Best Buy online shopping review
A one-stop electronics shop with free shipping over $35.
Best Buy has thousands of items that ship for free when you spend at least $35. But its customer service team doesn’t have a great reputation around the web, so you might be better off shopping in person if you’re looking for personalized assistance.
Orders over $35
- Free shipping over $35
- Free returns
- No-interest financing on orders of $399 and more
- Loyalty program gives you up to 2.5% back in rewards/li>
- Save money by shopping already-opened and refurbished products
- Customer service is limited to phone only
- Its customer service has a poor reputation around the web
- Shipping can get pricey for purchases under $35
Reviews and complaints: Is Best Buy legit?
Yes! Best Buy has been around since 1966, when it was founded as an audio specialty store in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It has an A- rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), where it’s been accredited since 1970.
However, over 2,600 reviews on Trustpilot add up to only 1.5 out of 5 stars, with a Bad overall rating. Most of the negative reviews are about poor customer service issues. One reviewer was annoyed because they added an item to their online shopping cart that was out of stock when they tried to check out. Another shopper had trouble getting in touch with customer service over the phone and was frustrated by how long it took a representative to call them back.
A potential downside of Best Buy is that getting personalized help can be difficult since it’s such a huge company. If you value one-on-one assistance more than convenience, it may be worth visiting your neighborhood tech store instead of shopping online at Best Buy.
What brands does Best Buy sell?
Best Buy sells hundreds of name brands in everything from washing machines to phone chargers. Some of the most popular brands it sells include:
To see if it carries the brand you’re looking for, head to Bestbuy.com and select Brands.
Can I get free shipping at Best Buy?
Yes! Best Buy offers free standard shipping on most orders of $35 or more. It also offers free delivery on major appliances orders of $399 and more.
If you live near a Best Buy, you can also choose store or curbside pickup for free.
Shipping costs and options
The cost of shipping varies depending on your order and the shipping method you choose. For example, heavier items will probably cost more to ship Express than lighter items. You’ll see the cost of shipping after entering your address at checkout.
Best Buy uses UPS, FedEx and USPS to ship orders. You can typically choose between:
|Standard.||Delivered in 3 to 7 business days.|
|Two-Day Express.||Delivered in 2 business days; cost varies from $15 to $35, depending on purchase amount.|
|One-Day Express.||Delivered in 1 business day; cost varies from $25 to $45, depending on purchase amount.|
|Same Day.||Only available in selected areas.|
For large, heavy items and same-day delivery, here are your options:
- Scheduled delivery. This is for major appliances, TVs over 51″ and furniture.
- Same-day delivery. Only available on eligible orders and in select areas and ZIP codes, as long as you order before 3 p.m.
- Appliance delivery. Best Buy delivers major appliances that cost $399 and more for free, but you’ll need to pay if you want it installed. Check out its website to see how much to budget for installation — for example, dishwater installation, which includes a 90-day workmanship guarantee, costs $160. When you pay for installation, Best Buy will haul away your old appliance for free.
To track your Best Buy order, log in to your account and select Order Status.
Best Buy payments and financing
Best Buy accepts most major credit and debit cards. You can also pay for your order using a financing option or prepaid debit card.
Does Best Buy accept PayPal?
Yes, you can pay for your Best Buy purchase using PayPal — just choose it as your payment method at checkout.
Does Best Buy have financing options?
Yes — but only on purchases of $300 or more, and you have to pay using a My Best Buy credit card. The upside is that you won’t pay interest if you pay the balance within 12 months. So if you need a new washer, dryer or refrigerator today but need time to come up with the money, you could apply for the Best Buy credit card and have a year to pay it off without accumulating interest.
Best Buy returns and exchanges
If you need to return or exchange an item, how long you have will vary by product and ticks down from the day you receive it:
|For most products:||15 days|
|Cell phones and devices with a carrier contract:||14 days|
|Wedding registry items:||60 days|
Best Buy rewards its Elite Members with an extended period of 30 days and its Elite Plus Members with an extended 45 days.
Does Best Buy have free returns?
Yes! You can print a prepaid return shipping label from Best Buy’s website or return the item to any Best Buy store.
That said, Best Buy charges a restocking fee of $45 on cell phones (except prepaid phones), cellular tablets and cellular wearables. It charges a 15% restocking fee on select items, including drones, DSLR cameras and lenses and projectors. Be sure to read the terms and conditions before checking out to see whether you’ll be charged a restocking fee if you send the order back.
Does Best Buy do exchanges?
Yep! Its exchange policy is the same as its return policy. Get started with your exchange by logging into your Best Buy account or looking up your order using the order number that came in your confirmation email.
How do I return items to Best Buy?
You have three ways to return a product:
- In store. Return any item purchased on BestBuy.com at any Best Buy store with your receipt or packing slip, the credit card used to make your purchase and valid photo ID.
- By mail via a carrier of your choice. Place the return form of your packing slip in the box with the purchased item, put the return label on the package, add postage and mail it off.
- By UPS. Follow Best Buy’s instructions for printing a prepaid return label. Put the item and the packing slip into the box, applying the prepaid return label to the front of the box. Take it to a UPS drop-off location, and the return shipping fee will be deducted from your refund.
Best Buy discounts and sales
Best Buy offers a Deal of the Day that changes every 24 hours. For instance, at the time of writing, it had a Philips Hue White BR30 Starter Kit on sale for $55, down from $80. You can see more deals by going to BestBuy.com and selecting Deals.
- Insider tip: Best Buy outlet sells items that were opened and then returned but are in perfectly fine condition. Shop the outlet for up to 40% off TVs and appliances, along with major discounts on open-box laptops. You can also save up to 30% off by shopping its collection of refurbished electronics.
The next sitewide sale at Best Buy will most likely be on Black Friday and Cyber Monday, the weekend after Thanksgiving. We usually see huge discounts on everything from TVs to iPhones. In the past, it offered $150 off Beats by Dr. Dre Studio 3, up to $500 off the latest iPhone, 50% off select car audio bundles and up to 50% off small kitchen appliances — just to name a handful of sales.
Does Best Buy offer a student discount?
No, Best Buy does not offer a student discount. However, it has exclusive deals for students, especially during the late summer and fall when classes begin. To access these deals, sign up for its mailing list using your .edu email address.
Does Best Buy offer a military discount?
No, Best Buy does not offer a military discount.
How can I contact customer support?
Call 1-888-237-8289 to get in touch with Best Buy’s customer service team.
Best Buy alternatives
If Best Buy’s online shipping experience isn’t quite what you’re looking for, shop the competition:
- Newegg. This mecca for tech junkies is known for low prices on computer parts, unlocked phones, cameras, gaming products and more.
- Micro Center. Check out Micro Center’s refurbished deals for amazing prices on products reverted to factory specifications. On many items, you can get 18-minute store pickup.
- Overstock. Get free shipping on everything and a 15% off coupon just for signing up for Overstock’s mailing list. Its free rewards program can save you money over time.
- Staples. Buy computers, printers, scanners, office furniture and more — with free shipping on all orders and no minimum. Join its free rewards program to get up to 5% back in rewards on every purchase.