Barclaycard car rental coverage can reimburse you if your rental car is damaged or stolen. It can also pay for eligible loss-of-use and towing charges. Not all of the provider’s cards offer coverage, however, so check with Barclaycard about your card’s policy.
Does Barclaycard come with car rental insurance?
As of February 2021, the only Barclaycard credit card that lists an auto rental collision damage waiver on its application page is the AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard®.
However, a Barclaycard rep we spoke to said the provider includes car rental insurance with many of its cards. The benefit depends on the card, though, and by the network — that is, Visa or Mastercard.
If you have a Barclaycard Visa and Mastercard that includes car rental coverage, what’s here should apply. However, the policy for your specific card may differ, so carefully read your card’s guide to benefits to make sure.
Where is Barclaycard car rental insurance available?
Visa coverage is available in the United States and most foreign countries. It is not valid in Israel, Jamaica, the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland.
Mastercard coverage applies worldwide.
Coverage from either network isn’t valid when it violates the laws of the country in which you’re renting your vehicle.
Barclaycard car rental insurance: What it covers
For both Barclaycard Visa and Mastercard, you’re covered for:
- Physical damage to the rental vehicle.
- Theft of the rental vehicle.
- Eligible loss-of-use charges.
- Reasonable towing charges.
A rental car company may impose loss-of-use charges for the revenue it loses while a vehicle is out of service. Both Visa and Mastercard cover you for valid loss-of-use costs. This is a useful feature, as not all card providers offer the same coverage.
How much am I covered for?
For Visa cards, you’re covered up to the actual cash value of the originally manufactured vehicle.
Your Mastercard policy covers you for the lesser of:
- The actual repair amount for the vehicle.
- The wholesale market value of the vehicle, not including salvage and depreciation.
- The purchase invoice from the rental agency, not including salvage and depreciation.
- A total $50,000.
What does Barclaycard car rental insurance not cover?
With a Visa, you aren’t covered for expensive, exotic or antique vehicles. Vans are excluded as well. Select BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Lincoln and Cadillac models are covered, however.
With a Mastercard, you aren’t covered for:
- Full-size vans on truck chassis
- Cargo vans
- Off-road vehicles and other recreational vehicles
- Sport utility trucks
- Motorbikes, motorcycles and vehicles with fewer than four wheels
- Rental vehicles with MSRPs of more than $50,000
Your coverage also doesn’t apply in specific instances — for example, if you violate the rental agreement or your personal effects are stolen.
Is Barclaycard car rental insurance primary or secondary?
The policy for a Visa card states:
- In your country of residence, coverage is secondary. You must make a claim with other forms of valid insurance before claiming through your Visa card.
- Outside your country of residence, coverage is primary. You can claim directly with your Visa benefit administrator in the event of an incident.
Other things to know based on your personal auto insurance:
- If you don’t have personal auto insurance, coverage is primary. You’re covered for theft of or damage to your rental vehicle, as well as valid loss-of-use and towing charges.
- If you do have personal auto insurance, your Visa policy will reimburse you for your deductible. It also covers valid loss-of-use and towing charges that your primary insurance won’t.
Is Mastercard coverage primary or secondary?
In most cases, Mastercard coverage is secondary. You must make claims through providers in a specific order:
- Primary insurance policy for you or the authorized driver.
- Collision damage waiver from the rental car company.
- Other forms of deductible insurance.
- Coverage through your Mastercard policy.
While you must make a claim through your primary coverage first, there’s good news: Your Mastercard policy will pay for your deductible.
Mastercard coverage is primary in two instances:
- You don’t have other insurance.
- Your insurance doesn’t cover you outside the United States.
How to use Barclaycard car rental insurance
To activate your Barclaycard coverage for a Visa or Mastercard, pay the total for your rental with your card and decline coverage from the rental company.
