Find out the best time to visit this Asian nation based on all those niggling holiday musts.
We’ve taken into account clear skies, pleasant temperatures, less crowds and budget-friendly flights to figure out the winning time to see China.
Best time to visit China
April to June and September to October are two of the best times of year to visit China. Both spring and autumn afford cool, pleasant temperatures throughout most of China’s popular cities.
Traveling during these dates also means you’ll avoid the major school holiday breaks around the world — July to August and December to January.
When is peak travel season in China?
July through August is when you’ll find the most amount of tourists visiting China — school is out and many people will be taking summer vacations.
Not only will it be hot outside, but you’ll also find that many hotels will be fully booked and attractions will be overflowed with camera touting tourists.
Public holidays in China
Regardless of avoiding the heat, cold or tourists, the one time you may want to avoid when visiting China is during Chinese holidays. The Spring Festival (late January to early February) and National Day (the first week of October) are two holidays when an enormous amount of travelers flock to China.
If you have to travel during these times, be aware that prices for flights, accommodations and likely everything else will be more expensive.
Hot travel deals
Search and book cheap flights to China
Beijing Small-Group Chinese Cooking Class & Market Tour
Beijing Ghost Street Food Evening Walk
Beijing Private Half-Day Maliandao Tea Tour with Tastings & Lunch
Beijing Attractions & Great Wall Bus Tour with Lunch
Ancient Beijing, Giant Pandas & Olympic Stadium Tour
Classic Beijing Full Day Tour
Small-Group Great Wall of China Experience Tour
Book reservations for China hotels, motels, and resorts
Great Wall of China & Ming Tombs Private Tour
China flight + hotel packages
China hotel deals finder
Great hotel values in Beijing, China
Today's flight deals to Beijing, China
Search rental car deals in China
China experiences all four seasons. Expect cold and snow in the winter and heat and humidity in the summer. As the country is so vast, temperatures vary greatly depending on your location and elevation, so it’s best to decide which cities you’d like to see before deciding on when to visit them.
China is a popular destination for Americans and business people, so for less crowds and bigger bargains, steer clear during the holiday peak periods of June to July and December.
Weather and prices
Best time to visit China, weather wise:
April to June and September to October offer cool weather in many tourist destinations.
Cheapest time to visit China:
You can find the lowest prices from December to February as the weather drops to freezing in many tourist cities. For bargains with more pleasant temperatures, search for deals between March and April or between October and November when the weather is either warming up or cooling down.
Best time to visit China for…
- Sightseeing. Sightseeing is good all year round though you should avoid the summer when monsoons are prevalent.
- Festivals and events. Two of China’s major festivals are Chinese New Year (January or February) and National Day (1 October). Both are must-see experiences for visitors. Just remember that there will be a lot of people visiting at this time.
- Mountain exploration. You should visit mountainous areas such as Tibet and Inner Mongolia during summer as winters in China’s mountains can be harsh.
- Snow sports and attractions. China’s top ski resorts include Alshan, Yabuli, Huaibei, Nanshan and Xiling. They are in season between November and April.
- Visiting the countryside. Visiting the countryside is good all year round, but it is best during the cooler spring and autumn shoulder months.