This article contains links to products or services from one or more of our advertisers or partners. We may receive a commission when you click or make a purchase using our site. Learn more about how we make money.
Best time to buy appliances
Plan your purchase for maximum savings.
Updated . What changed?
Certain times of year are better than others to get a great deal on new appliances. Find out when to shop to get the most savings, plus read up on some appliance-buying tips to stretch your dollars.
When’s the best time to buy appliances?
Plan your appliance shopping during these times of the year, month and week to help get the most bang for your buck.
- September, October and January. These are the times of year when manufacturers roll out new models. So retailers often drop prices to move old stock to make way for the new inventory.
- May. Refrigerators tend to go on sale in May, as most new models come out in the summer. Look for hot deals over the Memorial Day weekend.
- End of the month. Appliances are often sold on commission or monthly quotas, so the end of the month can be a great time to negotiate a bottom-dollar deal.
- Thursdays. You’ll have better luck bagging up a bargain during the week than over the busy weekend. In particular, Thursdays tend to be the best day for weekday sales before the weekend kicks off.
- Holiday weekends. Plan your appliance shopping for just about any holiday weekend to save big bucks. Some of the biggest shopping holidays include Black Friday, Memorial Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day and the Fourth of July.
Appliance shopping tips
These handy shopping tips might be able to help you save even more when searching for appliances:
- Consider the seasonality of the appliance you’re purchasing. For example, you’ll likely find better deals on air conditioners in the fall or winter than in the dog days of summer.
- Take advantage of price matching. Lots of leading appliance retailers will match or beat competitors’ pricing. And if not, don’t be afraid to ask if the sticker price is the best they can do. The worst they can say is yes.
- Measure twice, buy once. Make sure your new appliance will fit in the allotted space in your house, as well as fit through any doors or hallways needed to get there.
- Compare online prices. You might be able to get a better deal when shopping online versus at the store, and you’ll probably have more options than what’s on the floor at your local store.
- Cash in on free delivery. Most major retailers offer free appliance delivery when you spend a certain amount — usually right under $400. If you’re not quite at this threshold, consider adding to your order or asking if the store would be willing to offer free delivery anyway.
- Factor in your utility bills. Energy-efficient appliances can help reduce your monthly electric, water and gas bills, so it may be worth it in the long run to opt for a more efficient model if it’s in your budget.
- Weigh the pros and cons of the extended warranty. No matter where you shop, you’ll most likely be offered an extended warranty for an additional fee. Read the fine print and ask questions to weigh the benefits and drawbacks of tacking on this extra cost. In some cases, it might make sense to pay a little more now and avoid costly repairs later. In other situations, your money might be better off sitting in your savings account, just in case.
- Don’t wait until you have an urgent need to buy. If you have a hunch that your refrigerator is on its way out, start shopping around for a replacement before it kicks the bucket. Otherwise, you may need to make a rash decision to buy and could pay top dollar as a result.
If you can time your appliance purchases just right, you could rake in savings. The same goes for other major purchases including TVs, mattresses and fine jewelry.
Take a look at our guide outlining the best time to shop for anything to keep the savings coming.
Our top picks
KitchenAid® Artisan® Design Series Stand Mixer & Glass Bowl
KitchenAid Convection Oven and Gas Range
Terry Kitchen Dish Cloths Set of 6
Dunning Oak Kitchen Island Light
Bellini Kitchen Master
Kitchenaid Hand Mixer
Compare financing options for your purchaseWe pulled together four of the top financing options available from our partners.
Our pick for 0% intro APR
Chase Freedom Flex℠
Our pick to earn cashback
Citi® Double Cash Card
Our pick to get the lowest interest rate
Fiona personal loans
Our pick for bad credit
Monevo personal loans
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
18 top shackets to buy right now
You’re missing out big time if you don’t have a shacket — shirt/jacket hybrid. We tracked down the best shackets for every style, from eclectic to classic.
Top 15+ stores to buy girls’ clothing
Scoop up some of the best deals on girls’ clothing, from cozy sweaters, comfy athletic wear and everything in between. Plus see where to get free shipping.
Cyber Monday deals that are actually worth it
Score major discounts on everything from tech to fashion when you shop Cyber Monday’s blowout sales.
Best Black Friday appliance deals
Here’s where to score the best Black Friday appliance deals, including major steals on vacuums and refrigerators.
New Balance Black Friday deals
Sprint ahead with New Balance’s Black Friday deals.
Is now a good time to buy a car? 5 ways COVID-19 may have helped you
Navigate car deals and a wavering market if you’re buying a ride during the coronavirus.
8 best artificial Christmas trees
Kick up your slippered feet — we’ve rounded up the best pine trees that don’t need any TLC. See our faves for budget, realistic, small spaces and more.
Where to buy a Thanksgiving turkey
These top online stores have fresh and frozen turkey in stock, plus holiday sides, desserts and more. See which stores offer same-day delivery and extra savings.
Peapod is a delivery service that shops, packs and delivers your groceries to your home or business. See a step-by-step guide, customer reviews and what to watch out for.
Mattress shoppers willing to pay for comfort – here’s how to get a comfy deal
A J.D. Power report reveals that consumers put comfort over price when shopping for mattresses. Here are the top brands and tips to save money too.
Ask an Expert