BusyKid Visa Prepaid Spend Debit Prepaid Card review
Your child can spend their allowance — but it'll cost extra.BusyKid is a chore app that allows you to pay your child on a weekly basis for the tasks they complete. The BusyKid Visa Prepaid Spend Debit Card is one of the ways they can use their hard-earned money.
Signature transaction fee
PIN transaction fee
Rhys Subitch is a writer and editor at finder.com who tackles topics across the site. With half a decade of experience researching, editing and writing for a Fortune 500 company, university and several independent publications, Rhys brings readers the most up-to-date and curated info on all things finance.
The BusyKid app provides features that work to help teach your child financial responsibility. But the spend card itself is pretty bare-bones.
Getting your money’s worth isn’t too difficult though, even if you’re not planning on using the app’s features beyond putting money on your child’s card. Similar cards have monthly fees, but BusyKid has a fairly low yearly cost per card.
If you’re already using the BusyKid app, adding a prepaid debit card can make your child’s funds more accessible. Benefits include:
- Free trial. You can try BusyKid for free for 30 days. To cancel, you’ll need to do it at least 24 hours before the trial ends.
- You’re in control. Your child can move money between sections of their BusyKid account, but you’ll need to approve any transfers made to the spend card.
- High load limits. You can load up to $2,000 on your child’s spend card in any 30-day period.
The BusyKid spend card has less robust parental controls and a heavy cost compared to other options.
- Additional cost per card. The base app has no fee, but you’ll pay an additional $7.99 annually for each spend card. The cost goes up to $8.52 if you use a credit card to pay for it.
- Limited parental controls. Other apps allow you to control when and where your child spends — BusyKid requires a bit more trust.
- Unresponsive customer service. We received no response over several business days after contacting customer service by phone and email.
Compare debit cards for kids
You can compare other debit cards for kids by using our guide and find the right fit for your family.
How do I get the BusyKid spend card?
To get a BusyKid spend card you’ll need to open up an account and subscribe.
- Go to the BusyKid website.
- Select Sign up now.
- Enter your full name, email, ZIP code and create a password. Then click Continue signup.
- Type in a PIN and select Create PIN.
- Choose whether to fund using your bank account or credit card.
- Confirm your personal information and complete the sign-up process.
To open a parent account and order a spend card you’ll need to meet four requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or legal resident
- US phone number
- US bank account or credit card
You may be asked to provide the following information for the spend card:
- Your Date of birth
- Your Social Security number
- Child’s date of birth
You can only load funds to the card by transferring money to the spend section of your child’s account. You can fund your child’s account with a connected bank account at no extra cost or a credit card for a 2.9% fee plus 30 cents per transaction. Transferring money from another prepaid card costs $1.
How long will it take to get my child’s card?
It takes between seven and 10 business days for the card to arrive after you request it. You can activate the card and load funds as soon as it arrives.
I got the card. Now what?
- Activate the card. Call the number on the card’s sticker to activate it.
- Transfer funds. Transfer money to the spend card by signing in to your child’s account or completing a card-to-card transfer online or over the phone.
- Check your child’s balance. You and your child can check the balance of their spend card at any time using the BusyKid app.