Bilt Mastercard review
Earn rewards on rent payments but other rewards cards can give you more overall value.
- Get this card if you want to earn rewards on your rent payments without paying a fee.
- Pick something else if you want to earn bigger rewards on everyday purchases.
- Apply with a good to an excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
Points as welcome offer
Up to 2x
|Welcome Offer||3x points on your first rent payment (up to 10,000 points) and 2x points on all non-rent payments for your first 30 days, then up to 2x points on rent based on the amount you spend on non-rent payments each month|
|Balance transfer APR||N/A|
|Recommended minimum credit score||670|
Steven Dashiell is a writer at Finder specializing in all things credit cards. With more than 300 articles under his belt, he aims to help readers embrace credit cards and maximize their rewards. Steve is studying to become a Certified Educator in Personal Finance, and is a frequent face on Finder’s YouTube channel, offering the latest in credit card hacks and advice. His expertise has been featured on numerous outlets, including U.S. News & World Report, Time, CBS, Fox Business, Lifehacker, Martha Stewart Living and more.
The Bilt Mastercard is the first credit card from Bilt, a rewards program that lets you earn points when you pay your rent at a participating rental location. The Bilt Mastercard works alongside this program to help you earn more rewards to your account. It comes with no fees whatsoever, a welcome offer of up to 3x points on your first month’s rent up to 10,000 points total and 2x points on all non-rent spending for your first 30 days, and a variable rewards program that can award up to 2x points per dollar spent on your rent payment and 1x points on everything else.
You can use your points earned in the Bilt rewards program on travel, rent or even down payments on your future home. Typically, you earn 250 points per month when you pay your rent in the Bilt program, and the Bilt Mastercard supplements this by letting you earn 1x points on all other purchases and up to 2x points on your rent payments. When you consider the scope of the card’s value however, this isn’t all that impressive. To earn 2x points on your rent, you need to first spend at least $3,500 on other eligible purchases. Since you only get x points on those purchases, you’re missing out on the extra value you could have with a stronger rewards card. Plus, your points are worth just 1.5 cents each depending on your building management company.
Whether this card is worth a spot in your wallet depends on how badly you want to use your credit card or earned points on rent, fee free. If this is a big selling point for you, the Bilt Mastercard fits the bill nicely. If not, you’ll get better value from other rewards cards.
How to apply for the Bilt Mastercard
- As of June 2021, you can only apply for the waitlist for the Bilt Mastercard.
- Go to BiltRewards.com and click on Card at the top menu.
- Click on Get early access.
- Input your email address to put your name on the list and click the arrow.
Bilt Mastercard benefits
- Earn Bilt rewards. You’ll earn points on your rent payments based on the amount you spend on non-rent payments each month:
- 1 point per $2 after you spend $250
- 1 point per $1 after you spend $1,000
- 1.5 points per $1 after you spend $2,000
- 2 points per $1 after you spend $3,500
You can redeem these points on travel, workouts, rent and down payments on an eligible house.
- Welcome offer. After approval, you’ll earn 3x points on your first month’s rent on up to 10,000 points total. You’ll also earn 2x points on all non-rent payments for your first 30 days after account opening.
- No annual fee. You won’t pay an annual fee to use this card.
- World Elite benefits. You’ll enjoy the benefits associated with World Elite Mastercards, including Lyft and Doordash credits, concierge service, purchase protection and cell phone protection.
Bilt Mastercard drawbacks
- Ramp up required for max earnings. You need to spend $3,500 before you can earn 2x points per dollar on your rent purchases. Your points earned on that $3,500 is just 1x points per dollar, lower than many other rewards cards.
- Rent point values variable. The value of your earned points depends on your building management if you redeem on rent.
- No intro APR. This card lacks an intro APR on purchases and balance transfers, both of which would prove useful for someone looking for a rent-based rewards credit card.
Compare rewards cards
There are other credit cards available that give you stronger rewards across everyday spending categories. Check out the table below to compare cards and find one that fits your needs.
Bilt Mastercard customer reviews and complaints
While the Bilt Mastercard isn’t yet widely available, consumer opinions on Reddit reflect my own thoughts that this card doesn’t pack enough punch to be worth getting over a standard rewards credit card.
The Bilt Mastercard offers a unique draw in the credit card market, though it doesn’t offer enough to choose over some of the other top rewards cards on the market. Using a strong rewards card for your rent purchases and eating the fee will still lead to a bigger overall value gain than trying to maximize the Bilt Mastercard‘s rewards. You can compare your reward card options to find one that best fits your spending needs.