Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Best time to visit Malaysia
Get cheap flights, avoid the crowds and stay dry in this southeastern Asian nation.
Updated . What changed?
The best time to visit Malaysia depends on whether you’re planning to visit the east or west coast. Read on to learn about the best time to visit for scuba diving and snorkeling, hitting the beaches and sightseeing from coast to coast.
When is the best time to visit Malaysia?
If you’re traveling to the east coast, visit between April and September to steer clear of the wet season and heavy rains. Peak tourism happens in June, July and August, so travel in April or May to avoid long lines and crowds.
If you’re headed to the west coast, the lowlands or the highlands, November to March offers the perfect pairing of dry weather and off-peak prices.
Best time to visit Malaysia for activities
- Sightseeing. November to March is best because it typically gets the smallest amount of rain. In Kuala Lumpur, we recommend visiting the Petronas Twin Towers as well as the nearby Batu Caves.
- Beaches. You can enjoy the beach all year round in Malaysia, though rain showers are pretty common. The best and driest time to visit the beach — or stay in an overwater bungalow — varies, depending on what part of the country you’re in. Aim for March to September on the east coast, and from November to August in the west.
- Snorkeling and diving. The majority of the best dive and snorkeling spots are located on the eastern peninsula, making the best time of year to visit between April and September. Monsoon season hits from October to March, making the water murky and visibility unclear. For diving and snorkeling on the west coast, you should plan a visit between November and August.
- Honeymoon. Honeymoons are ideal at resorts on the east coast. March to mid-May and September will give you the best weather, lower prices and fewer crowds — plus minimal rain.
Cheapest time to visit Malaysia
The cheapest time to fly to Malaysia from the US is April or May, with flights costing an average of $687 roundtrip, according to Skyscanner. You should also be able to find good deals on hotels during April and May, since summer tourist traffic doesn’t usually pick up until June.
Malaysia has consistent hot and humid weather year round. The west coast experiences its wet season from April to October, but thundershowers are usually brief and provide a relief from the humidity. The east coast’s rainy season is from November to February and has heavier rainfall. Most beaches and accommodations are closed until March.
Temperatures are consistent all year round. Expect 70°F to 90°F on the coast and slightly cooler in the highlands, about 59°F to 77°F. Shoulder-season months November and March are ideal for travel deals and smaller crowds.
Take a look at the average monthly temps and rainfall in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia’s capitol city, before packing your bags.
Average monthly temps in Kuala Lumpur
|High||90° F||91° F||92° F||92° F||92° F||91° F||90° F||90° F||90° F||90° F||89° F||89° F|
|Low||73° F||74° F||75° F||75° F||76° F||75° F||74° F||74° F||74° F||74° F||74° F||74° F|
|Rain||11 days||9 days||12 days||13 days||11 days||7 days||9 days||8 days||11 days||13 days||16 days||13 days|
Average yearly temperatures sourced from NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) in February 2021.
Events and holidays in Malaysia
No matter the season, you can take part in Malaysian festivities by scheduling your trip around a holiday or other cultural event.
- Dragon Boat Festival
- Hungry Ghost Festival
- UNICEF Borneo Marathon
- Vesak Day Parade
- Borneo Cultural Festival
- KL International Jazz and Arts Festival
- Cooler Lumpur Festival
- Borneo International Kite Festival
- Malaysia Fashion Week
- Penang Bridge International Marathon
- Resolution Run
- Chinese New Year
- Lantern Festival
- Penang Hot Air Balloon Fiesta
- Penang International Dragon Boat Festival
- Malaysia Day
- Songkran Water Festival
- Sabah International Fishing Tournament
- Penang International Food Festival
- Langkawi International Maritime and Aerospace Exhibition
Best time to visit Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand
Singapore and Malaysia have similar weather all year round. It’s usually best to avoid the heavier rainy season in Singapore by traveling in November, February and March. That way, you can skip crowds around Christmas, New Year’s and Chinese New Year.
Weather in Thailand tends to fluctuate more throughout the year than in Malaysia and Singapore. That said, the best time to visit this trio of South Asian nations is still from November to March. April brings extreme heat and humidity, as well as the start of the rainy season.
November to March is peak tourist season, but crowds tend to dwindle as spring nears. So choose March for that sweet spot between lower prices, fewer tourists and gorgeous weather.
After you’ve chosen the best time for your trip to Malaysia, compare flights to book an ideal route at the cheapest price.
Frequently asked questions
Do I need a SIM card when I visit Malaysia?
Yes — we recommend securing a SIM card before touching down in Malaysia. It will likely save you lots of money on roaming charges.
Malaysia travel deals
More guides on Finder
What to expect from the Target 14 Days of Beauty sale
Get all the details on Target’s 14 Days of Beauty sale. And find some hacks on how to stretch your dollar and stack the savings.
Which US states are hit most often by hurricanes?
We took a stroll down hurricane alley to learn which states are the most at risk for being hit, what time of year is the most active and which violent storms cost the most.
Fall foliage guide for 2020
See peak fall foliage dates across the USA.
Best time to visit Yosemite National Park
Guide to Yosemite for first-time visitors, including accommodation, costs and things to do.
Best time to visit Yellowstone National Park
Guide to Yellowstone, including cost and transportation options.
Best lines to cruise from Australia to New Zealand
Whether you’re a family, solo traveller or senior, find the ideal cruise for your needs to take you between Australia and New Zealand.
Best cruises from Perth, Australia
Aussie favorites, loved-up getaways, family adventures and gourmet encounters on cruises from Perth.
Cruises from Mobile, Alabama
Embark on an island adventure from this gracious coastal town.
Best Iceland tours and tour companies for 2021
Make the most of your visit to the land of fire and ice by traveling with an expert guide.
Best time to travel to South America
Time your adventure just right based on weather, price and crowds.
Ask an Expert