Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Back to school tips
Make your child's transition from summer fun to learning mode a breeze.
Once summer’s over, start the school year right with these tips for a smooth transition back to studies.
Tips for parents with younger children heading back to school
Young children may need more support and encouragement than older children. Here are some tips you can follow to keep everything running smoothly.
- Schedule any checkups. Get dental cleanings and doctor visits out of the way before classes start. This way, you won’t use up sick days that lead to make-up work and missed lessons.
- Prepare for separation anxiety. It’s common for children to get upset about going to school. If possible, try to introduce your child to the new teacher before the first day of school to break the ice.
- Arrange a playdate with classmates. Arranging a playdate with some of your child’s schoolmates before school starts will help your child make friends and ease first-day jitters.
- Encourage extracurricular activities. Make it a point to encourage your child to take part in extracurricular activities. Having a sport or hobby to look forward to can get your child excited about starting school again.
Tips for going back to school
- Buy school supplies early. Avoid a last-minute rush by buying all your school supplies and back-to-school clothes early. Use our checklist to make sure that you’ve got everything covered.
- Reestablish routines. It can take a week or so for children to get used to the new routine. Start waking up early before it’s time to catch the bus so your kids are used to rising early.
- Set an alarm. The last thing you want is to be late on the first day. So remember to set the alarm clock so everyone wakes up on time.
- When in doubt, write it down. Keep a list on the fridge to make sure you don’t forget anything essential. The morning of, you can take a quick peek and check everything off your list.
Back to School Shopping:
Customizable White Marble Notebook
Moana Single Zipper Pencil Case
Office 365 Home
Apple MacBook Air - 128GB
Back to school coupons and savings
More guides on Finder
Save Debit Invest card review
Save invests $1 on your behalf for every $1 you spend. After one year, you keep the returns.
Teeth whitening guide + top picks
Learn about the main types of teeth whitening procedures, including how to find the right one for your needs.
SmartyPig Savings account review
With no fees and a 0.7% APY, Smartypig is among today’s best savings accounts.
How to start a cleaning business
From making a business plan and getting insurance to marketing and setting your prices — here’s how to start your own cleaning business.
The best debit cards for kids for 2021
Support your child’s financial knowledge and teach the important real-life money skills in a safe and controlled way with a kids’ debit card.
Should you sell on Poshmark or Tradesy?
Compare pros and cons of selling on Poshmark vs. Tradesy to help you get the most for your secondhand clothing, shoes and accessories.
Help your child learn to spend and save wisely with a virtual, COPPA-compliant debit card.
6 Bridgerton fashion trends to shop right now
From fascinators to dramatic sleeves and corsets, these Regency-era looks inspired by your new fave Netflix series doth slap.
Best credit cards for rewards in 2021
Take advantage of miles, points and perks with a card that best fits your lifestyle.
Best business credit cards for 2021
Here are our top picks for 2021.
Ask an Expert