Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare the best bread makers
Enjoy a fresh-baked loaf any time.
Making your own bread from scratch produces delicious results, but can take a lot of time and effort.
After you pour your ingredients into the tin, the bread maker uses a paddle to combine the ingredients and knead the dough. It then lets the dough proof and rise before baking.
Compare top bread makers
|Programmable||Dimmensions (H x W x D)||Weight (lbs)||Purchase|
|Hamilton Beach 2 lb Digital Bread Maker||$179.95||Yes||10.43 x 14.13 x 12.20 inches||11.86 pounds||Shop now|
|Hamilton Beach 29885||$149.99||Yes||16.00 x 10.00 x 10.00 inches||10.00 pounds||Shop now|
|Zojirushi BB-CEC20 Home Bakery Supreme||$390||Yes||12.81 x 13.56 x 18.88 inches||19.91 pounds||Shop now|
|Automatic Bread Machine||$241.99||Yes||436 x 316 x 41 2mm||13.4 lbs||Shop now|
What types are available?
When shopping for a bread maker, compare products from a host of well-known kitchen appliance manufacturers, including:
- 500 grams
- 750 grams
- 1 kilogram
- 1.25 kilograms
To put this in perspective, a 500-gram loaf will usually make eight slices. Some bread makers only offer one loaf size — for example, a 500-gram machine — but most offer multiple loaf sizes.
The key is to consider how many people you’re cooking for and how much bread you plan to eat, and then choosing a machine that suits your needs.
How to compare bread makers
To ensure you choose the best bread maker for your needs, think about the type of baking you’ll be doing and how much money you want to spend. Consider these features:
- Cooking time. The standard baking process takes between three and five hours on most models. You may also want to check whether the machine has a rapid baking cycle.
- Kneading paddles. Single-paddle machines are usually cheaper, but you may find that a machine with two paddles offers more consistent mixing.
- Automated ingredient dispensers. More advanced bread makers feature automatic dispensers that can add ingredients like yeast, fruit and nuts at a preprogrammed time during the cooking cycle.
- Delay timer. Most models feature a timer that allows you to delay the start of the cooking process by up to 15 hours so you can ensure your bread is ready at the perfect time.
- Viewing window. A viewing window lets you check on the progress of your bread.
- Feet. Nonslip feet can prevent a bread maker moving around when kneading.
- Cleaning. Does the loaf tin have a non-stick coating to make it easier to clean? Can you remove the kneading paddles for more convenient washing? What about the fruit and nut dispenser?
- Dimensions. Consider the dimensions of each unit to work out how much space it will eat up on your countertop or in your kitchen cupboards.
- Warranty. Check the length of the warranty — most bread makers come with a one- or two-year warranty — and exactly what it covers.
- Price. For $80 to $150, you can get an entry-level bread maker that produces impressive results. However, if you want more control over your baking, you could spend anywhere from $200 to $500.
While bread makers aren’t ideal for all home cooks and kitchens, they’re a useful purchase for anyone who loves freshly-baked bread.
How did we choose these products?
To choose our list of the best bread makers, we conducted online research to determine some of the most popular models currently available. We also factored in features such as type, size, capacity, price and extra features.
Frequently asked questions
How long does a bread maker take?
On average, bread makers take around three hours to make one loaf. But this will depend on the size of the loaf, the recipe and the specific model.
How do you keep homemade bread from drying out?
It’s best to eat homemade bread shortly after you bake it. If this isn’t possible, freeze it to preserve its freshness longer.
Why is homemade bread so dense?
Too much flour can cause bread to become very dense. Be sure to follow the recipe, or tweak it to achieve the desired texture and softness.
More guides on Finder
How to buy Bitcoin (BTC) in the US
Want to buy bitcoin but don’t know where to start? This comprehensive guide provides step-by-step instructions on how and where to buy BTC in the US.
6 best overwater bungalows in Bora Bora
Make that dream getaway in an overwater bungalow a reality when you book one of these Bora Bora beauties.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Compare drones: Your guide to choosing the right model
Interested in racing, recreational flying or aerial photography? This guide helps you compare and choose the perfect drone for you.
NAS drive buying guide
Find the right network attached storage device for your home with this detailed NAS drive buyer’s guide.
These are the best Cyber Week kitchen deals this week
Right now, save $100 on a KitchenAid Artisan Stand Mixer, 40% off Breville Coffee Maker and more.
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
Best weighted blankets in 2021
Snuggle up under these top-rated weighted blankets, designed to address a myriad of sleep concerns, from insomnia to night sweats.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
Best Iceland tours and tour companies for 2021
Make the most of your visit to the land of fire and ice by traveling with an expert guide.
Ask an Expert