Bask Bank Savings review
The only bank account that rewards you with American Airlines AAdvantage Miles when you save.
finder.com’s rating: 4.6 / 5.0
Bask Bank is giving American Airlines users an alternative way to earn miles. Instead of having to spend money to earn rewards, you can earn miles by stashing money in a Bask Bank Savings account. There are no fees or minimum deposit requirements, but there’s only one way to withdraw funds.
Minimum deposit to open
Cassidy Horton is a writer for Finder, specializing in banking and kids’ debit cards. She’s been featured on Legal Zoom, MSN, and Consolidated Credit and has a Bachelor of Science in Public Relations and a Master of Business Administration from Georgia Southern University. When not writing, you can find her exploring the Pacific Northwest and watching endless reruns of The Office.
Expert reviewBask Bank Savings is best for American Airlines loyalists who want to earn AAdvantage miles on their savings balance. You’ll earn one mile for every dollar you save — an unusual perk considering you usually have to spend money with a credit card to earn rewards.
There’s no cap on the number of miles you can earn, so you can watch them build up and rollover into your AAdvantage account each month. The account has no fees or minimum balance requirements, so you’re free to use your funds as you wish.
But it doesn’t earn interest, which is typically a standard feature found among all savings accounts. Unless you regularly fly with American Airlines, you may earn more with a high-yield savings account that rewards you with cash.
How do I open a Bask Bank Savings account?
Follow these steps to open your Bask Bank account online:
- Go to the provider’s site and follow the steps to apply.
- From the official Bask Bank website, click Open An Account.
- Enter your email address and phone number, agree to the terms and conditions and click Next.
- Enter your personal information and click Next.
- Follow the prompts to verify your identity, create your login and fund your account.
Anyone can open a Bask Bank Savings account when they meet these requirements:
- At least 18 years old
- US citizen or resident
- Social Security number
- US residential address
You’ll need this information to complete your application:
- Full name
- Social Security Number
- Date of birth
- US residential address
- Government-issued photo ID number
- AAdvantage account number
What are the benefits of a Bask Bank Savings account?Bask Bank Savings is FDIC insured through Texas Capital Bank, and it offers these perks:
- Unlimited airline miles. You’ll get one airline mile for every dollar saved. Miles are deposited into your American Airlines AAdvantage account where they never expire.
- Signup bonus. Get 1,000 bonus miles when you open an account by December 31, 2020, and maintain a $5,000 minimum balance for at least 90 consecutive days. You must meet requirements within 120 days of account opening.
- Refer-a-friend rewards. Share your unique code with a friend and get $5,000 bonus miles when they open an account by September 30, 2020, and maintain a $10,000 minimum balance for 90 days by December 31, 2020.
- No minimum balance requirements. You can open this account with as little as $0, but be sure to fund it within 60 days or else Bask Bank will close it.
- No fees. Bask Bank is completely free to open and maintain. There are no associated fees with this account.
How does earning airline miles work with Bask Bank?
You earn one AAdvantage mile for every $1 you deposit into your Bask Bank account. If you deposit $10,000 into your account, you’ll have 10,000 miles at the end of the year.
Advantage miles are calculated daily and deposited into your linked AAdvantage account monthly.
How many AAdvantage miles will I earn each month with Bask Bank?
The number of miles you earn will vary based on your account balance and the number of days in the month. Use this math equation to calculate your miles:
(Account balance / 365) * days in the month
If you have $10,000 in your account in January, you’d earn 850 miles because there are 31 days in the month ($10,000 / 365 * 31).
If you had $10,000 in February, you’d earn 767 miles because there are only 28 days in the month ($10,000 / 365 * 28).
If your balance stays at $10,000 for the entire year, you’ll have accumulated 10,000 miles in 12 months.
What should I look out for?
As with most savings accounts, this one doesn’t come with an ATM card and you’ll risk having your account closed if you make more than six outgoing transactions a month. It also has these drawbacks:
- Doesn’t earn interest. The Bask Bank account earns airline miles instead of interest. If you’re not an avid American Airlines traveler, you’ll earn more rewards with a regular high-yield savings account.
- Only one way to withdraw funds. There are several ways to deposit money, but the only way to withdraw it is by transferring it to another bank account first.
- No joint accounts. You can’t open this savings account with a friend or family member.
- Some limitations. Any airline miles you earn through Bask Bank don’t count toward elite or AAdvantage Million Miler status qualifications.
If you’re not interested in earning American Airline miles, compare your options to find a savings account that’s right for you.
Compare Bask Bank with other savings accounts.
Use this interactive table to see how Bask Bank Savings compares to other accounts. Sort the table by APY or minimum deposit to open to find the right account for you.
How do I connect my American Airlines AAdvantage account to Bask Bank?
When you set up your Bask Bank account, you’ll be asked to enter your AAdvantage number. Once it’s linked, miles will automatically deposit into your AAdvantage account each month.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Here are all the ways you can deposit and withdraw money with Bask Bank:
- Direct deposit
- Wire transfer
- Mobile check deposit
- Transfer from another bank
- Transfer to another bank
Frequently asked questions
Savings account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top savings accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: interest rates, monthly fees, minimum deposits, customer service and account features.