BetterCash installment loans review
- Min. Amount
- Max. Amount
When you need money fast and don't have strong credit, a short-term loan might be your best bet. BetterCash's short-term installment loan can get you funds as soon as the next day and give you monthly repayments that are more affordable than a payday loan. However, longer terms can make your loan more expensive than you might expect. And these loans aren't available in all states.
All credit types welcome.
No prepayment penalty
Tools to improve your finances
|Product Name||BetterCash loans|
|Requirements||Ages 18+ (19+ in Alabama and Nebraska), employed, valid checking account open for 45+ days, receive income as a direct deposit into that account, live in eligible state|
What is a BetterCash loan?
A BetterCash loan is an installment loan offered by the lender MoneyLion. It offers short-term loans with no credit requirements and long-term loans to borrowers with a minimum credit score of 550.
BetterCash loans are unsecured, so you don’t need to provide collateral. You can complete the application entirely online and get approved within 24 hours. Typically, borrowers get their funds the next business day.
BetterCash long-term loans are only available in Alabama, California, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Carolina, Utah and Wisconsin.
Short-term loans are also available in Mississippi, Ohio, Texas and Washington, in addition to the states listed above.
All short-term loans have APRs that start at 36%, though the maximum rate, loan term and how much you can borrow depends on where you live.
|State||Loan amounts||APR range||Loan term|
|Alabama||$2,000 to $2,500||36% to 149%||6 to 24 months|
|California||$2,600 to $5,000||36% to 125%||12 to 36 months|
|Delaware||$300 to $3,000||36% to 295%||3 to 24 months|
|Georgia||$3,100 to $5,000||36% to 125%||9 to 36 months|
|Idaho||$300 to $2,000||36% to 295%||3 to 24 months|
|Illinois||$300 to $4,000||36% to 99%||6 to 24 months|
|Mississippi||$500 to $1,800||36% to 149%||6 to 12 months|
|Missouri||$300 to $3,000||36% to 295%||6 to 24 months|
|New Mexico||$300 to $2,500||36% to 295%||6 to 24 months|
|North Dakota||$1,250 to $5,000||36% to 149%||6 to 24 months|
|Ohio||$300 to $2,000||36% to 295%||3 to 24 months|
|South Carolina||$601 to $1,500||36% to 600%||6 to 37 months|
|Texas||$300 to $2,000||Varies||Up to 6 months|
|Utah||$300 to $3,000||36% to 295%||3 to 24 months|
|Washington||$300 to $700||Varies||1 to 6 months|
|Wisconsin||$300 to $3,000||36% to 295%||3 to 24 months|
All long-term loans come with APRs between 36% and 99% and terms from one to three years. However, how much you can borrow depends on your state.
|Alabama||$2,000 to $5,000|
|California||$2,600 to $8,000|
|Delaware||$1,000 to $5,000|
|Georgia||$3,100 to $8,000|
|Idaho||$1,000 to $5,000|
|Illinois||$1,000 to $4,000|
|Missouri||$1,000 to $5,000|
|New Mexico||$1,000 to $2,500|
|North Dakota||$1,250 to $5,000|
|South Carolina||$1,000 to $5,000|
|Utah||$1,000 to $5,000|
|Wisconsin||$1,000 to $5,000|
What are the benefits of a BetterCash loan?
From its lax credit requirements to its fast turnaround, here are some perks of taking out a BetterCash loan:
- All credit types welcome. You don’t need excellent credit to qualify for a BetterCash loan, though you’ll need a credit score of at least 550 for its long-term option.
- Quick turnaround. You can get your funds as soon as the next business day after getting approved.
- No prepayment penalty. Pay your loan off early to save on interest without getting charged a fee.
- Tools to improve your finances. MoneyLion’s app can help you track your spending and monitor your credit score, on top of managing your BetterCash loan account.
- Rewards program. Borrowers can earn points through the MoneyLion app for actions like signing up for credit monitoring and making on-time repayments, which can unlock more favorable rates and other perks.
What to watch out for
Before applying for a BetterCash loan, consider these potential drawbacks:
- Employment required. MoneyLion won’t work with you if you rely on other types of income like government benefits or a pension.
