Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Blu-ray player buying guide
Get a picture-perfect home cinema experience.
Blu-ray discs offer a higher-quality movie-viewing experience and have all but taken over the DVD space. But to play them, you’ll need a special Blu-ray player or compatible game console.
To choose the best system for your home theater you’ll want to look size, Wi-Fi connectivity options and — of course — price points.
Compare some of the best Blu-ray players
|Name||Average price||Dimensions (inches)||Wi-Fi connectivity||Purchase|
LG UBK90 4K Ultra-HD
||$275||16.9 x 8.1 x 1.8||Yes||Buy now|
||$120||11.46 x 1.57 x 8.7||Yes||Buy now|
1.8 x 8.5 x 12.6
||$500||2.4 x 8 x 16.9||Yes||Buy now|
||$400||1.8 x 8.9 x 16||Yes||Buy now|
What is Blu-ray and how is it different from DVD?
DVD took over the home-video space from VHS tapes in the 1990s, but Blu-ray has since come along and offers even better video and sound quality.
Blu-ray has a few key advantages over DVD:
- Better image quality. The latest Blu-ray players can play movies in Ultra HD (UHD) 4K, while DVDs are limited to a much lower resolution. This means you get sharper and clearer pictures on your TV.
- Better sound quality. Because DVDs offer less storage capacity than Blu-ray discs, surround-sound audio is compressed in order to fit on them. This results in some audio information being lost. Meanwhile, Blu-rays allow for the use of lossless audio formats, meaning you get to hear every line with crystal clarity.
- Additional content. The extra storage space on Blu-ray discs means they can store more additional content — like cast interviews, gag reels and deleted scenes — than DVDs. And with most models also offering Internet connectivity, you can download extra features and content and stream video from services like Netflix.
While DVD players are still sold by most home electronics retailers and can be purchased a fair bit cheaper than Blu-ray players, Blu-ray is the way of the future and is likely well worth the investment for anyone looking to get a better home cinema experience.
What types are available?
Major electronic brands like Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung and more offer Blu-ray players, which can generally be split into two categories:
- Standard Blu-ray players. Get a HD 1080p view on your HD TV with a standard player. They’re now quite affordable and can be purchased for less than $100.
- 4K Blu-ray players. These allow you to view UHD content on a 4K TV. They provide the best picture quality and can complete your entertainment experience if you’ve upgraded to a UHD TV.
How to compare Blu-ray players
Several considerations should be taken into account when you’re picking out a Blu-ray player. Here are the factors to compare:
- Price. You can pick up a standard Blu-ray player for well under $100. While 4K models are more expensive, prices have dropped in recent years and they’re generally available for between $200 and $300. If you choose a Blu-ray player that also features a built-in HDD recorder, prices start at $400 and can push up towards $1,000.
- Ease of use. Take a close look at the instruction manual and reviews from other buyers to find out how easy the machine is to use. Is connecting it to your TV simple and straightforward? Is its user interface intuitive and easy to navigate? Is the remote well laid out and does it provide easy access to all essential functions?
- Connectivity. You can connect your Blu-ray player to your TV using an HDMI cable, but some also offer composite RCA connection in case you need your player to work with an older TV. Models with dual HDMI outputs allow you to send audio and video to separate equipment if needed.
- Wi-Fi. Most Blu-ray players on the market have Wi-Fi connectivity, and many also feature an Ethernet port for a more reliable connection. This may allow you to stream content from services like Netflix, so check which apps the Blu-ray player comes with to ensure easy access to the streaming platforms you want.
- BD-Live. If any of your discs have BD-Live functionality, you can access online bonus content like trailers, deleted scenes and more as long as your Blu-ray player can connect to the Internet.
Additional factors to think about:
If you enjoy watching high-quality movies from the comfort of home, investing in a Blu-ray player might be well worth it. While basic models are now relatively affordable, higher-end players can be on the pricey side. Compare a few of the most popular models in your price range before splurging on this tech item.
How did we choose these products?
To choose our list of the best Blu-ray players, we conducted online research to determine some of the most popular players currently available, comparing the price, size and Wi-Fi connectivity.
MORE BUYING GUIDES
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Top 15+ stores to buy girls’ clothing
Scoop up some of the best deals on girls’ clothing, from cozy sweaters, comfy athletic wear and everything in between. Plus see where to get free shipping.
Nintendo Switch buying guide
Nintendo’s entry into the ninth console generation is the talk of the town, but how does it actually work and what games does it offer?
Xbox One review and buying guide
Trying to choose the right gaming console for you and your family? You’ll find everything you need to know about Microsoft’s Xbox One console right here.
Amazon is releasing so many new gadgets – here’s what we know
Get a sneak peek at some of Amazon’s latest tech releases — from a home security drone to a brand new edition of the Echo.
Famous houses you can rent on Airbnb
Rent homes featured on classic TV shows and movies, from Twilight to Breaking Bad.
Best 3D printers in 2020
Whether you’re a student or an industry professional, we broke down the best 3D printers to suit your needs — from budget options to accessible features.
What is PlayStation Network ?
Sony’s online service for its PlayStation platforms is a constantly evolving ecosystem filled with fun entertainment experiences.
PlayStation 5: Price, release date, specs, games and details
Sony’s next-generation PlayStation console is coming this fall — here are all the details.
Toilet paper buying guide
We’ll help you choose the best toilet paper for your home or office.
How to download movies or TV shows from Netflix
Enjoy movies and TV shows without burning through your mobile data.
Ask an Expert