Your guide to sleeping well without emptying your wallet.
Let’s face it, buying a new mattress is a big decision that you’ll probably have to save for. But if you’ve been putting it off because they’re just too expensive, do your body a favor and take a look at some of these affordable, yet high-quality, choices. You’ll finally get a good night’s rest — without depleting your savings.
Best affordable mattresses
Get two mattresses in one — for one stellar price.
The Layla mattress comes with two sides — one soft, one firm — and all you have to do to try them both is flip your mattress over! So if you’re not sure if you’re a firm or soft type of sleeper, or if you’re shopping for a guest bed, Layla’s flippable copper-infused memory foam mattress just might be the perfect fit.
- Comes with a firm and a soft side
- Antimicrobial copper-infused foam
- Lifetime warranty
Where to buy:
Take an entire year to test out this mattress before committing to own it.
If you’re new to the world of online mattress shopping, you might be a little wary about forking over hundreds of dollars for a bed you’ve never felt. With Nectar, you get a full 365 days to try out your new bed before deciding if it’s worth every penny. And even though this mattress doesn’t cost a fortune, it still comes with four layers of foam, cooling technology, dust mite protection and a lifelong warranty.
Tuft & Needle
No gimmicks, just a downright comfy bed.
In a sea of bed-in-a-box foam mattresses, Tuft & Needle stands out for its simplicity. The brand prides itself on offering a high-quality, affordable mattress that doesn’t use frills and gimmicks for the sake of charging you more. But that doesn’t mean you’re not getting the bang for your buck. This mattress features wicking graphite to keep you cool and adaptive foam for maximum body contouring while you sleep.
- Great mix of value and quality
- Cooling graphite
- Adaptive foam
Where to buy:
- Tuft & Needle
A great night’s sleep is just three layers away.
Why pay for more layers when all you need is three ultra-durable ones? Casper’s Essential model is a streamlined version of its well-known original mattress — and so is the price. For almost $400 less than the signature Casper, you can get the breathability, comfort and support this brand’s known for. Plus, the Essential is now stocked in many Target stores across the country, so you could even try one out before you buy.
- Great mix of value and quality
- Carried in many Target stores
- Can be used on any supportive frame or base
Live and Sleep Classic
Get the support you need and the plush feel you want — for a price you can afford.
Live and Sleep’s Classic mattress gives you a 10-inch-thick layer of responsive foam sandwiched between a plush memory foam top and supportive base — all at a competitive price that might even leave extra room in your budget for a new pillow or two. The only downside is you’ll have just 30 days to take this mattress for a test spin.
- Free 4- to 7-day shipping
- Medium firmness
- 20-year warranty
Is the perfect mix of support and softness so much to ask? This brand doesn’t think so.
Sure, you want a mattress that’ll keep you afloat all night, but you also don’t want to feel like you’re sleeping on a rock. If you’re looking for that perfect blend of support and plush softness without breaking the bank, Eve could be your new favorite bed.
- Blend of comfort and support
- Breathable cooling layer
- Interest-free financing options for eligible customers
Where to buy:
How will my sleep quality improve by getting a new mattress?
Don’t sacrifice your sleep for the sake of your wallet! There are plenty of affordable mattress options out there that can help you get a better night’s sleep and wake up feeling energized without shelling out thousands of dollars.
But it’s true, you’ll sift through lots of gimmicky bells and whistles before you find the bed of your dreams. In general, look for these three qualities when shopping for a new mattress, and don’t get distracted by shiny marketing claims.
- Support. Most importantly, you want a mattress that’ll support you, not something that’ll leave you sagging. Most bed-in-a-box mattresses are foam or foam hybrids, which are usually firmer and more supportive than your average spring coil mattress. If you’re not used to foam, though, look for an affordable latex or hybrid option to try first.
- Responsiveness. Your bed should keep you supported, but it should allow for some give and bounce when you need it. Take a look at our review of the best mattresses for sex to see what we mean when we say sometimes you want a little spring in your bed.
- Pressure-point relief. It’s helpful to know if you’re a side, back or stomach sleeper so you can choose a mattress with the right pressure-point relief for your sleeping style. Side and back sleepers have more pressure points, so choosing something that contours to your body is important. For stomach sleepers, you might need a little extra support to keep your spine in alignment.
Compare top affordable mattresses
How can I finance a mattress?
Most online mattress brands have a financing option that lets you pay for your new bed in smaller monthly installments, rather than handing over hundreds of dollars all at once. If financing is available, you should see an option to click on Affirm, Klarna or another financing partner at checkout. It should only take a few minutes to see if you’re approved and get details on interest rates and any special promotions, like 0% APR for the first six months.
Getting a better night’s sleep doesn’t have to mean forking over your life’s savings. With so many online mattress brands to choose from, these companies are now competing to win over your business by offering high-quality options at affordable prices.
Still not quite sure which bed is right for you? Compare online mattress brands to get the most bang for your buck.
Frequently asked questions
Our top mattress promo codes December 2018
Free shipping and returns included with your order
Plus Casper does their best to donate every returned mattress to a local charity.
Take $100 off any mattress
Plus 2 free fresh pillows ($200 value). T&Cs apply
0% APR mattress financing
If paid in full within 6 months
10% off orders
Free platform base or pillow with any mattress purchase
Up to $189 value
Image: Layla Sleep