Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Bathroom cleaner buying guide
Tidy up one of the most important rooms of the house.
When buying an all-purpose bathroom cleaner, the most important factors to consider are the product’s effectiveness, cost, smell and environmental friendliness.
Compare some of the best bathroom cleaners
|Lysol Bleach Free Hydrogen Peroxide Bathroom Cleaner Spray||$12.72||Spray||Two 22-oz bottles||No||Buy now|
|Scrubbing Bubbles Foaming Bathroom Cleaner||$14.91||Foaming spray||Two 32-oz bottles||Yes||Buy now|
|Method Bathroom Cleaner||$3.99||Spray||28 oz||No||Buy now|
|Clorox Disinfecting Wipes||$10.59||Wipes||3 packs of 75 wipes||No||Buy now|
|Puracy Natural All Purpose Cleaner||$7.99||Spray||25 oz||No||Buy now|
|Kaboom Foam-Tastic Bathroom Cleaner with OxiClean||$29.01||Foam||Two 19-oz cans||No||Buy now|
What types of bathroom cleaners are available?
While there’s a wide range of products available specifically designed to clean toilets or showers, this guide is all about multi-purpose bathroom cleaners. These products can be used on surfaces like vanities, sinks, mirrors and tile, while some can also tackle cleaning jobs involving showers and toilets.
There are several types of bathroom cleaners to choose from:
- Sprays. The most commonly available option, these come in bottles with a nozzle and a trigger. They’re typically sprayed onto the surface you want to clean, left to sit for a specified period and then wiped or scrubbed away.
- Foams. Bathroom cleaning foams come in aerosol cans and can be sprayed on the affected area by pressing a button. It’s then left to sit for a while before you start wiping or scrubbing.
- Gels. Gels are a bit less common. They’re squeezed from the bottle directly onto the surface. If you use them to clean floors or walls, you may need to dilute them with water.
- Wipes. Designed to give your bathroom a quick and easy clean, disposable wipes are a convenient way to remove stains and disinfect surfaces.
How to compare bathroom cleaners
If you’re looking for an all-purpose cleaner to get your bathroom looking great, compare factors like:
- Cleaning performance. Does it actually work? This is the most important question to ask of any cleaning product. But short of buying a cleaner and trying it out for yourself, it’s a difficult question to answer. Before you buy, check out some independent online reviews from other customers who’ve used a product.
- Ease of use. Check the manufacturer’s instructions to get a better idea of how easy a product is to use. Can it be sprayed straight from the bottle, or does it need to be diluted first? How long will you need to leave it to work its magic? Is wiping or scrubbing required, and are multiple applications recommended for particularly tough stains? Instructions for use may vary depending on the surface you’re cleaning, so read the label carefully.
- Type of cleaning. If you’ve got a particular stain or area you want to target, consider a cleaner designed to tackle a specific task. For example, there are cleaners designed to remove mold, kill germs or tackle rust stains.
- Smell. This comes down to personal preference. If you can’t smell-test the product before you buy, look for a fragrance you’ve been able to tolerate in the past.
- Environmental friendliness. Is the product you’re considering free of any harmful or unnecessary chemicals? If you’re an eco-conscious cleaner, consider a natural, plant-based product. For a detailed breakdown of the ingredients used in a cleaner, check out the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS), which can usually be found on the manufacturer’s website.
- Price. Most products are priced anywhere between $2 and $10. Consider the size of the product to calculate the price per fluid ounce.
Bathroom cleaner safety tips
Before using any bathroom cleaner, check the label for instructions on how to safely use it to clean your bathroom. This will tell you how to apply the product, what safety gear you need to wear and what to do if the cleaning substance comes in contact with your skin or eyes.
It’s also essential to keep the bathroom cleaner out of reach of children or pets.
A good bathroom cleaning product can help you knock out your chores in less time and more effectively. Compare a few of the most popular products to find the best match for your personal cleaning style and budget.
How did we choose these products?
We conducted online research, factoring in third-party product reviews, and compared features like price, size, type and effectiveness.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
How to get makeup delivered same-day
Need a new makeup product in a hurry? There are a few retailers that offer same-day delivery, so you can primp with time to spare.
This viral makeup trick on TikTok involves bronzer — and a fork
Next thing you know, we’ll be blending foundation with a kitchen spatula.
Where to buy clear face masks online
Order transparent, accessible face masks with a clear panel online from these top stores — and see where you can get fast and sometimes free shipping.
Top 30+ neckties and bow ties made in the USA
Shop these brands that are dedicated to small-batch production. See our top picks of the best neckties and bow ties made here in the USA.
Best infrared thermometers
As businesses reopen following COVID-19-related shutdowns, choose the best non-contact infrared thermometer that fits your needs.
Where to buy isopropyl alcohol and rubbing alcohol online
Find in-stock isopropyl alcohol and rubbing alcohol online from these top retailers. See which stores near you might carry these items.
Where to buy disinfectant wipes online
Keep your home squeaky clean by stocking up on top-rated surface wipes from one of these retailers.
Where to buy bleach online
Looking to keep your home germ-free? We’ve rounded up a list of retailers that let you shop high-quality bleach products online.
Where to buy hand soap online
Now’s the time to thoroughly and frequently wash your hands. We’ve found top online retailers that stock different varieties.
Coronavirus car care tips
Give your car a deep clean and keep up with maintenance yourself during the coronavirus.
Ask an Expert