Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express vs Citi® Double Cash Card
Two excellent credit cards with different cashback rates.
Updated . What changed?
Until December 10, 2020, the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express charges $95 starting the second year, compared to the Citi® Double Cash Card‘s $0 annual fee. However, it’s a much stronger choice for groceries, offering 6% cash back on up to $6,000 per year in US supermarket spending, then 1%. Citi’s card is a better option if you want simple rewards: You’ll earn 1% cash back on all purchases, and another 1% as you pay them off.
Summary of card features
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
- Earn cash back. Earn 6% cash back at US supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year. After that, you'll earn 1% back. You'll also earn 6% on select US streaming services and 3% on transit purchases. At US gas stations you'll earn 3% back. For everything else you buy, you'll get 1% back.
- Welcome offer. Get $300 in statement credit after spending $3,000 on purchases in the first three months of card membership. This offer expires December 10, 2020.
- Intro APR period. Enjoy a 0% intro APR period on purchases for the first 12 months of account opening. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 23.99% applies.
Citi® Double Cash Card
- Earn cash back. Earn cash back twice on everything you buy — 1% when you make the purchase and 1% when you pay your balance. Similar cards let you earn 1.5% back. That's up to a $100 difference if you spend $20,000 a year with your card.
- Intro APR on balance transfers. Enjoy 18 months of a 0% intro APR period for balance transfers. Compared to similar cards, this is one of the longest intro periods you can get. After that, a variable APR of 13.99% to 23.99% applies.
- Citi Entertainment℠. Get special access when buying presale tickets or VIP packages for concerts, sports events, dining and more.
Compare cashback credit cards
More guides on Finder
OakStone Platinum Secured Mastercard® review
Build credit with this secured credit card.
Think twice before applying for a store credit card this holiday season
Store cards sound appealing, but aren’t often your best choice.
Bellwether Smart Rewards Card review
Earn flat 1.5x points on everything you buy or save money with a balance transfer.
X1 Card review
This metal card adjusts your limit based on your income.
SoFi Credit Card review
A new 2% cashback card enters the ring.
Verizon Visa® Credit Card review
Plus $0 annual fee, 3% on dining, 2% on Verizon purchases and 1% on everything else.
BMW World Mastercard® review
Earn modest rewards on BMW purchases with the BMW Card.
GM BuyPower Card® review
GM customers will get strong rewards using this card.
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards Credit Card review
Earn accelerated cash back on gas, groceries and utilities and save money on interest.
Star Trek Credit Card review
The strong rewards on StarTrek.com purchases are dampened by a $39 annual fee.
Ask an Expert