American Express Business Edge Card review
Get a generous welcome bonus and earn triple the points when you spend money on your business.
The American Express Business Edge Card offers a top return on rewards for small business owners. Earn 3x the points on daily business spend including office supplies & electronics, rides & gas, and eats & drinks and 1x the points on all other purchases.
Purchase Interest Rate
Balance Transfer Rate
|Product Name||American Express Business Edge Card|
|Reward||Earn 3x the points on daily business spend including office supplies & electronics, rides & gas, and eats & drinks and 1x the points on all other purchases.|
|Welcome Offer||Offers 30,000 Welcome Bonus points when you spend $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of membership.|
|Purchase Interest Rate||19.99%|
|Cash Advance Rate||22.99%|
|Balance Transfer Rate||N/A|
|Interest Free Period||21 days|
|Go to site|
- Think about this card if you own a business and want to earn a high return on points.
- Choose something else if you want premium benefits or don’t want to pay an annual fee.
- There’s no minimum annual income to qualify but you’ll have to own a business and have a Canadian line of credit.
If you own a small business and want to maximize your return on rewards for daily purchases, you might benefit from the American Express Business Edge Card.
- High return. Earn 3x the points on daily business spend including office supplies & electronics, rides & gas, and eats & drinks and 1x the points on all other purchases.
- Welcome bonus. Offers 30,000 Welcome Bonus points when you spend $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of membership..
- Monthly bonus points. Collect an additional 12,000 points over the year by spending at least $3,000 per month on your card.
- Purchase assurance. Get an additional year of warranty coverage and 90 days of accidental damage and theft protection on consumer goods you buy with your card.
- Business features. Make the most of a suite of business and expense management tools, including access to specially trained small business service specialists.
- Exclusive offers. Get special offers for entertainment, dining and once-in-a-lifetime experiences with American Express Invites.
- Car rental insurance. Complimentary Car Rental Theft and Damage Insurance (MSRP of up to $85,000).
- Employee Card Misuse Protection. Get covered for unauthorized purchases by an employee if you terminate them and cancel their card within 2 business days (up to $1,000).
- Fraud protection. Avoid paying for fraudulent charges on your account with a fraud protection guarantee.
- Flexible rewards. Redeem points for flights, gift cards, merchandise, Amazon.ca purchases, statement credits and more.
- Free additional cards. Order up to 99 extra cards without paying an additional fee.
- Referral bonus. Get up to 5,000 points for every friend you refer as long as they get approved for the card.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. It costs $99 per year to keep your account in good standing.
- High interest. You’ll pay between 19.99%and 22.99% interest on your account, which is about 5–7% higher than with a low-interest card.
- Conditions for welcome bonus. You’ll need to charge at least $5,000 in net purchases to your account in your first 3 months to qualify for the welcome bonus.
- Earning caps. You’ll only earn 3x the points up to a maximum of 75,000 points, then you’ll go down to 1 point for every dollar you spend on business purchases.
- No cashback. You won’t be able to get cash in hand when you redeem points, but you can apply them as a credit on your next statement.
- No travel insurance. There’s no coverage for travel medical or other forms of insurance when you travel out of province.
- Only new business customers qualify. This offer doesn’t apply to holders of an existing American Express Small Business Card product.
What should I know before I apply
How to apply
- Click “Go to site” on this page to be directed to the American Express Business Edge Card Card application.
- Complete the application, which includes providing your name, email address, social insurance number and birth date.
- Review and submit your application.
If you own a small business and you want to start earning a high return on points for every purchase you make, you might like to consider the American Express Business Edge Card. This card offers a generous welcome bonus and a full suite of business perks for a reasonable annual fee.