Brighthouse life insurance review 2021
Originally established by MetLife, Brighthouse Financial offers unique coverage and competitive rates.
finder.com's rating: 3 / 5
- Get a quote if… You’re looking for a hybrid policy that includes long-term care and universal life insurance.
- Choose a different provider if… You don’t already have a financial advisor who can help you purchase a policy.
18 to 75
$1,000,000 to N/A
Medical Exam Required
|Term lengths||1, 5, 10, 20, 30 years|
|Medical exam required||Yes|
|Issue age||18 - 75 years old|
- Speedy underwriting for healthy applicants
- Online application
- Lenient with some health conditions
- Financial strength
- Less modern systems
- Slow application process
No info available
Katia Iervasi is a staff writer who hails from Australia and now calls New York home. Her writing and analysis has been featured on sites like Forbes, Best Company and Financial Advisor around the world. Armed with a BA in Communication and a journalistic eye for detail, she navigates insurance and finance topics for Finder, so you can splash your cash smartly (and be a pro when the subject pops up at dinner parties).
Brighthouse is a reputable choice for life insurance if you’re looking for term or universal coverage. It has competitive rates and comprehensive plans — but you can find more flexible policies with another company.
Brighthouse also only offers high dollar policy amounts. If you’re looking for something within the $50,000 to $200,000 range you’ll have to find another provider.
How to get a quote from Brighthouse life insurance
We pulled 2021 sample quotes for Brighthouse life insurance for a $500,000, 20-year term life policy for a healthy many and woman. All rates came in below average for a policy of this size and length. However, there is one exception, 60-year old men may pay above average with Brighthouse life insurance.
What types of life insurance coverage does Brighthouse offer?
Brighthouse offers a mix of term and permanent policies.
- Term life insurance. Brighthouse’s Simply Select Term is its most affordable plan, providing coverage for 10, 15, 20 or 30 years. The premiums stay the same for the life of the policy, and the coverage can be converted to a permanent policy before a specific deadline.
- Annual renewable term life insurance. The insurer also offers a one-year term life policy, which can be renewed annually — but premiums may increase.
- Whole life insurance. This policy offers lifelong coverage and accumulates cash value over time at a fixed rate set by the insurer.
- Hybrid life insurance. Brighthouse’s SmartCare product combines indexed universal life insurance with a long-term care (LTC) policy. This hybrid policy pays out a death benefit when you die, and offers long-term care coverage while you’re alive should you need it.
What riders can I add to my policy?
Brighthouse allows policyholders to customize their coverage with common riders, including:
- Accelerated death benefit. Pays out a portion of the death benefit if you’re diagnosed with a terminal illness.
- Long-term-care rider. Allows you to access part of the death benefit to cover the costs of long-term care. Some of Brighthouse’s long-term care rider options account for inflation and indexing.
- Conversion rider. Gives you the option to upgrade your term life policy to a permanent policy within the first two to five years of buying coverage.
- Critical illness benefit rider. Pays out a lump sum benefit if you’re diagnosed with a critical illness, such as a stroke.
- Disability income benefit rider. Pays out a monthly benefit if you experience a disability and can’t work.
- Term insurance rider. Add additional insurance to your permanent policy for a specified amount of time.
- Waiver-of-premium rider. Pauses your policy premiums if you become fully disabled and can’t work for six months or more.
Brighthouse life insurance reviews and complaints
Brighthouse Financial isn’t accredited with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), but it holds an A rating for its customer interaction. The BBB has recorded 45 complaints in the past three years, all of which were promptly resolved by the insurer. Many of the complaints honed in on billing and communication issues.
In JD Power’s latest life insurance study, Brighthouse ranked 17th of 22 insurers surveyed. It earned 2 out of 5 circles, which indicates there is room to improve when it comes to customer service and satisfaction.
|AM Best financial rating||
1/5 out of 1 customer reviews
|Trustpilot score||3.2/5 out of 1 customer reviews|
|JD Power score||717|
|Customer reviews verified as of||15 October 2021|
Compare life insurance companies like Brighthouse
Frequently asked questions about Brighthouse life insurance
Life insurance ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
Our experts analyze life insurance companies to help you to find the strongest possible policy and premium for your family’s needs. We assess their financial strength, customer satisfaction, policy features and riders. We then give each insurer a score between one and five stars that reflects their offering and reputation in the industry.