Bremer Bank Visa® Secured Card review
Rebuild your credit with this card that has flexible limits and a handful of security features.
Purchase APR (variable)
Recommended credit score
Megan Horner is the credit cards publisher at Finder. She's passionate about helping you find the best credit cards to meet your financial needs — whether that's earning great rewards or improving your credit score. Megan's expertise has been spotlighted on Lifehacker, CreditCards.com, American Banker and featured on news broadcasts across the country.
The Bremer Bank Visa® Secured Card is a great starter card for anyone with limited or poor credit. Its low annual fee, variable APR and customizable credit limits provide a flexible path towards a positive credit history. And you get free credit checks so you can watch your credit score grow over time.
While the APR, annual and foreign transaction fee are higher than most secured cards, approval is easy and could help if you only spend what you can afford and pay off your balance monthly. You can even get an extra card for free to share with your family.
How to apply for the Bremer Bank Visa® Secured Card
Applying for the Bremer Bank Visa® Secured Card is easy and approval rates are high. To make your initial deposit you’ll need to open a savings account with Bremer Bank. Complete your application online or by mail. Here’s how:
- You must be at least 18 years old, and a US citizen with a Social Security number to apply.
- Visit the credit card page on Bremer Bank’s site and select Build your credit on the drop down menu. Click Apply Now.
- Proceed to the external website, then scroll down to find the Secured Visa Card. Click Apply Now.
- Select your application method: Online or print and mail, and click Get Started.
- Complete the application form with your personal info, housing, income and employment. Fill out the additional cards section to add an authorized user. Accept the terms and conditions and hit Accept.
- If you applied online, your application is automatically submitted. For mail-in applications, print your application and get a cashier’s check or money order with your preferred deposit amount. Mail your application and check to:
Elan Financial Services
PO Box 6363
Fargo, ND 58125-6363
How likely is my approval?
Since this card is made for beginners or anyone rebuilding credit, it’s likely you’ll be approved.
How long will it take to be approved?
Approval usually takes between two to 10 business days.
What’s great about this card?
The card has high approval rates and flexible credit limits, making it a viable option if you have limited or poor credit. Chose a credit limit between $300 and $5,000 with the option of raising your limit when you’re ready. The card also comes with an arsenal of security features, from extended warranties and zero fraud liability to the the extra layer of protection from its Verified by Visa program.
How to make this card worth it
Like most secured cards, this card was designed for those with limited or poor credit. When you apply for the card, pay your deposit to set up a credit limit that works for your financial situation. Stay on top of your monthly payments and maintain the lowest balance possible to avoid fees or interest charges. Avoid balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions because you’ll pay a lot in fees.
What to watch out for
Thanks to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s Credit Card Accountability, Responsibility and Disclosure act, most of the terms and fees are laid out plain and simple. However, if you plan on using this card every day, here are a few drawbacks:
- High APR. This card has a high 20.99% variable APR.
- Fees. You’ll pay a $35 annual fee, foreign transaction fee and balance transfer fee.
- No signup bonus or rewards program. Some secured cards offer a rewards program or signup bonus, but not this one.
Compare secured credit cards
I got the card. Now what?
Once you’re approved, it’s time to start using your card. Here’s how to take advantage of your new Savings Secured Visa Platinum card:
- Activate your card. Once it arrives, activate your card through an existing online banking account or by phone.
- Make timely payments. Mail in your payment or pay through your online account. Avoid interest on your purchases by paying your balance in full.
- Set up autopay. Avoid unnecessary fees and interest by setting up automatic withdrawals for your monthly payments.
- Customer service. Support is available by phone or secure email through your online account.
What do customers say?
Bremer Bank is not rated on TrustPilot, but they have been BBB-accredited since 2012, boasting a superb A+ rating. Customer complaints on the BBB website range from trouble accessing the online service to a lack of communication, while others mention undisclosed fees and trouble having them removed.
Elsewhere, Bremer Bank seems to have a positive reputation among its customers. Users from various forums praise the bank for exceptional customer service and modern business tactics — from customers who have had their accounts for over ten years.
For building your credit, Bremer Bank Visa® Secured Card is just OK. While approval rates are high, there are plenty of other secured cards with lower fees and better benefits that are easy to qualify for. However, if you can’t get approved for other cards, the Bremer Bank Visa® Secured Card might be a good option to help you improve your credit before you move on to a better card.