Barnes & Noble Mastercard® review
An excellent card for book lovers.
- Get this card if… you love shopping at Barnes & Noble.
- Pick something else if…you want general rewards like cash back or travel miles.
- Recommended good to excellent credit score of 670 to 850.
Up to 5%
13.99% to 23.99%
Purchase APR (variable)
|Product Name||Barnes & Noble Mastercard®|
|Purchase APR||13.99% to 23.99% variable|
|Balance transfer APR||0% intro for the first fifteen billing cycles (then 13.99% to 23.99% variable)|
|Balance transfer fee||$5 or 3% of the transaction, whichever is greater|
|Cash advance rate||25.24% variable|
|Cash advance fee||$10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater|
|Foreign transaction fee||3% of the transaction value|
|Interest free period||Up to 23 days|
|Late payment fee||Up to $37|
|Returned payment fee||Up to $37|
|Additional cardholder fee||$0|
Kevin Joey Chen is a credit cards writer whose work and analysis have appeared on CNN, U.S. News & World Report, The Dallas Morning News, Lifehacker and CreditCards.com. He's passionate about helping you get your finances in order and expertly navigate the cutting-edge financial tools available -- including credit cards, apps and budgeting software.
Earn points for Barnes & Noble gift cards, with 2% for restaurants and 1% for everything else. It’s a very strong rewards rate tailor-made for book lovers and foodies.
Before you get it, however, consider how much you value B&N perks. One of the card’s main selling points — a free 12-month B&N membership after you spend $7,500 in an account year. However, it’s nothing to go crazy over, as a B&N membership costs only $25 a year.
You’ll enjoy the card if you regularly shop at B&N or want to save your points for a spending spree at the retailer. But if you prefer to buy used books or support local retailers, you likely won’t get the most out of this card.
- SIGNUP BONUS: $25 gift card. When you make your first purchase, you’ll earn a $25 Barnes & Noble Gift card.
- CASH BACK: 5% back on Barnes & Noble Mastercard® purchases. Whenever you use your card at Barnes & Noble Mastercard® — whether in store or online — you’ll receive 5% back. You’ll see this as a credit on your card statement.
- POINTS: Earn points on all purchases, and more at restaurants. You’ll earn 1x points on everything you buy, excluding Barnes & Noble Mastercard® purchases.
When you use your card at restaurants, you’ll earn x points (except at Barnes & Noble Cafés).
What can I do with my points?
If you like simple points redemption, you might like the Barnes & Noble Mastercard®. After you earn 2,500 points, Barclaycard will cash in your points automatically and send you a $25 Barnes & Noble gift card.
You’ll also like …
- 12 months of Barnes & Noble membership. Each year you spend at least $7,500 on your card by your account anniversary, you’ll earn a 12-month Barnes & Noble membership.
- Check your FICO score for free. Get complimentary access to your credit score and be alerted when your score changes.
Compare store credit cards
What to watch out for
- Potentially high APR. Depending on your credit, you could have a purchase and balance transfer APR as high as 13.99% or 23.99% variable.
- Higher APR for cash advances. Cash advances come with a 25.24% variable APR.
- Other fees. The card has balance transfer fees, cash advance fees and foreign transaction fees.
- Penalty fees. Late and returned payments can hurt: You’ll pay up to $37.
What should I know before I apply?
To apply for the Barnes & Noble Mastercard®, you must be at least 18 years old and a US resident. Residents of Puerto Rico and US territories are not eligible.
Information you’ll need
- Full name and contact information
- Residential status
- Annual income and employment information
- Social Security number, date of birth and mother’s maiden name
What credit score do I need?
You’ll have a better chance of approval for the Barnes & Noble Mastercard® if you apply with a good to excellent credit score of 670 or higher.
How to apply for the Barnes & Noble Mastercard®
- Go to the Barclaycard website and click Apply Now.
- Complete the application with details like your name, contact information, employment information and Social Security number. Then click Apply to submit your application.
How long will it take to be approved?
Typically, you’ll receive an immediate decision on your application. In rare cases, you may need to wait a few days to a few weeks until Barclaycard manually approves your application.
I got the card. Now what?
- Make timely payments. Pay your bill online at the Barclaycard website, where you can also enroll in autopay.
- Avoid interest. After the close of each billing cycle, you have a grace period of 23 days to pay your balance. If you do, you won’t pay interest on your purchases.
- Avoid fees. Late and returned payments come with hefty fees of up to $37. Balance transfers, cash advances and foreign transactions also come with fees.
- Customer service. If you have questions, contact Barclaycard customer service at 866-928-8598.
If you often find yourself buying from Barnes & Noble Mastercard®, the 5% cash back option is this card’s best selling point. However, other cash back cards like the solid U.S. Pride® BankAmericard Cash Rewards™ Visa® Card or the superb Citi® Double Cash Card can offer better value on your day-to-day spending.
Compare cashback credit cards to find one that best suits your purchasing needs.
Frequently asked questions