Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Tower fan buying guide
Stay cool all summer long.
Buying a tower fan can be an affordable way to cool your home. Tower fans are more suited to smaller spaces and can offer extra features such as dust filters and ionizers. We’ll help you compare tower fans and help you decide upon the best fan to combat sticky summer nights.
Compare some of the best tower fans
|Name||Average price||Number of speeds||Oscillating?||Remote?||Purchase|
|Lasko 4924 High Velocity Blower Fan with Handle||$65||3||Yes||No||Buy now|
|Honeywell Fresh Breeze||$69||3||Yes||Yes||Buy now|
|Dyson Cool AM07 Air Multiplier||$300||10||Yes||Yes||Buy now|
|Honeywell Quiet Set Whole Room||$49||5||Yes||Yes||Buy now|
|TRUSTECH 48” Oscillating Tower Fan||$90||3||Yes||Yes||Buy now|
What are tower fans?
Tower fans are alternatives or supplements to ceiling fans and air conditioners. They work by pushing and pulling air through vents in the tower, using impeller blades.
Why should I consider a tower fan?
There are a number of benefits to choosing a tower fan over ceiling fans or air conditioners.
- Flexibility. Tower fans provide flexibility that air conditioners and ceiling fans cannot. You can easily pick them up and move them from room to room or aim them in a specific direction as needed. You can also transport them between homes and offices, should you find yourself on the move.
- Cost-effectiveness. Tower fans run at a fraction of the cost of air conditioners. If you’re worried about mounting electricity bills or your environmental footprint, a tower fan could be the way to go.
- No chill factor. Air conditioners “chill” a room with cool air. Some people find this to be uncomfortable. If you want to cool down without being frozen, a tower fan could be the right option for you.
How to compare tower fans
Tower fans can cost anywhere from $20 for a basic model to upwards of $300 or more for a high-tech fan. Consider your budget and these important features when shopping:
- Space. Know which room you want to use your fan in and choose a model that’ll fit without taking up too much space. If you’ll be using the fan in a child’s bedroom, look for a tower fan with concealed blades or a bladeless design.
- Timers. If you’re using the fan in a bedroom, you can set a timer to power off while you are asleep. If you know you’ll be arriving home from a hot day of work, you can set the timer to turn on just before you walk through the door.
- Speed settings. Adjustable speed settings allow you to moderate the temperature within your space.
- Height. Think about how you’ll use your fan, and where you’ll want the airflow directed to determine an ideal fan height.
- Remote. Many tower fans come with a remote that allows you to adjust settings and use other special features without getting up.
- Noise. Some models offer night modes that operate at slower speeds and lower volumes. In general, higher fan speeds are noisier, but loose mechanisms can also generate sounds.
Tower fans can instantly increase the comfort level of practically any space by increasing air flow and cooling you down. Consider your budget, space and which special features you can’t live without when comparing your options.
How did we choose these products?
We compared some of the most popular tower fans currently available, looking at features like size, noise level, extra features and price.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
31 Asian American-owned businesses to support
Find both veterans and up-and-coming brands in a wide range of industries — from beauty to coffee to interior design.
Top 15+ stores to buy girls’ clothing
Scoop up some of the best deals on girls’ clothing, from cozy sweaters, comfy athletic wear and everything in between. Plus see where to get free shipping.
How do New Balance myNB rewards work?
Get $5 for every $100 you spend on this popular fitness brand.
8 best artificial Christmas trees
Kick up your slippered feet — we’ve rounded up the best pine trees that don’t need any TLC. See our faves for budget, realistic, small spaces and more.
Molekule review: Can it improve your home’s air quality?
Here’s what to know about Molekule, the air purifier that promises to destroy pollutants in your home like smoke, dust and mold.
Where to buy a face mask with nose wires
Get your hands on a face mask with built-in nose wires, for a covering that fits snugly. Plus, see which stores offer free shipping.
Famous Airbnb houses from movies and TV you can rent
Rent homes featured on classic TV shows and movies, from Twilight to Breaking Bad.
Compare the best air purifiers
Learn how to choose an air purifier to filter harmful particles out of the air so you can breathe easier in your home or office.
Airbnb vs Vrbo
Compare fees, amenities, location and more to book the best rental for your next vacation.
Best time to visit Yellowstone National Park
Guide to Yellowstone, including cost and transportation options.
Ask an Expert