BearTax cryptocurrency portfolio tracker and tax app review
Connect your exchanges via API or upload your transaction reports to automatically calculate gains and losses for each trade.
- Great for having the option between API integration or CSV/Excel upload
- Not so great for having an entry-level tier that only offers up to 20 transactions
Check out our full list of pros and cons or read on.
Learn more about:
What is BearTax?
BearTax is a cryptocurrency portfolio tracker and tax tool. It tracks exchange deposits and trades to automatically calculate your gains and losses from cryptocurrency trades. This makes life much easier come tax time.
BearTax uses a smart matching algorithm to automatically tie together deposits and trades to calculate profits or losses. In situations where its algorithm cannot confidently do this, it will ask you to manually confirm.
The end result is that it does the hard work for you, but doesn’t action and process the same kinds of mistakes a fully automated system might.
To use it, you can either plug in your exchange API keys so it can automatically get your trading history, or you can manually upload your trading records to BearTax as a CSV or Excel document.
How to use BearTax
How much does it cost to use BearTax?
The tiers for BearTax’s plans are primarily determined by the number of transactions you want to track. Plans are charged per tax year and in USD.
As of 17 June 2019, BearTax’s pricing structure is as follows:
|Plan||Transactions tracked||Annual cost|
Key features of the BearTax cryptocurrency tax calculator
There are several features to pay attention to when you’re looking for the best cryptocurrency portfolio tracker for your needs.
What does it track?
BearTax calculates your gains and losses from crypto trades over the course of a financial year. It does this by tracking crypto purchases, deposits and trades across multiple exchanges.
How do I sync it?
You can use your exchange API keys to automatically sync your trading data with BearTax. But if you don’t want to hand over your exchange API keys or are using an unsupported exchange, you can download a CSV or Excel document of your trading history from the exchange and then upload that to BearTax.
What exchanges does BearTax support?
Even if BearTax does not directly support an exchange, you can still manually upload CXV or Excel files of your trades made on that exchange.
With supported exchanges, you can track trades automatically. The cryptocurrency exchanges BearTax supports includes the following:
In a nutshell
- Flexible. You can use API integrations or manually upload trade data.
- Wide exchange support. BearTax supports a wide range of exchanges through API and almost all via manual document uploads.
- Smart. The BearTax smart matching algorithm errs on the side of caution by asking for manual confirmation if it’s unsure.
- Limited by transactions. The tiers are based on transaction numbers, so people who frequently trade low volumes may not find it suitable unless they pay for the highest plan (Ultimate).
- Value for money may vary. Whether BearTax offers good value for money depends on your situation.