Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Explore Sallie Mae Bank’s suite of bank accounts
These savings products feature competitive interest rates and no monthly maintenance fees.
Although you may associate Sallie Mae with student loans, it also offers four high-yield savings products with no monthly maintenance fees. But there’s only one branch location and no checking account options.
What banking products does Sallie Mae Bank offer?
Sallie Mae has a small selection of savings accounts and CDs for individuals, along with personal loans, student loans, credit cards and college planning resources.
- SmartyPig. Save for short-term and long-term goals with this free, interest-bearing savings account.
- High-yield savings account. Earn 0.35% APY with no monthly fees or minimum account balance.
- Money market account. Earn 0.4% APY with no monthly fees or minimum account balance.
- CD. Sallie Mae Bank’s certificates of deposits offer flexible terms up to 0.45% APY, but require a $2,500 opening balance.
- Student loans. Sallie Mae has more than eight options for undergraduates, law students and more.
- Personal loans. Consolidate credit card debt and more with invitation-only financing.
- Credit cards. Choose between three cashback credit card options with no annual fees.
- College planning. Use these tools to build a customized plan for college.
Compare Sallie Mae Bank accounts
How does Sallie Mae compare to other banks or services?
Sallie Mae is an online bank with an impressive range of high yield, low fee savings accounts and CDs, in addition to student loans, personal loans, credit cards and college planning resources. You won’t find any checking accounts or bank branches with Sallie Mae, but its high APYs may make up for it.
- Competitive interest rates. Sallie Mae Bank’s interest rates are higher than traditional accounts, earning you more money faster.
- No account minimum. You’ll earn the advertised APY on every penny you deposit into your savings account.
- No monthly maintenance fees. Sallie Mae Bank doesn’t charge fees to open or maintain accounts.
- Miscellaneous fees. Sallie Mae Bank charges fees for check orders, excessive transactions, stop payments, returned checks and more.
- Potential holds. Funds deposited into new Sallie Mae bank accounts are held for 10 days before they become available.
- No international wire transfers. You can’t send or receive international wire transfers with Sallie Mae Bank.
- Competitive rates. Sallie Mae’s CD rates are consistently high across all terms, which means you’ll earn a competitive rate no matter how long you lock your money away.
- Several term options. You have the flexibility to choose a short or long-term CD with terms starting out at six months and maxing out at six years.
- High opening deposit. You need at least $2,500 to open a CD with Sallie Mae Bank.
- Early withdrawal penalties. As with most CDs, you’ll pay a penalty if you need to access your money early.
- Connected accounts. Monitor your money in one place when you have a savings account, CD, student loan or credit card with Sallie Mae Bank.
- Straightforward accounts. Sallie Mae Bank has fuss-free accounts with no fees or minimum balance requirements to earn interest.
- No checking accounts. Sallie Mae Bank’s personal banking products are limited to four savings products.
- One branch location. Its one branch location in Salt Lake City, Utah, isn’t ideal for those who want to bank in-person.
- Limited support. Outside of Sallie Mae Bank’s one branch location, customer service is limited to phone support only. There’s no live chat or email customer support option.
Sallie Mae Bank’s customer service
Contact Sallie Mae Bank weekdays from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET by:
- Phone (SmartyPig accounts): 877-751-6884
- Phone (other savings accounts): 877-346-2756
- Branch location:
- Sallie Mae Bank
- 175 S West Temple, Ste.600
- Salt Lake City, UT 84101
Compare with other leading savings accounts
If you prefer to keep your checking and savings with one bank, compare popular accounts from other institutions:
Bottom lineSallie Mae Bank accounts come with several perks, including competitive interest rates and no monthly fees. But if you’re looking for a bank that offers checking accounts and in-person support, compare other options before you decide.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
Sallie Mae CD review
Sallie Mae CDs offer decent rates and a wide variety of term options.
Sallie Mae High-Yield Savings account review
A fee-free online savings account with a 2.1% APY.
Sallie Mae Money Market Account review
It comes with personal checks, mobile banking and a respectable APY, but transfers and support are both limited.