Best places to visit in October 2017
Our top five destinations to spend the middle of fall in.
Autumn has arrived, and we’re cooling things down with these cool destinations to travel to this month.
Where will you go?
The 5 best places to visit in October
1. Best budget destination: Bali
In October, you’ll find the island boasting idyllic dry and warm weather conditions.
- October weather. 80-88 degrees, dry season
- Top October events. Agni Hotra Fire Ceremony, Bali Vegan Festival and New Kuta Golf Biggest Anniversary Tournament
2. Best city to visit: Beijing
It’s not too late to tick the Great Wall off your bucket list for 2017, and with cool temperatures and minimal rainfall, October is the time to do just that.
As a nation, October is one of the best times to visit China. This is not only for its weather but because of cheap off-peak prices and to catch celebrations like National Day on Oct. 1.
- October weather. 45-65 degrees, autumn
- Top October events. National Day (Oct. 1-3)
3. Best for beaches: Fiji
Set your clocks to Fiji time this month as you unwind on its pristine beaches and adopt its relaxed way of life.
Whether you’re cruising to the island or flying in, October to November flourishes with affordable accommodation, clear skies and a small crowd of vacationers who know October, not December, is when to place your bum on Fijian sand or surf the gnarly waves.
- October weather. 79-86 degrees, dry season
- Top October events. 2017 Nurture Change Retreat (Oct. 25 – Nov. 12) and Colonial Fiji Discovery Tour (Oct. 3-10).
Image: Jane Gillings, The Pearly Gates, Sculpture by the Sea, Bondi 2016. Photo Cyde Yee
4. Best for events: Sydney
The largest public sculpture festival in the world, Sculpture By The Sea, welcomes its 19th anniversary on Bondi Beach this year. If you’ve got some paid time off you need to use up, it’s well worth the trip for a few days wandering the beach, playing with life-sized sculptures and soaking up the spring sunshine.
Naturally, it’s not the only event running this October with Good Food Month and the end of Art and About Sydney ready to entertain and delight all the senses.
- October weather. 70-79 degrees, spring
- Top October events. Sculpture By The Sea (Oct. 19 – Nov. 5), LaVazza Italian Film Festival (Sept. 12 – Oct. 8), Good Food Month (Oct. 5-22), Sydney Beer Week (Oct. 20-29) and Oktoberfest in the Gardens (Oct. 28).
5. Best surprise destination: The Himalayas
October is officially all about crossing off your bucket list items. And, if walking the Great Wall wasn’t enough for you, try trekking the Himalayas.
October marks the beginning of hiking season and most trails are starting to open up. Tours through Nepal can start from as little as $1,399 per person for a 15-day experience with TourRadar but tours are available for up to 21 days.
- October weather. 79-95 degrees, autumn
- Top October events. Dashain (Sept. 27 – Oct. 5) and Tihar (Oct. 17-21).
Top October events
- Oktoberfest. Even though Oktoberfest starts in September, it runs through the first half of October. You don’t even have to be in Germany to celebrate Oktoberfest, as numerous destinations around the world host their own parties.
- Halloween. Oct. 31 is Halloween, a day of tricks, treats and parties.
The best time to travel in October
October is relatively quiet for travelers, making it low season and a great time to travel.
The best time to travel is the middle to end of October, as kids are back in school and, if you’re planning to travel to the Southern Hemisphere, the weather will be warming up.
October is also a quiet month for international travel as again, it’s outside of the major school holiday period. Being that period between the summer break for the Northern Hemisphere and Christmas, people tend not to take leave during this month, preferring to save it for the Christmas holidays.