Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our opinions or reviews. Learn how we make money.
Associated Bank products: Savings, Checking, and CDs
Offers a range of products and 24/7 customer service — but interest rates are shockingly low.
What banking products does Associated Bank offer?
How does Associated Bank compare to other banks and services?Associated Bank was founded in 1970 and manages nearly $34 billion in assets. It’s ranked as one of the top 50 publicly traded US bank holding companies and is headquartered in Green Bay, Wisconsin. It has over 230 bank branches and hundreds of ATMs spread throughout Wisconsin, Illinois and Minnesota.
- Overdraft protection. Link your checking account to an Associated Bank savings account and money will automatically transfer if your balance dips below $0.
- Large ATM network. Use hundreds of Associated Bank ATMs and more than 30,000 MoneyPass ATMs nationwide for free.
- Several account options. Associated Bank has six checking accounts for personal and business use — giving you plenty of options to choose from.
- High minimum deposits. You’ll need at least $100 to open an Associated Balanced or Choice Checking account and $25 to open an Access Checking account.
- Monthly fees. Business checking fees range from $15 to $35 a month depending on the account type. While there’s one free personal checking account, the rest have monthly fees ranging from $9 to $25.
- Doesn’t reimburse operator ATM fees. Associated Bank waives its $2.50 fee on some of its accounts when you use a non-network ATM, but you’ll still pay operator fees.
- Low opening deposits for savings accounts. You only need $25 to open most Associated Bank savings accounts.
- Free ATM withdrawals. Use your ATM card to access money for free at any Associated Bank or MoneyPass ATM nationwide. But you’ll pay $2.50 if you use ATMs outside these networks.
- Low APYs. The highest rate offered by Associated Bank is 0.20% APY for a relationship savings account — and that’s with a $1 million minimum balance. Most accounts earn a measly 0.01%, which is shockingly low.
- Monthly fees. Every savings and money market account has an associated monthly fee. Although these can be waived when you meet certain balance requirements.
- High deposit requirement for money market. If you want to open a money market account, you’ll need at least $1,000 to get started.
- Flexible terms. Choose from 3, 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 48 or 60 month terms.
- Accessible interest. If your CD balance is $5,000 or more, you can elect to have your CD interest transferred to another Associated Bank account or issued as a check at any time.
- Add-on CD option. If you can’t swing the $1,000 opening deposit for a regular CD, Associated Bank offers add-on CDs with a 12-month term and a low $100 opening deposit. Plus, you make unlimited deposits at any time.
- $1,000 opening deposit. All of Associated Bank‘s regular CDs require a minimum $1,000 opening deposit.
- Low APYs. CD rates range from 0.05% to 0.20% depending on the term length. With rates this low, you’ll be better off keeping your money in a high-yield savings account at another bank.
- Early withdrawal penalties. You’ll lose 181 days of simple interest for add-on CDs and 90 to 365 days of interest for regular CDs if you need to withdraw your money early.
- Variety. Associated Bank is a one-stop-shop for consumers and businesses looking to open a range of checking and savings accounts.
- 24/7 customer service. Chat with a customer support representative at any time by phone.
- Zelle. Send or receive money from family and friends for free through Zelle.
- Regional bank. Associated Bank doesn’t have any branch locations outside of Illinois, Minnesota and Wisconsin.
- Low APYs. This bank has low APYs across the board, so it may not be a good fit for those looking to grow their money fast with a competitive interest rate.
Compare Associated Bank to the competition
Associated Bank customer service
Contact Associated Bank customer service 24/7 by:
- Calling 800-236-8866.
- Visiting a branch location near you.
- Sending a secure message through the account portal.
Bottom lineAssociated Bank offers many appealing features such as 24/7 customer service and a large ATM network. But its APYs are astonishingly low. If you’re looking for higher yields, explore other banking options.
Frequently asked questions
Read more on this topic
42 Black-owned banks by state
Now is the time to support Black-owned institutions so they can continue fighting systemic racism and working to close the wealth gap that exists in America.
How to open a business bank account
Opening a business bank account is easier than you think. Explore our guide on how to do it.
What is zero-based budgeting?
Dave Ramsey swears by this budgeting method, but can it really help you avoid overspending?
How to get cheaper rent
Use these tips to lower your current rent — or save up for a new place if your landlord won’t budge.
Second stimulus check: Will I qualify?
A second wave of stimulus checks could be making their way to US taxpayers.
Best banks and credit unions in Texas
Explore our top five picks for best banks in the Lone Star State.
Best banks and credit unions in New York
Check out the five best places to store your money in the Empire State.
Stimulus check: How much you’ll get and when
7 tips on smart ways you can think about using your stimulus check. Description on our main page that summarizes what the article is about.
Best banks and credit unions in California
We’ve rounded up the best five places to store your money as a California resident.
What is an ACH transfer?
What to expect when you transfer money to a bank account through an ACH transfer