Love shouldn’t mean getting a lousy night’s sleep.
As a couple, you’re faced with tough decisions — among them which mattress you’ll lay your heads on together. You like a bed that’s softer than clouds, but your partner likes something as hard as a rock. Maybe that old memory foam has sunk the two of you sinking toward each other when you’d rather sleep your separate ways.
Relationships are full of compromises, sure. But if you’re tossing and turning all night, it’s time to break up with your old bed. Not each other.
Best mattresses for couples
Finicky about firmness? Split the difference by customizing your own side of the bed!
Helix is about personalization, even if you’re a couple searching for your dream beds wrapped into one. Before you buy online, you take a quick quiz to figure out the foolproof firmness for both of you, based on your age, height, weight and sleeping habits. If you two end up with vastly different ideal types, Helix creates a dual mattress that splits your needs down the middle.
- Customizable for both partners
- Absorbs movements with isolation coils
- Eases back pain and pressure points
Where to buy:
Sapira by Leesa
Teaming up great edge support, hug, bounce and cooling technology, it’s got couples written all over it.
If you don’t mind spending a little more than your average all-foam mattress, the hybrid Sapira mattress by Leesa just might be your next dream bed. This mattress offers less sagging along the edge, while conforming to your body shape and providing the give fit for a romp in the hay or catching some Zs.
- Excellent edge support
- Foam and pocket-spring hybrid for extra support
- Avena foam cooling technology
Finding a happy medium that’s just right for cosleepers is a breeze with this popular brand.
Purple isn’t like any traditional foam you’ve tried, and it’s certainly not like those old spring coils. For a moderately priced mattress that offers the support of spring coils and the bounce of foam — without the negatives of either — give Purple a try. Plus, its unique elastic polymer material sleeps cooler than most all-foam options out there.
- Great responsiveness
- Sleeps cooler than foam
- Several firmness options
Alexander Signature Hybrid by Nest Bedding
This mattress tops the charts for couples. And it’s not good for merely sleeping, either.
We’ll come right out and say it: This bed was first on our list of the best mattresses for sex. And for good reason. Combining all the ingredients for a stellar roll in the sack — edge support, bounce and three firmness levels — plus comfort to boot, we couldn’t keep this bed off our radar if we tried.
- Great edge support
- Copper-infused foam
- Three firmness options
Where to buy:
Loom and Leaf by Saatva
Upgrade your foam mattress to something cooler — literally.
If you like the feel of foam but hate how hot it can get, look to Loom and Leaf. The brand features three supportive layers of foam plus a special layer of cooling gel to keep you refreshed, comfy and content all night long.
- Cooling spinal gel
- Two firmness options
- 120-night trial period
Where to buy:
How will my sleep quality improve with a new mattress?
Sharing a bed with someone isn’t all snuggles and butterflies. It can make for a lot of tossing and turning, neck and shoulder pain and maybe even an elbow to the face — no matter how much your partner swears they don’t remember it.
While we can’t guarantee that a new bed will keep the covers where they belong, we can help you find a mattress that gets you both sleeping soundly.
When searching for the ultimate couples mattress, pay attention to:
- Customization. Chances are good that you and your partner prefer different types of sleep, so it’s likely you’ll like different types of mattresses. If you find a mattress that lets you customize each side to fit your needs, you might have a winner.
- Edge support. When you’re sleeping alone in the middle of the bed, support might not be an issue. But when you slip off the side while sleeping, you’ve got a problem.
- Bounce. Your bed isn’t just for sleeping. Look for just enough of a bounce so that extracurricular activities are as fun.
- Motion transfer. Bouncy is good, but to an extent. You don’t want to feel every movement your partner makes while slumbering. Look for a bed that provides a balance of these qualities without going overboard.
- Coolness and airflow. Two heats things up in more ways than one. If your current bed retains heat, it might be time to look for something that stays cooler — and keeps you in bed together longer.
Compare top mattresses for couples
If you wake up grumpy, your saggy old bed might be to blame. Not your partner. Do your relationship — and sex life — a favor by upgrading your mattress to something that’s better suited to both of your needs.
Not sure which mattress is the right pick for you and your love? Compare a range of online mattress brands before making a decision.
Frequently asked questions
Our top mattress promo codes October 2018
Free platform base or pillow with any mattress purchase
Up to $189 value
0% APR mattress financing
If paid in full within 6 months
Risk free trial and 0% financing
10% off orders
Rest easy with Cozy Zero 0% financing
Plus 100 day satisfaction guarantee and free returns.
Try risk free for 100 nights
Plus free shipping on your new mattress