Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Allstate car insurance review
Looking for affordable car insurance? Find out if a policy with Allstate could be the right fit for you.
There are a lot of factors to consider when you’re purchasing car insurance. For example, do you want to pay less for mandatory coverage or are you looking to cover all your bases with a comprehensive policy? While it’s up to you to figure out what type of insurance best fits your needs, Allstate offers a number of different options and packages to get you on the right track.
Find out what type of protection you’ll get with this well-known car insurance company and get a free quote to find out how much you’ll have to pay for your policy.
What is Allstate car insurance?
Allstate is an Ontario-based company that offers affordable car insurance across Canada. You can apply for multiple forms of coverage quickly and easily through its company website. This can include everything from mandatory liability coverage to comprehensive theft and collision insurance.
The type of insurance you choose will typically depend on your unique personal situation. You can easily apply for a quote online with the click of your mouse. You can also call to speak to an agent to find out what might be the best type of insurance for you.
What types of insurance does Allstate offer?
Allstate auto insurance comes in a variety of forms, based on your budget as well as other personal factors like what type of car you drive.
The insurance you’ll automatically get with every quote includes the following:
- Liability insurance. Protects you if you get into an at-fault accident and somebody sues you for damages.
- Accident benefits. Covers your expenses if you or your passengers get hurt in an accident and you need medical attention or are unable to work.
- Direct compensation. Covers you for damage to your vehicle if you’re not at fault in an accident (only in Ontario, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia).
Collision or comprehensive insurance
Beyond mandatory insurance, you may want to add extra coverage to protect your own vehicle in case of theft or a collision.
- Collision. Pays to repair or replace your car if you get into an accident with another vehicle or an object (such as a tree or guardrail).
- Comprehensive. Covers windshield damage and damage caused by incidents such as theft, vandalism, fire, falling objects, lightning or impact with an animal.
- All perils. Insures you for most situations and provides protection for just about any issue you might run into with your vehicle.
- Specified perils. Lets you pick and choose the issues you’re most likely to encounter while allowing you to omit others to reduce your costs.
Can I purchase additional coverage if I want more protection?
Allstate offers a number of insurance extras that you can add into the mix for extra peace of mind. These include the following:
- Claim forgiveness. Maintains your premiums at the same rate after you make your first claim.
- Disappearing deductible. Reduces your deductible in every consecutive term that you go without a claim until it disappears completely.
- Loss of use. Covers the cost of backup travel when your car is being repaired as a result of damage or theft.
- Minor ticket protection. Maintains your premiums at the same rate if you get a minor traffic ticket.
- Damage to non-owned cars. Offers liability protection when you drive rental cars or other vehicles you don’t own.
- Waiver of Depreciation. Ensures you get the full value of your new car if it’s written-off as part of a covered claim (for cars less than three years old).
You may be able to bundle your Allstate car insurance with your home insurance if you want to save money on both policies. You’ll also get a discount if you insure multiple vehicles at one time. There are also a number of other discounts that you may be eligible for, depending on factors like where and how you drive your vehicle and whether you’re a student or a senior.
What do customers say about Allstate auto insurance?
Allstate car insurance has poor reviews online, though this seems to be the case for many insurance providers. For example, it has a rating of 1.4 on InsurEye (out of 162 reviews) and 1.6 on the ConsumerAffairs website (out of 123 reviews) as of July 6, 2020.
Customers seem particularly displeased with the level of customer service provided, indicating that claims take a very long time to process and are not dealt with professionally when customers call in to inquire about them.
There were also several complaints that Allstate’s auto insurance rates were hiked up unexpectedly after a couple of months and, in some cases, by a significant margin.
Benefits and drawbacks of Allstate
- Quick application. You can apply for a quote online by inputting some personal details, though this may not be the price you’re guaranteed to get at the end of the day.
- Many discounts. You could be eligible for a laundry list of discounts, depending on a number of personal factors such as your age and driving experience.
- Drivewise mobile app. You may be able to download the Drivewise app to track your driving habits so that you can earn discounts for driving safely (only in some provinces).
- 24/7 claims service. You’ll be able to call at any time of day or night and speak to an agent about your insurance policy or claim requirements.
- Online account. You can easily access your insurance policies at any time with your personalized myAllstate account.
- No in-person service. You won’t be able to visit Allstate auto insurance in person to discuss your car insurance needs or make a claim.
- Customers report rate hikes. Some customers indicate that their rates increased dramatically after signing up for Allstate car insurance, despite having no accidents.
- Lack of customer service. Many customers complain that it’s difficult to get in touch with Allstate over the phone.
- Slow claims processing times. It seems to take several months for Allstate to process claims, which means customers end up paying for their own repairs in some cases.
- Quebec may have different rules. You may encounter different rules or forms of coverage if you’re taking out insurance in Quebec.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for Allstate auto insurance coverage, you need to meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Have a valid Canadian driver’s licence
- Own the vehicle you wish to insure
- You may also need to fulfill additional criteria based on which province you live in.
How to apply
If you want to apply for Allstate auto insurance, you just need to follow these simple steps.
- Visit the Allstate car insurance website to submit an application for a quote online.
- Provide the necessary documentation – such as a valid driver’s licence and proof of purchase for your vehicle.
- Get verified and work with Allstate to negotiate the terms of your car insurance if you meet the eligibility requirements.
How to contact Allstate auto insurance
It’s easy to contact Allstate car insurance on its toll-free customer support number during normal working hours. It’s also possible to get in touch with its claims hotline 24/7 if you need to report an accident. For less urgent matters, you can also send an email or a letter to Allstate’s business address in Ontario.
Allstate car insurance is a well-known car insurance provider that works across Canada. It offers multiple forms of coverage and a number of discounts to bring the price of your insurance down. That said, it’s also known for having poor customer service and slow claims processing times.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card review
Earn Aeroplan Points when you spend money on your business with this premium credit card.
American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card Review
Earn accelerated Aeroplan Points and enjoy a wide array of travel benefits and airport perks with this premium credit card.
American Express Aeroplan Card Review
Earn Aeroplan Points and enjoy a number of travel perks with this loyalty charge card.
TD Minimum Chequing Account review
Pay a low monthly fee to get 12 free transactions with this basic chequing account.
Loans Canada Personal Loan review
Want to find the best rates for your next personal loan? Compare lenders with this well-known online platform.
RBC Visa Signature Black U.S. Credit Card review
Do you regularly spend money in the US? Find out how you can avoid currency conversion and pay no annual fee with this cross-border card.
How to start a home daycare
From registration and business structures to insurance and marketing – we’ll show you how to get your home daycare business up and running.
How your driving record affects car insurance rates
Find out what shows up on your driving record, how insurers use your record and tips to improve it.
CTL Car Loan review
Do you need a bad credit car loan? Enjoy decreasing interest rates every year that you make on-time payments with this reputable lender.
Coast Capital car loan review
Get competitive interest rates and top-notch customer service with this reputable car loan provider.