Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Huntington National banking products: Savings, Checking, and CDs
A Midwest-based provider with excellent customer service but low interest rates.
Updated . What changed?
Huntington Bank is a full-service provider with personal and business products in addition to one-to-one private wealth management assistance.
Huntington Bank personal accounts
All of Huntington Bank’s personal accounts come with a 24-hour grace period for overdrafts, waiving the $37.50 fee if you bring the account balance back up to at least $5 within 24 hours. It also provides standard tools for online banking — mobile deposit, online bill pay, and the ability to set up email and text alerts.
Each of Huntington’s checking accounts comes with a debit card. Other account-specific features include:
- Asterisk-Free Checking. It’s free to open and maintain, and there’s no minimum balance or monthly maintenance fees. However, it doesn’t earn interest and you’ll be charged $3 each time you use a non-Huntington ATM.
- Huntington 5 Checking. Earn a low 0.02% interest on your balance. You can use five non-Huntington ATMs for free each statement period. There’s no minimum account deposit, but you’ll have to pay $5 in monthly maintenance fees unless you maintain a balance of at least $5,000.
- Huntington 25 checking. This account offers a slightly higher 0.25% interest, and you can use non-Huntington ATMs as frequently as you please with no extra fees. Checkbooks are free, however, there’s a $25 monthly maintenance fee that can only be waived if you keep a balance of $25,000.
Other Huntington Bank fees
Sometimes, the details can make or break your experience. Here’s what to keep in mind with Huntington’s extra fees:
|Dormant account||$5/month if an account is inactive for 12 months unless you have a balance of at least $50 in combined accounts|
|Foreign currency||$8/ each foreign currency order or deposit|
|Expedited delivery||$25 to get your debit or ATM card expedited|
|Internal wire transfers||$10 to wire from one Huntington account to another|
|Incoming domestic wire transfers||$15/transfer|
|Outgoing domestic wire transfers||$25/transfer|
|Incoming international wire transfers||$15/transfer|
|Outgoing international wire transfers||$75/transfer|
|Image statement||$2/each image statement of cleared checks|
It offers three types of personal savings accounts, which you can link to a Huntington savings account for automatic deposits. Choose between:
- Huntington Premier Savings. Huntington’s most basic savings account earns a low interest of 0.02% APY. You can waive the $4 monthly maintenance fee by maintaining an average daily balance of $300, or by opening an Asterisk Free checking account. Plus, link it to the Asterisk Free account for free overdraft protection transfers.
- Huntington Relationship Savings. Interest rates increase depending on which tier of checking account you’ve got; Huntington 25 Checking customers can expect 0.20%, but folks with no Huntington checking account will only earn at a rate of 0.02%. Waive the $10 monthly fee by opening a Huntington 5 or 25 checking account or by maintaining a balance of $2,500.
- Huntington Relationship MMA. Earn interest with APYs that top out at 0.1% for those with a Huntington private client relationship, depending on which tier of checking account you’ve got. However, account balances with less than $25,000 won’t earn interest at all. The $25 monthly maintenance fee can be waived with an average daily balance of at least $25,000, or by opening a Huntington 5 or 25 checking account alongside your savings.
- Huntington CDs. It offers a number of term lengths from 3 months to 5 years, but CD rates for those are on the low side.
Huntington Bank business accounts
Huntington Bank serves thousands of small businesses, and was recognized in 2018 as the nation’s top SBA 7(a) loan originator by volume. Its products come with access to The Hub, an online resource with tools to help you manage revenue.
Business checking accounts
Options for business checking accounts include:
- Business Checking 100. Your limited to 100 transactions monthly with no fees, and you’re charged $0.30 for each deposit you make after reaching the $5,000 threshold each statement period. However you won’t pay a maintenance fee. If you want to test it out first, take advantage of the 120 day free trial.
- Unlimited Business Checking. Enjoy unlimited monthly transactions and a waived $20 monthly fee for the remainder of 2020 due the coronavirus pandemic. A $0.30 deposit fee for every $100 kicks in after you’ve deposited $10,000 in a statement period. Choose two of Huntington Bank’s five bonus services to support your business.
- Unlimited Plus Business Checking. There’s typically a $40 monthly maintenance fee that’s waived when you keep a balance of at least $50,000 in combined relationship accounts. But it’s waived for the rest of 2020 due to coronavirus. You can make $25,000 in deposits each month before being charged $0.30 per transaction. Get access to two of its bonus services for free.
- Business Analyzed Checking. Meant for larger companies with complex banking needs, Business Analyzed Checking tailors the account to your specific needs. Earnings credits can offset transaction fees, though you’ll be charged $0.20 with each $100 deposit after depositing $10,000 per month.
Business savings accounts
Put your company’s hard-earned cash to work with a savings account. Options from Huntington National Bank include:
- Business Premier Plus Savings. Meant for businesses with an average savings balance of less than $10,000. Companies can waive the $4 monthly maintenance fee by maintaining an average balance of $300.
- Business Premier Plus Money Market Account. Companies with more than $10,000 in savings can waive the $10 maintenance fee by maintaining that $10,000 each month. Work with a banker to see APY rates, and earn higher interest by opening a checking account in tandem.
- Business CD. Its CDs are fee-free, and interest rates are unique to each business and can be determined by meeting with a banker face-to-face.
- Credit cards. The Voice Credit Card comes with no extra fees and an extra day grace period if you forget to make a payment. Choose between two perks: either a points-based reward system or a lower APR. Use it internationally with no extra fees.
- Loans. Take out a mortgage, auto or personal loan with Huntington Bank.
- Investments. Work with a representative to plan for the future, grow your wealth and manage your assets.
