- Get this card if… you love shopping at Barnes & Noble.
- Pick something else if…you want general rewards like cash back or travel miles.
- Recommended good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
|Product Name||Barnes & Noble Mastercard®|
|APR (Annual Percentage Rate) for Purchases||16.24% to 27.24% variable|
|Introductory Purchase APR|
|Balance Transfer APR||16.24% to 27.24% variable|
|Introductory Balance Transfer APR||0% for the first fifteen billing cycles (then 16.24% to 27.24% variable)|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash Advance Rate||27.49% variable|
|Foreign Transaction Fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Cash Advance Fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Interest Free Period||Up to 23 days|
|Late Payment Fee||$37|
|Returned Payment Fee||$37|
|Additional Cardholder Fee||$0|
|Minimum Age||18 years of age|
|Rewards||Earn x points on all Barnes & Noble purchases. Earn 2x points at restaurants and 1x points for all other purchases (excluding Barnes & Noble purchases).|
|Base Rewards||1% cash back|
|Rewards Points Expiration||Never|
The basicsBarnes & Noble Mastercard® issued by Barclaycard, rewards booklovers for what they do best: shopping for books. You’ll get 5% cash back on all purchases with Barnes & Noble Mastercard®, with your cash applied to your monthly statement.
Earn points for Barnes & Noble gift cards, with 2% for restaurants and 1% for everything else. It’s a very strong rewards rate tailor-made for book lovers and foodies.
What can I do with my points?
You can use your points for one thing: earning Barnes & Noble gift cards. Whenever you earn 2,500 points, the card automatically cashes in your points and sends you a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card. Your points are worth 1%, standard in the credit card industry.
Is the card worth getting?
The card is an enticing pick with a $0 annual fee. Before you get it, however, consider how much you value B&N perks. You’ll enjoy the card if you regularly shop at B&N or want to save your points for a spending spree at the retailer. But if you prefer to buy used books or support local retailers, you likely won’t get the most out of this card.
You’ll get a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card for signing up. You can find better bonuses with other cards like the no-annual-fee U.S. Pride® BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Visa® Card (it offers a $150 bounty).
The card’s other selling point — a free 12-month B&N membership after you spend $7,500 in an account year. However, it’s nothing to go crazy over, as a B&N membership costs only $25 a year.
Bottom line: If you often find yourself buying from Barnes & Noble Mastercard®, the 5% cash back option is this card’s best selling point. Look into cash back cards like the solid U.S. Pride® BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Visa® Card or the superb Citi® Double Cash Card.
- SIGNUP BONUS: $25 gift card. When you make your first purchase, you’ll earn a $25 Barnes & Noble Gift card.
- CASH BACK: 5% back on Barnes & Noble Mastercard® purchases. Whenever you use your card at Barnes & Noble Mastercard® — whether in store or online — you’ll receive 5% back. You’ll see this as a credit on your card statement.
POINTS: Earn points on all purchases, and more at restaurants. You’ll earn 1x points on everything you buy, excluding Barnes & Noble Mastercard® purchases.
When you use your card at restaurants, you’ll earn x points (except at Barnes & Noble Cafés).
What can I do with my points?If you like simple points redemption, you might like the Barnes & Noble Mastercard®. After you earn 2,500 points, Barclaycard will cash in your points automatically and send you a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card.
You’ll also like …
- 12 months of Barnes & Noble membership. Each year you spend at least $7,500 on your card by your account anniversary, you’ll earn a 12-month Barnes & Noble membership.
- Check your FICO score for free. Get complimentary access to your credit score and be alerted when your score changes.
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR. Depending on your credit, you could have a purchase and balance transfer APR as high as 16.24% or 27.24% variable.
- Higher APR for cash advances. Cash advances come with a 27.49% variable APR.
- Other fees. The card has balance transfer fees, cash advance fees and foreign transaction fees.
- Penalty fees. Late and returned payments can hurt: You’ll pay up to $37.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Barnes & Noble Mastercard®, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. Residents of Puerto Rico and US territories are not eligible.
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information
- Residential status
- Annual income and employment information
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Barnes & Noble Mastercard® if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
How to apply for the Barnes & Noble Mastercard®
1. Go to the Barclaycard website and click Apply Now.
2. Complete the application with details like your name, contact information, employment information and Social Security number. Then click Apply to submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, you’ll receive an immediate decision on your application. In rare cases, you may need to wait a few days to a few weeks until Barclaycard manually approves your application.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your bill online at the Barclaycard website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclaycard customer service at 866-928-8598.
If you love buying books, you might not find a better pick than the Barnes & Noble Mastercard®. But, if you want a rewards credit card for a store you spend more often at — compare different retail cards.
Frequently asked questions