We value our editorial independence, basing our comparison results, content and reviews on objective analysis without bias. But we may receive compensation when you click links on our site. Learn more about how we make money from our partners.
State Employees Credit Union’s suite of bank accounts
This credit union offers a variety of products, but has limited membership requirements.
Eligible members can enjoy a host of products offered by State Employees Credit Union (SECU) at a relatively low cost. While it provides services to members in other states, SECU only has branches in North Carolina. Membership criteria is also fairly limited, with little option to qualify if you’re not a North Carolina state worker or in the immediate family of a current SECU member.
What banking products does SECU offer?
Why should I open an account at SECU?
- Keep all your accounts in one place. With the extensive range of products offered by SECU, you could potentially keep all of your accounts together.
- Low fees for a good cause. Some accounts don’t require a maintenance fee, and those that do have a low fee of $1 that goes to the SECU Foundation.
- Mobile banking. Check your balances, use bill-pay services, get alerts and more.
- 24/7 member support. Call SECU’s 27/7 automated hotline to check your last 10 transactions, move money between your SECU accounts, check payment dates for your SECU loans and more.
What should I look out for?
- Limited availability. Eligibility is restricted to North Carolina state employees, federal employees assigned to work for North Carolina departments, direct family members and those sharing housing with a current SECU member.
What’s the SECU Foundation?
The SECU Foundation promotes local community development in education, housing, healthcare and human services projects.
Compare with leading bank and credit union accounts
SECU customer service
There are several ways to contact SECU’s customer service:
- Branch locations. Get in-person help at a North Carolina branch weekdays from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., except on designated holidays.
- Phone. Contact 24/7 member services at 888-732-8562, or use the Ask SECU voice response system by calling 800-275-7328.
- Email. Contact customer service at email@example.com.
- Secure message. Send a message using your member account online.
- Mail. Reach SECU by mail at P.O. Box 26807 Raleigh, NC 27611.
- Lost or stolen cards and fraud reports. Call 888-732-8562 24/7, or visit your local branch.
You have the potential to manage all of your finances in one place with SECU’s extensive line of products and services. However, you’ll need to meet the eligibility requirements, and you may not find the yields to be as high as what other banks offer.