The Business Green Rewards Card from American Express review
An entry level travel business card with 2x points through Amex Travel and a meager welcome offer.
- Get this card if you want an entry-level American Express travel card.
- Pick something else if you want to earn higher rewards on travel purchases or on business purchases.
- Apply with good to excellent credit.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 2x
for the first year ($95 thereafter)
Recommended credit score
|Annual fee||$0 intro annual fee for the first year ($95 thereafter)|
|Welcome Offer||Special offer: Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards Points after you spend $3,000 on eligible purchases on the Business Green Rewards Card within your first 3 months of Card Membership.|
|Rewards||2x points at amextravel.com and 1x points on all other purchases|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Kliment Dukovski is a credit cards and investments writer. He's written over 600 articles to help readers find and compare the best credit cards. Kliment has also written on money transfers, home loans and more. Previously, he ghostwrote guides and articles on foreign exchange, stock market trading and cryptocurrencies.
Lightweight as far as business cards go, the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express offers a welcome offer of 25,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months, up to $100,000 in travel protection and no annual fee for additional cards beyond the first.
Like a few other Amex business offerings, the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express requires you pay your balance in full each month. This card also sports foreign transaction fees, making it a little less travel friendly.
How to apply for the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
- Go to the provider's site and click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with required information about you and your business.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to be approved?
American Express offers conditional approval online, which means you could see a decision in minutes.
How long will it take to get my Business Green Rewards Card from American Express?
On approval, you’ll receive your new card through UPS in three to four business days.
Business Green Rewards Card from American Express benefits
- Welcome offer. Earn 25,000 Membership Rewards points after you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first 3 months from account opening.
- Earn rewards points. The card offers 2x Membership Rewards points on eligible purchases from amextravel.com and 1x points on all purchases.
- No preset spending limit. American Express adjusts your purchasing power the longer you use it, looking at your overall spending, payment history, credit score and other factors.
You’ll also like…
- Travel protection. For reservations paid entirely with this card, you’re automatically insured against accidents for up to $100,000. Your bags are also insured for up to $1,250 for carry-ons and up to $500 for checked baggage. And when renting a car, you’re insured against car loss and damage.
- Roadside and global assistance. If you find yourself stranded on the road, call for emergency service through a 24/7 hotline. When you travel more than 100 miles from home, you’re extended 24/7 access to medical, legal and financial services, with only third-party costs your responsibility.
- Online management tools. Use mobile banking to manage your account, set up autopay and alerts and monitor employee spending. Or transfer your account data into an existing QuickBooks account.
- No annual fee for additional cards. You’ll avoid a separate annual fee for each additional card you add to your account.
What to watch out for
- Annual fee. The Business Green Rewards Card from American Express comes with a $95 annual fee, with a $0 intro for the first year.
- Foreign transaction fee. If you plan to use your card abroad, you’ll pay a fee that’s equal to 2.7% of the amount per transaction.
- No ability to carry a balance. You must pay your full balance with each statement. However, purchases of $100 or more may be eligible for Pay Over Time.
- No low intro APR. The Business Green Rewards Card from American Express doesn’t offer the ability to carry over most balances. If your business requires flexibility with payments, this may not be the card for you.
How much are Membership Rewards points worth?
For an idea of how much your points are worth, let’s look at the potential value of 10,000 Membership Rewards points.
You can typically redeem 10,000 points for:
- $70 to $100 in gift cards.
- $50 to $70 for shopping at Membership Rewards partners that include Amazon, Newegg, BestBuy and Staples.
- $50 to $100 for such traveling costs as airline tickets, hotels, cruises and purchases through Expedia.
- $70 to $100 for point-of-sale transactions with New York taxis and at Rite Aid.
- $50 for entertainment purchases through Ticketmaster and AXS.
- $50 to $100 to donate to an eligible nonprofit or charity.
How to get the most out of your Membership Rewards points
This card doesn’t offer many ways to earn multiple points for your dollar, which leaves American Express Travel your strongest way to earn.
For example, if you book $10,000 on flights and hotels through Amex Travel, you’ll earn 20,000 points. You can then redeem these points for a $200 reward, effectively earning 2% cash back — the highest value you can get out of this card.
Redeeming the same number of points for a $100 reward is equal to getting 1% back.
Compare business credit cards
We update our data regularly, but information can change between updates. Confirm details with the provider you're interested in before making a decision.
What size business is the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express good for?Business Green Rewards Card from American Express is suited for small businesses that’d like perks while building up their general creditworthiness.
Rewards aren’t as robust as other cards, but that’s not your primary reason for signing up. With this card, businesses can manage their spending while earning Membership Rewards points that you can redeem for travel, shopping, gift cards and more.
American Express small business cards
What should I know before I apply?
When you apply for the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express, you’ll provide information about yourself and your business that includes your:
- Business name and contact information.
- Years in business and industry.
- Company structure and number of employees.
- Annual revenue and monthly spending.
- Federal tax ID or Employment Identification Number.
- Personal information, including your annual income.
What credit score do I need to apply?
The card is open to businesses that have a fair business credit score. But for a higher credit limit and increased possibility of approval, apply with good or excellent credit.
Business Green Rewards Card from American Express reviews and complaints
Customers online praise the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express for its Membership Rewards points and low fees. Others say the $0 intro annual fee for a year makes it easy for businesses to try out the card first.
American Express is accredited by the Better Business Bureau, earning an A+ that’s dependent on its internal criteria. It also earns a 3.78 out of 5 stars based on more than 170 customer reviews.
I got the card. Now what?
- Manage your account online. Sign in to your account to monitor spending, set up autopay and catch suspicious activity in its tracks. Or transfer your data directly to your existing QuickBooks account.
- Contact customer service. For help, call American Express 24/7 at 800-528-4800. Or chat live with a representative online.
For small business owners looking to flexibly manage spending while building up your credit, the Business Green Rewards Card from American Express could be a solid choice. You’ll earn Membership Rewards points on everyday spending, with double the points for travel purchased through American Express Travel.
But if you already have a robust credit score, you’ll find stronger rewards and more luxurious travel perks with other cards.
Frequently asked questions
Editorial Note: Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer.
Credit card ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our team evaluates credit cards to determine their value against similar cards on the market.
We rank card types — travel, cash back, business — on a set of factors that are most relevant to that type of card. We create these rankings to help you narrow down a credit card that best suits your spending and budget.