Invest in one of the world’s largest energy companies.
BP is one of the world’s leading oil and gas companies, making it a popular choice for investors. However, some argue that oil is on the way out and long-term investors are better off with a company focused solely on renewable energy.
BP’s recent stock performance
Take a look at BP’s stock price performance over the last several months. Monitoring the market is just one aspect of the research you should do before investing in a company like BP. Remember that past performance is no indication of future results.
BP’s technical performance
Technical analysis is the mathematical study of a stock’s price based on its recent trends. You have many more ways than the MACD to analyze market trends. Here’s what several key technical indicators are saying about BP’s current stock trend, according to charting service TradingView.
BP’s financial performance
Explore the table below to see how BP has performed financially over the last 3 years. Figures shown in brackets represent a loss.
|Revenue||$225.98 billion||$183.0 billion||$240.208 billion|
|Operating income||$(7.92 billion)||$(2.89 billion)||$9.474 billion|
|Profit||$(6.4 billion)||$115 million||$3.389 billion|
|Total assets||$261.8 billion||$263.3 billion||$276.515 billion|
|Total equity||$98.387 billion||$96.84 billion||$100.404 billion|
|Number of employees||79,800||74,500||74,000|
Compare trading platforms that offer BP stock
Ways to stay up to date with BP shares
When buying or selling shares in any company it’s important to keep an eye on a few different things that will impact the company and their operations, including:
- Financial reporting. These will let you know how the company is performing and will have a big impact on the share price. BP reports annually on December 31st each year.
- Company news. Is BP planning a takeover in the next few months? Are they looking to move into a new country? Are they hiring/firing staff? All of these events will have an impact on the company’s stock price.
- Wider news. You should also be aware of other external events and news that may have an impact on BP’s share price — for instance, wider news about the oil industry or new tax regulations.
- Does the company pay dividends? If a company pays dividends, it pays some of its profits back to shareholders. Currently, BP does pay dividends on their shares.
- Shareholder meetings. These are often held annually and invite large shareholders to attend meetings and vote on matters relating to the company. It’s a good idea to know when these are, as they may hold importance over the direction of the company. Highlights will often be made available online shortly after the event.
What to research before investing
Before deciding to buy stock in any company, it’s a good idea to look into:
- What does the company do? Can you explain what the company does on a day-to-day basis in a few sentences? If you can’t, maybe you should go back to the drawing board.
- Is it making profits? If you’re not sure whether a company is profitable, this could be a warning sign. Read BP’s quarterly or annual earnings reports and take a look at the figures for yourself.
- Who are the main competitors? Every company operates alongside competitors. Before you invest you need to know if the company is the market leader, a newcomer or being pushed out of the market. If the company you’re considering investing in is global-facing, you need to keep an eye on the foreign competition, too.
- Who runs the company? Any company worth its salt will list its senior managers. Even a cursory look at this can tell you something about the company’s stability and management style — constantly changing leadership is often a sign of trouble.
- Is the company’s position sustainable? If you’re looking for a long-term investment, consider whether the product or service the company offers will still be valuable in the future.
- Is there room for future growth? Linked to the question above, what is the outlook for the company’s medium- to long-term growth? Has your company reached its maximum size?
BP has been steadily increasing its profit margins over the last several years, and its stock price has risen in response. However, there’s no guarantee of a continuing upward trend, so it’s up to you to decide if investing in BP is for you, as well as through which investment platform you want to trade.