Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Associated Bank products: Savings, Checking, and CDs
Offers a range of products and 24/7 customer service — but interest rates are shockingly low.
What banking products does Associated Bank offer?
- Associated Access Checking account. Take advantage of no monthly fees or minimum balances, but you can’t write checks.
- Associated Balanced Checking account. A basic account with check-writing privileges and an ATM card, but it requires a $100 opening deposit.
- Associated Choice Checking account. Comes with an Associated Bank World Debit Mastercard, free checks and no overdraft fee on charges up to $50, but you’ll need $10,000 in combined deposits to avoid the $25 monthly fee.
- Associated Savings account. Associated Bank waives its non-network ATM fee twice monthly with this basic savings account.
- Zero Interest Savings account. As the name implies, this savings account doesn’t earn any interest and has a $5 waivable monthly fee.
- Associated Select Money Market Account. Offers tiered interest rates, but you’ll need to maintain a $1,000 balance to avoid the $16 monthly fee.
- Associated Bank Special Term CD. Requires a $5,000 opening deposit and terms range from seven to 61 months.
- Associated Bank Regular Term CD. Offers three- to 60-month terms and requires a $1,000 deposit.
- Associated Bank Fixed-Rate CD. This account has a 12-month term and the option to add additional deposits at any time.
- HSA Basics account. Those with a high-deductible healthcare plan can save even more with this tax-advantaged account.
- Basic Business Checking account. Best for small businesses, this account features 100 free transactions and allows for $3,000 in monthly deposits.
- Business Checking account. Ideal for growing businesses, this account offers 250 free transactions and allows for $5,000 in monthly deposits.
- Business Max Checking account. For large businesses that need flexibility, this account has a $35 waivable monthly fee and includes 500 free transactions and $10,000 in monthly deposits.
- Business Savings account. Requires a $100 opening deposit and includes 75 free monthly transactions.
- Business Money Market account. Includes 75 free monthly transactions and has a $100 minimum opening deposit.
- Business Money Market Manager account. Keep your balance within a certain range and you’ll earn a higher APY than you would with a Business Money Market account.
- Business Money Market Advantage account. Earn a higher APY when you combine this account with a qualified personal or business checking account.
- Small Business Money Market account. Earn a special interest rate when you have a Business or Business Max checking account.
- Fixed-Rate CD. Terms range from three to 60 months and the minimum deposit is $1,000.
- Fixed-Rate Mini-Jumbo CD. Has a 30-day term and requires a $40,000 deposit.
- Add-on CD. You’ll need $100,000 to open this account, but you can make additional deposits at any time.
- Jumbo CD. The minimum opening deposit is $100,000 and terms range from one to 60 months.
- Mortgages. Offers Jumbo, FHA, VA, Rural House, fixed-rate and adjustable-rate loans.
- Lines of credit. Take out a business line or home equity line of credit.
- Credit cards. Choose between four business and seven personal credit cards, including the Associated Bank American Express Cash Rewards card.
- Insurance. Protect your loved ones with life, home, small business, long-term care and vehicle insurance.
- IRAs. Choose from a starter, fixed-rate or fixed-rate add-on IRA.
How does Associated Bank compare to other banks and services?Associated Bank was founded in 1970 and manages nearly $34 billion in assets. It’s ranked as one of the top 50 publicly traded US bank holding companies and is headquartered in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It has over 230 bank branches and hundreds of ATMs spread throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota.
- Overdraft protection. Link your checking account to an Associated Bank savings account and money will automatically transfer if your balance dips below $0.
- Large ATM network. Use hundreds of Associated Bank ATMs and more than 30,000 MoneyPass ATMs nationwide for free.
- Several account options. Associated Bank has six checking accounts for personal and business use — giving you plenty of options to choose from.
- High minimum deposits. You’ll need at least $100 to open an Associated Balanced or Choice Checking account and $25 to open an Access Checking account.
- Monthly fees. Business checking fees range from $15 to $35 a month depending on the account type. While there’s one free personal checking account, the rest have monthly fees ranging from $9 to $25.
- Doesn’t reimburse operator ATM fees. Associated Bank waives its $2.50 fee on some of its accounts when you use a non-network ATM, but you’ll still pay operator fees.
- Low opening deposits for savings accounts. You only need $25 to open most Associated Bank savings accounts.
- Free ATM withdrawals. Use your ATM card to access money for free at any Associated Bank or MoneyPass ATM nationwide. But you’ll pay $2.50 if you use ATMs outside these networks.
- Low APYs. The highest rate offered by Associated Bank is 0.20% APY for a relationship savings account — and that’s with a $1 million minimum balance. Most accounts earn a measly 0.01%, which is shockingly low.
- Monthly fees. Every savings and money market account has an associated monthly fee. Although these can be waived when you meet certain balance requirements.
- High deposit requirement for money market. If you want to open a money market account, you’ll need at least $1,000 to get started.
- Flexible terms. Choose from 3, 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 48 or 60 month terms.
- Accessible interest. If your CD balance is $5,000 or more, you can elect to have your CD interest transferred to another Associated Bank account or issued as a check at any time.
- Add-on CD option. If you can’t swing the $1,000 opening deposit for a regular CD, Associated Bank offers add-on CDs with a 12-month term and a low $100 opening deposit. Plus, you make unlimited deposits at any time.
- $1,000 opening deposit. All of Associated Bank‘s regular CDs require a minimum $1,000 opening deposit.
- Low APYs. CD rates range from 0.05% to 0.20% depending on the term length. With rates this low, you’ll be better off keeping your money in a high-yield savings account at another bank.
- Early withdrawal penalties. You’ll lose 181 days of simple interest for add-on CDs and 90 to 365 days of interest for regular CDs if you need to withdraw your money early.
- Variety. Associated Bank is a one-stop-shop for consumers and businesses looking to open a range of checking and savings accounts.
- 24/7 customer service. Chat with a customer support representative at any time by phone.
- Zelle. Send or receive money from family and friends for free through Zelle.
- Regional bank. Associated Bank doesn’t have any branch locations outside of Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Low APYs. This bank has low APYs across the board, so it may not be a good fit for those looking to grow their money fast with a competitive interest rate.
Compare Associated Bank to the competition
Associated Bank customer service
Contact Associated Bank customer service 24/7 by:
- Calling 800-236-8866.
- Visiting a branch location near you.
- Sending a secure message through the account portal.
Bottom lineAssociated Bank offers many appealing features such as 24/7 customer service and a large ATM network. But its APYs are astonishingly low. If you’re looking for higher yields, explore other banking options.
Frequently asked questions
More guides on Finder
NOW REWARDS Mastercard® review
Earn flat rewards on all of your purchases.
DasherDirect prepaid card review
Dashers can get instant access to earnings, plus 2% cash back at gas stations with this prepaid card.
Revolut Junior card review
Current Revolut users can get a free prepaid card for their kids between the ages of 12 and 17.
Keeper Tax review
Maximize your tax savings by having this 1099 expense tracker categorize business purchases for you.
First Foundation Bank Online Savings Account review
No monthly fees and a competitive APY from this high-yield savings account.
Netspend Small Business Prepaid card review
This business account supports in-person payments and lets you manage employee spending.
Daylight Visa prepaid card review
The first LGBTQ-focused digital banking platform launches with this prepaid card.
OakStone Platinum Secured Mastercard® review
Build credit with this secured credit card.
Can I get a 5% interest savings account in 2021?
You can find a 5% interest savings account in 2021. But find out if it’s worth it here.
Douugh banking review
The Douugh banking app uses AI to optimize your finances, but it lacks key features.