If where you sleep is a literal pain in the back, it’s time to upgrade your bed.
Living with back pain flat out stinks. But if you’re going to sleep every night on a flimsy, unsupportive mattress, your pain isn’t likely to go away.
In fact, each night on the wrong mattress could make your back pain worse.
If you’re tired of tossing and turning only to wake up with stiff and sore, it’s time to focus on a mattress that alleviates back pain and helps you get a better night’s sleep. Finally.
Best mattresses for back pain
The perfect bed is out there — and it’s customizable.
People who suffer from chronic back pain can have a hard time finding a mattress that’s firm enough. To solve this problem, Helix offers customization fit just for you. Simply take a short quiz on its website to learn the firmness level ideal fit for your back.
- Dual-comfort options available..
- Eases back pain and pressure points..
Where to buy:
Two layers of gel memory foam lull your body to sleep without the pain.
Built with two supportive foam layers, two gel memory foam layers and a Tencel cooling cover, Nectar’s mattress gives back pain a run for its money. And with the perfect medium firmness level, it’s not too soft or too hard for any type of sleeper. A budget-friendly price only sweetens your dreams.
- Perfect medium firmness..
- 365-night trial..
- Lifetime warranty..
Eight Sleep Saturn
Getting rid of back pain while you dream just got super high-tech.
Eight Sleep designs some of the most technologically sophisticated beds on the market. And the reasonably priced Saturn model is an excellent choice for sleepers with back pain.
The Saturns’ three layers of medium-firmness responsive foam helps relieve your back and hip pain with enough support and give to keep you aligned while you slumber. Plus, its built-in tracking sensors leverage your natural sleep patterns and biosignals to help you recover.
- Medium firmness.
- Sleep-tracking technology.
- Six inches of supportive foam.
Import that hotel-bed feel to the comforts of your home every single night.
DreamCloud is a luxury hybrid mattress that wraps up the benefits of three types of mattresses in one. It’s made of a whopping eight layers of foam types, latex and pocketed coils to lull you into your best sleep yet. Online reviews for this mattress literally say it makes them feel like they’re sleeping on a cloud.
- Eight layers of hybrid materials.
- 365-night trial.
- Lifetime warranty.
Where to buy:
If foam isn’t your cup of tea, Saatva’s luxury latex could spell the bed of your pain-free dreams.
Zenhaven by Saatva is made of 100% Talalay latex, which provides optimum spinal support without feeling like a rock. This bed is also known for its unbeatable breathability — so if you wake up sweating in pain most nights, Zenhaven could be the answer to your nighttime woes.
- 100% Talalay latex.
- Extremely breathable.
- Choose from two firmness levels.
How will my back pain improve with a new mattress?
A mattress without support can worsen existing back pain. It’s sometimes the source of pain to begin with.
The human spine is naturally curved in three places, and your mattress needs to provide enough support to keep it aligned yet offer enough give to avoid creating painful pressure points at these curves.
The three spinal regions to keep in mind when choosing a mattress are:
- Cervical. The first of the three sections that connects your spine to your head. If you’re sleeping on the wrong pillow, you might feel pain here.
- Thoracic. The middle third of your spine that supports your ribs and upper body.
- Lumbar. The bottom third of your spine that supports your lower back and is often thrown out of alignment from sleeping on a sagging or unsupportive mattress.
When searching for a new bed to help relieve back pain, look for:
- Support. A medium-firm mattress is ideal for back pain, providing adequate support while also cradling the natural curves of your spine.
- Durability. A mattress that sags and becomes uncomfortable within a year or two isn’t going to do your back any good. Look for a bed that’s shown to stand up to years of wear and tear without losing its supportive structure.
- Sleep trial. If you’re buying a mattress online, make sure you take advantage of its sleep trial. Test out your new bed for as long as you’re able within the trial period to make sure it doesn’t aggravate your back pain.
- Pillows. Most online mattress brands also sell pillows to help with neck, back and shoulder pain. If you’re using the same pillow from high school, look into an upgrade.
Compare top mattresses for back pain
Sleeping shouldn’t be a pain. If you can’t find a comfortable sleeping position and wake up with creaks and cracks in your neck, shoulders and back, don’t suffer on your current mattress.
Compare online mattress brands to find a satisfying slumber without soreness.
Frequently asked questions
Our top mattress promo codes April 2019
Show the AllsWell mattress for as low as $29/month with Affirm
$150 off a Wave mattress
Free shipping and returns included with your order
Plus Casper does their best to donate every returned mattress to a local charity.
Take $100 off any mattress
Plus 2 free fresh pillows ($200 value). T&Cs apply
0% APR mattress financing
If paid in full within 6 months
10% off orders
Photo by Tracey Hocking on Unsplash