Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Bonanza vs. eBay: Costs and features compared
Find the best e-commerce marketplace for online sellers with our head-to-head comparison.
In 1995 eBay began as an e-commerce pioneer and remains one of the world’s most popular online marketplaces. Bonanza was established in 2007 as an eBay alternative and now boasts more than 25,000 online sellers.
But which of these marketplaces is the best choice for your e-commerce business? We compared Bonanza and eBay side by side across four key categories to find out.
Which has lower fees?
Bonanza’s transaction fees are based on how much your sells item for, or the final offer value (FOV).
- FOV less than $500: 3.5% fee
- FOV over $500: 3.5% + 1.5% of the amount over $500
Pricing increases when you add advertising tiers:
- Basic program: Up to 9% fee
- Standard: Up to 13% fee
- Superior: Up to 19% fee
- Elite: Up to 30% fee
Pay for a membership for access to features like Stripe Checkout, Facebook advertising and more.
- Silver: $12 monthly
- Gold: $25 monthly
- Platinum: $55 monthly
- Titan: $167 monthly
- Titan Ad Pro: $250 monthly
Individuals looking to list less than 40 listings a month will pay a flat fee of 10.9% on each sale.
If you plan to list more than 40, opening a store may make more sense. The fees for Membership prices are based on monthly or annual subscriptions — with slightly cheaper fees for a year-long commitment.
- Starter: — $7.95 or $4.95 monthly
- Basic: $27.95 or $21.95 monthly
- Premium: $74.95 or $59.95 monthly
- Anchor: $349.95 or $299.95 monthly
- Enterprise: $2,999.95 a year
Other fees include:
- Final value fees: Fees range from 4% to 10%, for most listings. But it’s a complicated fee system, so use eBay’s calculator to find out how much you could pay.
- Managed payments fee: Another fee to look out for involves payments processing. The company charges two types of fees for managing your payments:
Processing rate. A fee equal to 2.7% of your total order amount.
Dispute fee. A fee of $20, excluding taxes, if you’re found responsible for a chargeback or other disputed amount.
You can avoid these charges by receiving buyer payments to a PayPal account, but PayPal itself will charge a fee based on completed sales and method of payment.
Mostly for its simple fee structure. Open a Bonanza account for free and potentially pay just a 3.5% sales commission.
Which has more shoppers?
According to SimilarWeb:
- Bonanza was ranked 9,247 in global traffic
- Bonanza had received almost five million visits in the past six months
- More than 74% of desktop visitors to Bonanza were from the US
According to SimilarWeb:
- eBay is ranked 29 in global traffic
- eBay received more than 867 million visits in the past six months
- More than 78% of desktop visitors to eBay were from the US
eBay’s superior customer reach and global brand recognition mean it comes out on top in this category.
Which has better seller tools?
Both eBay and Bonanza offer a wide range of tools to sellers.
|Ratings system and reviews|
|Sell at auction|
|Import listings from other marketplaces|
|Discounts and coupons|
|Live chat support|
Both platforms offer a host of convenient features to help online sellers, so there’s no clear winner here — it all comes down to your store’s needs.
Which is easier to use?
- Simple and straightforward sign up process.
- Choose an advertising program to promote your shop.
- Buyers can pay for purchases via PayPal or Stripe.
- You’re responsible for storing and shipping your items.
- Decide if you want to sell as an individual or store.
- Compare features the different membership plans’ features and prices.
- Link your PayPal account to your store during the signup process.
- Buyers can pay with PayPal, credit or debit card, bank transfer and more.
- You’re responsible for shipping or choose a third-party fulfillment provider.
Registering for an account and creating a store is a little easier with Bonanza.
How does it work?
This online marketplace offers a platform for you to sell a range of goods. Sell from a personalized booth, or set up a store that’s customized to your brand. List your items manually, or import them from other marketplaces like Amazon, eBay, Etsy or Shopify.
One of the largest and oldest online marketplaces, eBay offers a platform for sellers to list a range of products at fixed prices or sell as an auction. PayPal is the most accepted payment method and is a required option for listings.
Compare alternative e-commerce providers
If you’re new to online selling and want something straightforward and affordable, try Bonanza for its simple fee structure. But if you’re looking to reach more people and sell more items, eBay has a selection of membership plans to meet the needs of online stores.
If you’re still deciding on a e-commerce marketplace to sell your goods, compare other options.
More guides on Finder
5 Square alternatives that combine point-of-sale and e-commerce features.
How to sell on eBay
A beginner’s guide to selling on the “world’s largest marketplace” — setting up a store, fees, shipping and money-saving tips.
How to move your existing store online
Ready to sell on the Internet? Take your brick-and-mortar business into the online marketplace. Start your own website or set up shop on an established platform.
Shopify vs. Etsy: Costs and features compared
We compare Shopify and Etsy to find out which e-commerce platform has the lowest fees and the best features for online merchants.
eBay review | Buyer information
Exclusive deals and auction-style bidding abound on this online marketplace.
How to sell on Walmart Marketplace
A beginner’s guide to selling online with this retail giant.
How to sell on Facebook Marketplace
If you want to make money selling on Facebook Marketplace, find out how in this detailed guide.
How to sell on Groupon
Your detailed guide to selling on Groupon, including how Groupon campaigns work, the marketing tools available and what it will cost you.
How to sell on Bonanza
Read our beginner’s guide to selling on Bonanza, including fees, shipping, payment options, frequently asked questions and more.
StubHub discount & promo codes
For bright lights and good times, score cheap tickets with these deals.
Ask an Expert