owning and managing IONS, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Forrester Research stock in Canada | $42.91
Steps to owning and managing FORR, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Credit Acceptance Corporation stock in Canada | $447.46
Steps to owning and managing CACC, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Watts Water Technologies stock in Canada | $135.6
Steps to owning and managing WTS, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy State Street Corporation stock in Canada | $86.06
Steps to owning and managing STT, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy Reata Pharmaceuticals stock in Canada | $136.74
Steps to owning and managing RETA, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy R1 RCM stock in Canada | $23.15
Steps to owning and managing RCM, with 24-hour and historical pricing before you buy.
How to buy TitanSwap (TITAN) in Canada
This guide will show you step-by-step instructions on how to buy the TitanSwap (TITAN) token as well as a list of exchanges you can trade it on.
Ask an Expert
You must be logged in to post a comment.