- Insurance. Cover your home, health, life or motor vehicle with Huntington’s personal insurance options.
Compare Huntington Bank accounts
How does Huntington National compare to other banks or services?
Huntington Bank was founded in 1866 in Columbus, Ohio where it still operates today. Its brick-and-mortar locations are mostly limited to Midwestern states like Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, .but it has over 1,700 branded ATM locations.
It ranks 26th on the FDA’s list of Top 50 Bank Holding Companies by Domestic Deposits, beneath Ally Financial but above Discover. While its physical presence is less expansive than big-box competitors like Wells Fargo or Bank of America, it claims to focus on building deep relationships with each client.
- Perks for opening multiple accounts. Avoid maintenance fees by opening a checking and savings account and gain access to higher APYs by maintaining a high-tier checking account.
- Strong business options. Huntington Bank offers four attractive business checking accounts. The Checking 100 account is free and the Unlimited Business Checking account comes with unlimited transactions.
- ATM rebates. The Huntington 5 Checking and Huntington 25 Checking accounts come with ATM reimbursements.
- Online applications. You must open business bank accounts in person at a local branch.
- Expensive ATM fees. If you choose an account that doesn’t have ATM rebates, expect to pay $3 each time you need to use a non-network ATM in addition to potential operator fees.
- Low APYs. The Huntington 5 Checking account earns interest, but the rate is only 0.02%.
- Avoidable monthly fees. Most of its savings accounts have monthly fees, but you can avoid them when you maintain a certain account balance or have a linked Huntington checking account.
- Several account options. Huntington offers three personal savings accounts and two business savings accounts that cover a range of banking needs.
- Serves as overdraft protection. Link your savings account to your Huntington Checking account and money will automatically transfer if your balance dips below $0. Plus, it’s free.
- Low APYs. Its savings account tiers favor high balances, and Huntington’s APYs in general aren’t competitive for the industry.
- Other fees. Expect to pay $2 for excessive transactions, $3 for non-network ATM withdrawals and $75 for outgoing international wire transfers.
- High opening deposits. Some savings accounts have opening deposit requirements as high as $2,500 or $25,000 for money market accounts.
- Wide term ranges. Standard CD terms range from one month to six years while Jumbo CD terms range from one week to five years.
- No monthly fees. You won’t pay anything to open or maintain a CD with .
- Daily compound interest. Your money grows faster with this compounding method because you earn interest today on yesterday’s interest.
- Low APYs. All of its CD rates are much lower than rates offered by other banks.
- High opening deposits. Huntington requires a minimum $1,000 opening deposit on all its CDs.
- Can’t open online. You’ll have to visit a local branch if you want to open a CD with Huntington.
- Industry reputation. It’s been in business for over 100 years and is well-regarded as a financially stable institution that offers an excellent experience for customers.
- Range of products. If you’re in the Midwest and are looking for a one-on-one, personalized experience, Huntington’s full-service financial products means you can keep mortgages, personal loans and even life insurance under one roof.
- 24/7 customer service. Even though it’s a regional bank, you can reach a customer service representative seven days a week, anytime you need help.
- Lack of national presence. Its ATMs and branch locations are only available in eight states, mainly across the Midwest.
- Complicated fee structure. Huntington may not be best for individuals in search of a fee-free experience. Similar to most traditional banks, its complicated fee structure means you’ll have to vigilantly maintain certain balances to waive excess fees.
- Few ATMs and branches. This bank only has about 1,800 ATMs and less than 1,000 branches.
Huntington National Bank reviews and complaints
Huntington Bank has been accredited by the Better Business Bureau since 1921, where it has a shining A+ rating — a reflection of how thoroughly it replies to customer complaints. There are over 2,700 complaints lodged against it on the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, but nearly all have received responses in a timely manner. Most Huntington branch locations have been rated “satisfactory” or “outstanding.”
In February 2019 it was awarded five national Greenwich Excellence Awards, including for Overall Satisfaction and Cash Management Overall Satisfaction. Huntington is regarded throughout the industry as excellent, as it ranked in the top five on the annual American Banker survey of bank reputations.
Huntington customer service
Get assistance with your Huntington accounts via:
- Phone: Call 800-480-2265. General customer service reps are available 24/7.
- Online chat: Go to Huntington’s website and click Ask Us in the lower right hand corner. You instant message a customer service rep in real time.
- Social media: Send a general query via Facebook messenger or Twitter direct messaging.
Compare Huntington Bank to the competition
If Huntington Bank doesn’t meet your banking needs, consider accounts from these popular institutions:
Huntington Bank rewards clients that want to open more than one account within its personal banking umbrella, as fees can get steep when you don’t play by the rules. If you’re looking for fewer fees or a bank with a larger national presence, shop around for bank accounts to see what else is out there.
Frequently asked questions.
More guides on Finder
Huntington Business Checking 100 review
Huntington Business Checking 100 account offers 100 in-person transactions per month with no maintenance fees.
Huntington CD review
A decent interest rate on the 7-month promotional CD, but few positives otherwise.
Huntington Unlimited Business Checking review
A mid-tier business checking account that comes with unlimited transactions and your choice of one of five bonus features.
Huntington Unlimited Plus Business Checking review
The bank’s top-tier business account with your choice of two bonus features and unlimited transactions.
Huntington Relationship Savings account review
Earn up to 0.08% APY if you meet the deposit requirements
Huntington 5 Checking account review
Earns interest and offers an overdraft grace period but only for residents of the Midwest.
Huntington Relationship Money Market account review
Earn interest on any account balance over $25,000 but only for Midwest residents.
Huntington Asterisk-Free Checking account review
A basic checking account with no maintenance fees, but limited availability.