Billinero savings account review
Win big bucks with this gamified savings account, but your money is better off elsewhere.Billinero is a fee-free, prize-linked savings account that launched in August 2019. It gamifies your savings so that you can have fun while growing your nest egg at no risk. But the interest rate is 0.05% APY — a rate much lower than the competition. And you need to live in one of the 12 eligible states to open an account.
Minimum deposit to open
Michael Benninger is a personal finance writer at Finder. He is a former credit analyst and longtime freelancer whose articles have been published by Intuit, Blinkist, Business Insider and the Los Angeles Times. Michael graduated from Rowan University with a bachelor’s degree in business administration. When he’s not writing, you can usually find him watching movies, enjoying the outdoors or boarding planes to distant destinations.
A Billinero account can make saving money a fun habit, and you don’t have to worry about paying any fees. But if you’re unlucky and never win a drawing, your money will grow much faster in a standard high-yield savings account. Plus, if you live outside of the 12 eligible states, you can’t open an account.
If you want an account with a higher interest rate or one that serves your area, shop around for an account with higher yields.
How do I open an account?
Here’s how to start saving with Billinero.
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the Billinero website, choose Get started.
- Add your full name, email, create a password and read and accept the Consent agreement. Then choose Next.
- Enter your address and phone number. Then select Next.
- Enter your date of birth, Social Security number and driver’s license information. Then choose Next.
- Add your occupation, your source of income. Then read and accept the W-9 certification. Select Next.
- Review your application, review and accept the account agreements and select Submit Application.
To be eligible for a Billinero savings account, you need to meet these requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Live in one of the following states: Arkansas, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, South Carolina or Virginia
If you satisfy the eligibility criteria, you also need to provide the following information as part of your application:
- Driver’s license or state-issued ID
- Social Security number
- Valid mailing address
- Income and occupation details
How does Billinero work?Billinero works like a traditional savings account but with the added feature of cash prizes. Here’s how the cash prize entry works:
- Deposit funds to your Billinero account through the mobile app.
- For every $25 deposit, Billinero rewards you with an entry into a monthly drawing for $1,000 or a quarterly drawing of $10,000.
- You can earn up to 36 entries for each monthly drawing, and every third deposit earns you an entry into the quarterly drawing.
What are the benefits of a savings account with Billinero?Billinero is FDIC insured up to $250,000 and comes with these additional benefits:
- You could win big. In the 15 months since Billinero launched, the company has already rewarded customers with more than $50,000.
- No fees. You never have to pay a fee with Billinero.
What should I look out for?
If you’re thinking about opening a Billinero account, there are a few drawbacks to keep in mind.
- Low interest. You only earn 0.05% APY on your money with Billinero. You can find higher rates elsewhere.
- Limited availability. You need to live in one of the following states to open a Billinero account: Arkansas, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Oregon, South Carolina, or Virginia.
Compare Billinero with other savings accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money with Billinero?
You have few options when it comes to depositing and withdrawing funds from your Billinero savings account.
Currently, there are only two ways to deposit funds into your Billinero savings account:
- Bank transfer. Transfer funds from an existing bank account as long as you have the routing number and your bank account number.
- Mobile deposit. You can scan paper checks using Billinero‘s mobile app.
You can only withdraw money from your account in two ways:
- Bank transfer. Transfer funds from your Billinero account to a different bank account.
- Check. You can request a check by calling a Billinero support specialist at 833-682-6484.