Axos Bank Golden Checking review
Earn 0.2% APY for ages 55 and up.
finder.com’s rating: 5.0 / 5.0
Axos Bank’s Golden Checking is an interest-bearing account for people aged 55 and older. But the APY on this account is the lowest offered by Axos on its interest-bearing accounts, and it doesn’t include some of the more popular perks included in the bank’s other checking accounts.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Heather Petty is a writer at Finder specializing in banking, investments and insurance. She's a self-proclaimed word nerd who worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. Heather earned a bachelor’s degree in English from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Axos Bank advertises their Golden Checking account for anyone age 55 or older who wants to combine the perks of a checking and savings account in one. But while the free checks and low minimum deposit are solid benefits, this account’s 0.2% APY is well below the average for online banks, and even Axos’ Rewards Checking account offers a better rate.
How do I open an Axos Bank Golden Checking account?
- Open a Golden Checking account in six steps:
- Click Apply now.
- From the Axos website, click Open an Account.
- Select whether or not you want to add a savings account.
- Create an account and click Start Application.
- Photo capture your ID or enter your information manually, then click Save & Continue.
- Enter your funding details and click Save & Continue.
- Review your details, read and accept the disclosures and submit the application.
You must meet the following requirements to open the account:
- At least 55 years or older
- US resident or citizen
- $50 opening minimum deposit
Have the following information ready before you apply:
- Social Security number
- Valid residential address
- Driver’s license or other state ID
What are the benefits of an Axos Bank Golden Checking account?
In addition to mobile banking tools, expect the following benefits:
- Free personal checks. This is the only Axos checking account that provides a free box of checks every six months.
- No monthly fees. You won’t pay a dime to maintain this account.
- No minimum balance requirement. You’ll earn interest no matter how much you have in the account.
- No overdraft fees. If you overdraft on your account, you won’t pay an insufficient funds fee.
Axos Bank’s ATM network and fees
Axos has a network of 91,000 free ATMs across the country, with a locator map on its website to find the ATMs nearest you. If you use an out-of-network ATM, you’ll get up to $8 a month in reimbursed ATM fees.
Axos Bank is also a member of the Green Dot network, which allows you to deposit cash at retail locations. But you’ll pay a $4.95 fee for this service.
What should I look out for?
Keep in mind the following drawbacks before you apply:
- No bank branches. Axos is an online-only bank with no physical branches to visit when things go wrong.
- Age requirement. You must be age 55 or older to qualify for this account.
- Low APY. The 0.2% APY offered by Axos is well below the industry average for online interest-bearing checking accounts.
- Limited ATM fee reimbursement. Axos only reimburses up to $8 a month in out-of-network ATM fees, despite offering unlimited reimbursements on their other accounts.
So, if you want an account with a higher interest rate, compare your options before you apply.
Axos account discrepancies
The account details listed on Axos’ website are inconsistent with the account disclosure documents. The site lists a $50 opening deposit, while the disclosure lists it for $250. We spoke with a representative who confirmed that the disclosures have not been updated and $50 is the correct amount. You’ll want to double check account details before you apply and accept the terms.
Compare with other checking accounts
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
You can access your money in several ways.
- ATM. Use an ATM to make deposits or withdraw funds for free. Domestic out-of-network ATM fees are reimbursed up to $8 a month.
- Checks. You have unlimited checkwriting privileges.
- Mobile deposit. Use your phone to deposit checks.
- Wire transfer. Incoming wire transfers are free, but outgoing transfers are $35 for domestic and $45 for international wires.
- ACH transfer. Transfer money between your account and an external bank over the phone or online for free.
- Green Dot Network. Deposit cash through a Green Dot retailer. But you’ll pay $4.95 per deposit.
What other checking options does Axos Bank offer?
In addition to Golden Checking, Axos offers a variety of other personal checking accounts:
- Essential checking. A standard checking account with no monthly fees, early direct deposit access and unlimited ATM fee reimbursements.
- Rewards checking. Earn up to 1.25% APY with no minimum balance requirement, no overdraft or maintenance fees and unlimited ATM fee reimbursements. But to get the APY, you must set up direct deposits and have 15 debit card transactions a month.
- First checking. Designed for teens between the ages of 13 and 17. Teens earn 0.25% APY, no monthly maintenance or overdraft fees and up to $12 a month in out-of-network ATM fee reimbursements.
- Cashback checking. Offers up to 1% cashback on your signature-based retail transactions with no maintenance fees and unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursements.
How do I contact Axos Bank customer service?
Call 888-502-2967 any time of the week, excluding major holidays, or log in to your online account to send a secure message.
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.