Bell Internet Review
Pay less for high-speed Internet with one of Canada’s largest telecommunications providers, Bell Internet.
Bell is a trusted Canadian telecom provider that offers fast Internet at an affordable price. It operates one of Canada’s largest fibre optic networks and even has mobile options for areas that can’t get wired Internet. That said, it only offers fixed Internet packages in certain provinces, so you may not be able to use this provider in some locations.
You can get a number of different Internet packages with Bell, along with special deals for bundling your services. Find out what types of services this provider offers and learn how you can request more information or sign up for an account today.
- Speed. Ranges from 0.13Mbps (download)/0.08Mbps (upload) to 1.5Gbps (download)/940 Mbps (upload)
- Starting price. Starts from between $49.95 and $79.95, depending on your province.
- Minimum contract. No minimum contract for some services, but a $59.95 one-time activation fee for all packages.
- Offers. Bundling Bell Fibe Internet with Bell Fibe TV will save you money, but it’s only available in some provinces.
What is Bell?
Bell is a major telecom company in Canada offering Internet services to a number of provinces. It’s well-known for delivering fibre-optic Internet with some of the fastest speeds in the industry. Just keep in mind that some of the packages on offer from this company may only be available in some provinces and features included in each package will vary depending on where you’re located.
Which provinces can benefit from Bell Fibe Internet services?
Bell only offers fixed Internet services in Ontario, Quebec and other eastern provinces. These include Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. Other provinces can still access mobile Internet and data plans with Bell, but these aren’t usually suitable for home use.
What plans does Bell Internet offer?
Bell Fibe offers a number of different plans with variable features for each province. Instead of listing out separate plans, we’ll just cover what you can expect to find in terms of Internet speed, price and contracting requirements across a number of the plans on offer.
Download speeds for the packages that Bell offers range from 0.13Mbps (download)/0.08Mbps (upload) to 1.5Gbps (download)/940 Mbps (upload) For reference, a 10Mbps speed will let you do just about anything you need to on the Internet, but you may have slight lags here and there. You might also find that your download and upload speeds are much slower. With speeds of 1.5Gbps, you shouldn’t have any streaming issues and you’ll be able to download and upload files in seconds, no matter the size.
Bell has a number of packages running from $49.95 to $124.95, depending on how much Internet you want and how fast you’d like it to be. The starting price you’ll pay will depend on which province you live in. The lowest price is typically available for customers who only want 50 GB of Internet per month with a slower download speed. The highest is for those who want unlimited access with lightning fast downloads.
Bell provides many of its services on a month-to-month basis unless you agree to a minimum contract period (usually one year or more). It’s unclear whether you need to sign on to a minimum contract for Internet services. However, you will need to pay a $59.95 one-time activation fee to get Bell to come and do your install. You may also need to pay a fee to rent your modem.
You’ll only be able to take advantage of certain promotional offers if you live in Ontario or Quebec. These offers usually require you to bundle Fibe TV with your Bell Internet and phone services to get a reduced price. These bundles will usually include your equipment and installation fees as well.
Does Bell allow bundling?
Bell allows bundling of its services in Ontario and Quebec. It offers a discount Fibe TV and Fibe Internet bundle, and you’ll also get an additional discount if you choose to bundle your home phone. In some cases, you might actually pay less to bundle than you would for each individual service. For example, you can get a 1.5Gbps Fibe Internet and TV package in Ontario for $119.95 per month while you’ll pay $124.95 per month for the Internet alone.
What other features should I know about?
There are a number of other features that Bell Internet offers, though you may need to pay an additional monthly fee to access certain add-ons.
- Security features. Get a basic McAfee security subscription on your network or pay extra for an upgraded security package.
- Bell tech expert. Pay more each month to get 24-hour premium support for all of your home computers and Internet-connected devices.
- Whole-home Wi-Fi coverage. Pay a monthly fee to enjoy wall-to-wall coverage in your home using a series of connective devices (called hubs).
- Bell Wi-Fi app. Download the Bell Wi-Fi app to test your Internet speeds and see who’s using your Wi-Fi.
- MyBell account. Manage your Bell Internet bill payments, plan details and usage with this user-friendly online app.
What to watch out for
- Only available in some provinces. You’ll only be able to access Bell Fibe Internet if you live in the eastern provinces (including Quebec and Ontario).
- Activation fee. You’ll have to pay an activation fee of $59.95 to get your Internet installed.
- Modem rental fee. You may need to pay a one-time fee to rent your modem, which can cost up to $199.95 (though you’ll usually get this fee reimbursed).
- Usage caps. Your Bell Internet may be capped with certain plans, which will limit how much you can use your Internet before you have to pay more.
- Prices can change. Prices for your plan may increase during your subscription, so you won’t necessarily maintain a fixed rate for the duration of your service.
- Extras cost more. You’ll usually need to pay more if you want extra features like full-house Wi-Fi coverage or an upgraded security package.
How do I sign up with Bell?
- Search for “Bell Internet” to be securely directed to the Bell Internet sign-up page.
- Fill in your postal code to find out what services Bell Internet offers in your location.
- Complete your application with personal details that include your name, email address and birth date.
- Review and submit your application and wait to hear from Bell about your eligibility.
- Once you’re approved, sign up for a MyBell account to manage your account online and pay your bills.
Bell is one of the largest and most reputable telecom companies in Canada. It offers high-speed, fibre-optic Internet for affordable prices. The main issue with this service is that it’s only offered in certain provinces, so it’s not accessible across the country. Other internet providers might provide coverage in other markets not serviced by Bell Internet and Bell Fibe TV.