Compare other balance transfer credit cards
The Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard® isn’t a flashy product. Instead, it’s most attractive for its quiet, cost-saving features.
You’ll like the $0 annual fee and strong intro APR on balance transfers. But the card’s main draw is its low normal APR on all balances. Few other products beat the Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard® here. To further sweeten the pot, you’ll pay no fees on balance transfers you make after the first 45 days of your account opening, and you’ll incur low fees on cash advances.
Annual fee: None.
Take advantage of the card’s low normal APR and intro APR on balance transfers without paying an annual fee.
Intro APR: 0% on balance transfers for 15 months following your account opening, and 14.24% variable APR after that.
This is a strong intro APR for balance transfers. For your transfers to qualify for this rate, make them within the first 45 days of card membership.
Normal APR of 14.24% variable for purchases, balance transfers and cash advances.
Very few unsecured cards offer a lower normal APR. The Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard® may be a good option if you plan on carrying a balance for a long time.
You’ll also like …
No balance transfer fees for transfers that post to your account after the first 45 days of card membership.
This perk gives you an interesting decision. You can make a transfer within the first 45 days of your account opening and qualify for the intro APR, but you’ll need to pay transfer fees of $5 or 2% of the transaction, whichever is greater. Or you can make a transfer after the first 45 days, avoiding transfer fees but accruing interest immediately at a 14.24% variable APR.
No foreign transaction fees.
The Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard® is a great choice to bring on vacation, as you won’t pay fees when you use it abroad or on foreign websites.
You won’t be liable for unauthorized charges on your account. And you can check your FICO credit score for free.
Your card will have international chip-and-PIN capability, which means you can use it to make a purchase that requires a PIN.
Relatively low cash advance fee.
For most cards, you’ll pay the greater of a flat or percentage fee for a cash advance. For example, you might pay $10 or 5% of the cash advance amount, whichever is greater.
The Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard® comes with a fee of just $3 per cash advance.
What to watch out for
Intro APR applies only to balance transfers you make within the first 45 days of card membership
Balance transfers you make after this time will accrue interest at a 14.24% variable APR.
$0 balance transfer fee applies only to transfers you make after the first 45 days of card membership.
If you make a balance transfer within the first 45 days, you’ll pay a fee of $5 or 2% of the transaction, whichever is greater.
Late and returned-payment fees.
For each late or returned payment, you’ll pay a fee of up to $28. If you live in Iowa, you’ll pay a fee of up to $15.
How does a balance transfer work with this card?
- Apply for the card. You can make a balance transfer when you open your card. You’ll need the account number of your existing balance. You’ll also need information like your employment details, Social Security number and income.
Don’t worry if you don’t want to make a balance transfer immediately; you can request one later.
- Understand your balance transfer details.
|If your balance transfer posts within the first 45 days of your account opening…||If your balance transfer posts after the first 45 days of your account opening…|
|It qualifies for this APR…||0% intro APR for the first 15 months — after that, 14.24% variable APR||14.24% variable|
|And you’ll pay this fee…||$5 or 2% of the transaction, whichever is greater||$0|
- Keep track of your balance transfer. Consider making a plan to pay off your transfer within a definite time period. If your transfer qualifies for the intro APR, you might find it advantageous to pay off the balance before your 15 months are up. Otherwise, your balance will accrue interest at the normal rate after your intro APR ends. If your transfer doesn’t qualify for the intro APR, it might be even more important to pay off your balance within a certain time. A 14.24% variable APR, while low, can sneak up on you over time and land you with high debt.
What should I know before I apply?
- You’re at least 18 years old.
- You’re a resident of the United States (with the exception of Puerto Rico and US territories).
You’ll need this information to apply:
- Your name, residential status and time spent at your current address.
- Your phone number and email address.
- Your occupation and income details.
- Your date of birth, Social Security number and mother’s maiden name.
- For balance transfers, relevant credit card numbers along with corresponding balance transfer amounts.
What do customers say about the Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard®?
Happy cardholders cite the card’s low interest rates and cash advance fees. However, some unhappy cardholders say Barclays lowered their credit limits without warning.
Barclays Bank has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) since 2001, and it has an A+ rating with the agency. Though it has over 1,100 customer complaints as of this writing, many of them are reported by the BBB as answered or resolved. Even if you have an issue with your card, you’ll likely be able to get assistance by contacting the bank.
How to apply for the Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard®
- Go to provider site and click Apply now.
- Complete the application form with details like your name, address, residence status, employment information, total annual income and contact information.
- Review your application and submit it.
How long will it take to get my Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard®?
Conditional approval is automated on the Barclays website, so you may receive an immediate decision. If there are issues with your application, wait up to two weeks to hear back.
If you’re approved, look for your card and any welcome materials in the mail within seven to 10 business days.
I got the card. Now what?
- Register an account at the Barclays website. You can check your account balance, sign up for auto pay and make payments.
- Avoid interest. If you have a zero balance, any purchases you make during a billing cycle will have a grace period on interest once the cycle closes. This means you have at least 23 days after the close of the billing cycle to pay off your purchases without accruing interest. This doesn’t apply to balance transfers or cash advances.
- Avoid fees. You’ll pay a fee for any balance transfer that posts to your account within the first 45 days. You’ll also pay fees for cash advances, late payments and returned payments.
- Contact customer service. If you need help with your account, call Barclays support at 877-523-0478.
The Barclaycard Ring® Mastercard® is most useful if you want a low normal APR on all balances. But it also comes with some muted features like a $0 annual fee, strong intro APR on balance transfers, $0 fees on select transfers and low cash advance fees.
You may find that none of the cards fit what you’re looking for, and that’s alright. Take your time and compare other credit cards to find the best one that suits your needs.
Frequently asked questions