- Bankruptcy disqualifies you. You won’t be eligible for a BetterCash loan if you’ve filed for bankruptcy recently.
- High APRs. The short-term option can come with APRs nearing 300%, while long-term loans come with APRs as high as 99%.
Compare more installment loan providers
Beware of high APRs and long terms
BetterCash loans are expensive not only because of the high APRs, but also the long loan terms. That’s because a longer term leaves more time for interest to add up. Let’s take a look at two examples.
Say you took out a loan of $3,000 with an APR of 99% and a three-year term. You’d pay $6,454.81 in interest alone, or a total of $9,454.81 — more than three times the amount you borrowed. And that’s the option for borrowers with better credit.
But what if you went for a short-term loan instead? Say you borrowed $3,000 with an APR of 295% and a two-year term. You’d pay $14,791.03 in interest alone, or a total of $17,791.03 — almost six times the amount you borrowed.
Is it safe to apply for a BetterCash loan?
Generally, yes — though no company can 100% guarantee the safety of information you enter online. The BetterCash website uses TLS encryption to protect any personal details you enter. It also has a global security team that works around the clock to monitor and protect your information from threats.
It might share your personal details with other companies to market to you, though you can opt out by calling customer service at 888-689-0206.
What do borrowers say about BetterCash loans?
BetterCash has mixed online reviews as of November 2018. It’s not accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which gives it a B rating based on the short amount of time it’s been around.
Only four customers have left reviews on its BBB page, giving it an average of 3 out of 5 stars. Trustpilot users were more enthusiastic, giving it an average rating of 9 out of 10 based on nearly 130 reviews.
Multiple customers were happy with the fast turnaround time and customer service. Though some borrowers said the company was difficult to work with when they were unable to afford repayments.
Am I eligible?
To qualify for a BetterCash loan, you must:
- Be over 18 years old. This is the minimum legal age to get a loan in most states. You must be over 19 in Nebraska and Alabama.
- Have a checking account. Your account must be active and open for at least 45 days.
- Be employed. You qualify if you receive welfare as long as you also have a job.
- Get paid with direct deposit. Your employer must deposit your paycheck directly into your checking account to qualify.
- Not have any bankruptcies on your credit report. Bankruptcies typically stay on your credit report for up to seven years.
- Live in an eligible state. Short-term loans are available in 16 states, while long-term loans are available in 12 states.
Long-term loans also require a minimum credit score of 550.
Eligible states for short-term loans
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
Eligible states for long-term loans
- New Mexico
- North Dakota
- South Carolina
How do I apply?
You can apply for a BetterCash loan by filling out a quick online application.
- Go to the BetterCash website, and select your state and loan amount. Click Apply Now.
- Enter your personal information and how you plan on using the loan. Click Step 2.
- Select your job status, enter your income before taxes and create a password.
- Read the authorization and disclosure documents. Click Check Your Rate.
You should hear back about a decision within 24 hours. If you’re approved, review your offer and e-sign your loan documents. Your funds are usually deposited to your bank account the next business day.
I got a BetterCash loan. Now what?
Now you’re on the hook for repayments. You can find out exactly how much you owe and how often by referring to your loan documents.
BetterCash sets up automatic repayments as as default, though you can request to make repayments using your debit card, a cashier’s check or a money order. It doesn’t accept personal checks or prepaid debit cards as repayment.
Keep an eye on your loan balance. If possible, consider paying off some of your loan early to save on interest. If you have any questions, reach out to customer service by calling 888-689-0206.
BetterCash loans could be helpful if you’re in a pinch and need money fast. You’ll need to live in one of the 16 states it services to be eligible, however. And if you have strong credit, you can likely find more competitive rates and terms elsewhere.
Learn more about your short-term financing options by reading our payday loans guide.
Frequently asked questions
BetterCash loans is not currently available on Finder
Ask a question using your email below.Ask a question
You are about to post a question on finder.com:
- Do not enter personal information (eg. surname, phone number, bank details) as your question will be made public
- finder.com is a financial comparison and information service, not a bank or product provider
- We cannot provide you with personal advice or recommendations
- Your answer might already be waiting – check previous questions below to see if yours has already been asked