We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
Compare US banks with live chat
Bypass the 1-800 and get help via instant message.
Live chat makes it easier than ever to get connected with a representative from your financial institution. But keep in mind that sensitive financial matters may be better handled over the phone or in person.
Compare accounts from banks with live chat
What is live chat?
Live chat allows you to receive real time assistance through instant messaging via a bank’s website or app. Ask questions about products, get financial advice, and inquire about your personal accounts without talking on the phone. It’s like texting, but hosted by the bank — and there’s a representative on the other end.
Live chat hours
These financial institutions have customer service representatives on standby to offer real time assistance.
|Financial institution||Live chat hours||How to live chat?|
|Capital One||24/7||Log into your online account and click Support.|
|PNC||Weekdays 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Weekends 8 a.m.-5 p.m. ET||Log into your account online or through the app and click Chat Online Now.|
|Bank of America||24/7||Go to the BoA website, click Contact Us, choose a topic, and Bank of America will show its support options.|
|Citibank||Weekdays 9 a.m.- 8 p.m. ET||Log into your account and click Contact Us. Choose a topic and Citibank will show its support options.|
|Discover||Weekdays 9 a.m.- 5 p.m. ET||Log into your online account, click Help, then choose Message an Agent.|
|American Express||24/7||Log into your online account and click Help.|
|Charles Schwab||Weekdays 9:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. ET||Go to the Charles Schwab website and hit Chat.|
|Synchrony||Weekdays 11:00 a.m.-7 p.m. ET||Go to Synchrony’s website and click CONTACT US, then Chat with us.|
|HSBC Direct||24/7||Go to HSBC’s website, click Contact HSBC, and hit Live Chat Now.|
Pros and cons of using live chat
Live chat’s convenience is alluring, but it isn’t the best route for every question. Here’s what to consider before reaching out:
Benefits of live chat
- Receive answers in real-time. Live chat offers general advice on the spot, so you don’t need to wait for a response (or spend time listening to elevator music while on hold).
- Multitask online. Minimize the chat window or open another tab while the representative’s response is pending.
- Save time on simple solves. Sometimes all it takes is a yes-or-no answer. Live chat lets you get in and out of the conversation without hassle.
Drawbacks of live chat
- Limited scope. Due to security, there is a limited amount of information that live chat operators can provide about your account. So you may end up rerouted to a phone call anyways.
- Scripted responses. Whether your counterpart is a bot or live representative, they’ll likely be following a script throughout the conversation. Getting help at a branch location may prove more personable.
- Possible wait time. Response time depends on whether or not a representative is available. So you could still end up waiting in-queue.
Live chat can be a handy solve, though more complex problems may still require a phone call or brick-and-mortar visit. Access to customer service is just one aspect of choosing a bank that’ll best meet your needs.
Live chat FAQs
Ask an Expert