BMW MINI Card review
A niche BMW card MINI aficionados will appreciate.
- Consider this card if you’re a big spender at MINI dealerships.
- Pick something else if you want a rewards card with stronger and more diverse earning potential.
- Apply for this card with a good credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 4x
Intro purchase APR
for the first 12 billing cycles (then 15.24% to 24.24% variable)
|Product Name||BMW MINI Card|
|Purchase APR||0% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 15.24% to 24.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first 12 billing cycles (then 15.24% to 24.24% variable)|
|Balance transfer fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash advance rate||24.99% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$5 or 3% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||2% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 24 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $40|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $35|
Steven Dashiell is a credit cards writer at Finder. He's worked on 250 Finder articles and counting, helping readers embrace and maximize credit cards. Backed by nearly a decade of research and reporting experience, Steve's work can be seen on Debt.com, CreditCards.com and Lifehacker.
If you’ve seen the other new BMW credit cards, the gist of the card is similar: a card with solid earning rates across several categories, with a majority of your earned value coming from eligible MINI redemptions. In this case, your MINI Reward Points are worth 25% more when redeemed on MINI gift cards.
The rewards structure is the same as the BMW World Mastercard®, and it comes with the same drawback: If you’re not spending exclusively on MINI purchases or gas, the card’s earning rates are below average compared to other cards on the market. As a result, the card’s value ultimately comes down to how often you’re spending on eligible MINI purchases.
Like the BMW World Mastercard®, the card’s signup bonus isn’t anything to write home about. And though the intro 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers is much appreciated in today’s economic climate, it’s not enough to make the card an appealing choice to anyone not invested in decking out their MINI.
BMW MINI Card benefits
- Earn rewards. You’ll earn 4x points on eligible MINI purchases, 3x points at gas stations, 2x points at restaurants and 1x points on everything else.MINI Reward Points are worth 1 cent apiece on most redemption options. The only exception here is MINI gift cards: Redeeming your points on a MINI gift card will boost your point value by 25%, totaling to 1.25 cents each. This is a fairly standard redemption rate. However, if you’re not spending frequently at MINI dealerships, the card’s average earning potential falls behind the leading cards on the market. There are better choices for gas and restaurant rewards.
- Signup bonus. You’ll earn 5,000 bonus points after you spend $500 within the first 90 days of account opening. This is worth about $50 or $75 if you redeem it on a MINI gift card. This is easy to obtain, but terribly small by signup bonus standards.
- Intro APR. This card comes with a 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 billing cycles, reverting to 15.24% to 24.24% variable.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
- Mastercard benefits. You’ll enjoy several complimentary Mastercard benefits, including cellphone protection and ShopRunner membership.
What to watch out for
- High fees. You’ll pay up to $40 for late payments and $35 for returned payments.
- Foreign transaction fees. You’ll pay a 2% fee on foreign purchases made with this card.
How to apply for the BMW MINI Card
To apply for the BMW MINI Card:
- Go to the BMW MINI Card website.
- Click on Apply Now.
- Fill out your personal information, including date of birth, address, phone number and employment information.
- If you’re interested in performing a balance transfer or adding authorized users, you can select Yes on each field to fill out corresponding information.
- Accept the card Terms and Conditions and click Submit.
What credit score do I need?
You’ll want a good credit score of 670 or higher to qualify for the MINI Card.
Compare credit cards
As a supplementary credit card for MINI purchases, the BMW MINI Card performs well enough. But if you are looking for a card that helps you earn on everyday purchases like gas and groceries, you’ll want to look at other reward cards on the market for better options.