If the representative at the counter says you must purchase coverage, call your benefit administrator:
- Visa. 800-348-8472 in the US or collect at 804-673-1164 if you’re traveling internationally
- Mastercard. 800-627-8372
How to make a claim for Barclaycard car rental insurance
Immediately after an incident, call your Visa or Mastercard benefit administrator. A representative will provide next steps and tell you which documentation you must submit for your claim.
Information you’ll need for a claim through your Barclaycard Visa
Immediately after the incident, collect information about the accident and repairs:
- Police report, if possible
- Copy of the claim document and accident report form from the rental company
- Copy of the initial and final rental agreements
- Itemized repair bill and a copy of the repair estimate
- Two photos of the damaged vehicle, if possible
For your claim, you must also submit:
- Auto rental collision damage waiver claim form, completed and signed
- Copy of your receipt or monthly billing statement showing that you made the entire rental purchase on your Barclaycard Visa
- Statement from your insurance provider or a provider of another form of reimbursement showing the costs you must pay and what you’ve already paid toward the claim
- Copy of the declarations page of your primary insurance policy
Submit required information to your representative within 365 days of the incident.
Information you’ll need for a claim through your Barclaycard Mastercard
Submit personal, financial and accident information for a claim through your Barclaycard Mastercard:
- Receipt of the vehicle rental
- Statement showing you paid for the entire rental on your card
- Copy of the rental agreement, front and back
- Copy of your driver’s license, front and back
- Copy of the declarations page of your primary insurance or other form of coverage
- Police report for the incident
- Itemized repair estimate
- Copy of the promotion or discount from the rental company, if applicable
- Copy of the vehicle’s fleet utilization log from the rental agency, if you’re claiming loss-of-use charges
- Other information the benefit administrator asks of you
Submit the required information to your representative within 180 days of the incident.
Compare Barclaycard credit cards with car rental insurance
Who gets to use Barclaycard car rental insurance?
You and drivers you list on the rental agreement are covered by Barclaycard car rental insurance, whether you have a Visa or Mastercard.
According to the provider, many Barclaycard credit cards offer car rental coverage.
At this time, only the AAdvantage® Aviator® Red World Elite Mastercard® lists car rental insurance on its application page. However, other Barclaycard products offer coverage, and you can confirm your card’s benefit by contacting the provider.
If a Barclaycard product isn’t what you’re looking for, compare other credit cards that insure car rentals.
Frequently asked questions
Do other providers offer car rental insurance?
Yes. You’ll find car rental insurance with Chase, Amex and many other providers. Others, such as Discover, have eliminated the benefit from their cards.
What’s a good provider for primary car rental insurance?
Consider Chase, which offers primary coverage with cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card and Chase Sapphire Reserve®.
Does Barclaycard offer other forms of travel protection?
Yes. With its World Elite Mastercard and World Mastercard products, Barclaycard may offer coverage such as baggage delay insurance, trip delay insurance and travel accident insurance.
More guides on Finder
Can I add my Barclaycard credit card to Apple Pay?
Pay at participating locations with your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch.
Barclays credit card app review
Monitor your transactions, make payments or track your FICO score with your smartphone.
How to increase your Barclaycard credit limit
Earn a credit limit increase with responsible credit card use.
Compare Barclaycard credit cards with no annual fee
Earn rewards or make balance transfers with a long 0% intro APR period.
How to cancel a Barclaycard credit card
Can you cancel your Barclaycard credit card online?
Barclaycard credit cards with no foreign transaction fee
There are many options, including cobranded travel cards.
Barclaycard balance transfer credit cards
Consider Barclaycard for a travel card with an intro APR.
Barclaycard travel insurance: which credit cards have it?
Barclaycard offers great travel insurance perks for those with good credit.
How to prequalify for Barclaycard credit cards
Pre-qualification is a helpful tool when applying for a credit card. Unfortunately, it’s not possible for American Barclaycard applicants — but you may have other options.
Ask an Expert