Axos Bank CashBack Checking review
Earn 1% cashback on signature purchases, but only if you maintain the required minimum balance.
finder.com’s rating: 4.5 / 5.0
★★★★★Axos Bank’s Cashback checking account offers up to 1% cash back on debit card purchases that require a signature. But you’re limited to a list of stores and need to keep a $1,500 minimum daily balance to earn the full amount.
$0 per month
Minimum deposit to open
Heather Petty is a personal finance writer at Finder specializing in home loans, banking and insurance. After falling victim to a disreputable mortgage broker when buying her first home, she’s on a mission to help readers avoid similar experiences when managing their own finances. A self-proclaimed word nerd, her writing has been featured on MSN, Credit.com and MediaFeed.org, among others. Heather previously worked as a technical writer and editor for the casino systems industry and is an internationally published young adult mystery author. She holds a bachelor’s degree in English with a minor in journalism from the University of Nevada, Reno.
Expert reviewAxos Bank’s Cashback Checking is best for anyone who makes large purchases throughout the year. You’ll get 1% cashback on your purchases, no monthly fee and ATM reimbursements on domestic withdrawals.
But to earn the 1% cash back, you’ll need to maintain a $1,500 average daily balance. You also won’t earn cash back on certain purchases.
How do I open an Axos Bank CashBack Checking account?
Use the following steps to open a Cashback Checking account:
- Click Apply now.
- Click Open an account on the website.
- Select No thank you if you don’t want to add a savings account.
- Create an account login and click Start application.
- Photo capture your ID or enter your information manually. Click Save & continue.
- Enter funding details and click Save & continue.
- Review your details, read and accept the disclosures and submit the application.
You must meet the following requirements to open an account:
- At least 18 years old
- US resident or citizen
- $50 minimum deposit
Have the following information ready before you apply:
- Social Security number
- Valid residential address
- Driver’s license or state ID
Compare Axos Bank CashBack Checking to similar accounts
We gathered a quick comparison of similar accounts to help you decide if Axos Bank CashBack Checking is right for you. For more options, select “Compare accounts” to compare even more checking accounts.
Compare even more checking accounts
What are the benefits of an Axos Bank CashBack Checking account?
Enjoy mobile banking access, online bill pay and the following perks:
- No ATM fees. Enjoy free transactions at any Axos ATM and unlimited domestic ATM fee reimbursements.
- Cashback. If you maintain the proper balances, your signature-based transactions earn 1% cashback, up to $2,000 a month.
- No monthly fee. You won’t pay a monthly fee to maintain your account.
Axos Bank’s ATM network and fees
Axos has a network of 91,000 free ATMs across the country. Many of their accounts, including the Cashback checking account, come with unlimited ATM fee reimbursements on domestic ATMs.
Axos is a member of the Green Dot network, allowing you to deposit cash onto your debit card at retail locations for a fee.
What should I look out for?
Before you open an account, make sure you understand these potential drawbacks:
- Cashback balance requirement. Maintain a daily balance of $1,500 to earn 1% cashback on purchases. If your account falls below the minimum balance, you’ll only earn 0.5% cash back for the month.
- Taxable interest. The cash back you earn is considered taxable income, so you’ll receive a 1099-MISC form at the end of the year to file with your taxes.
- No bank branches. Axos is an online-only bank, so you won’t have the option to visit a branch for your banking needs.
- Store limits. You won’t earn cash back on purchases from grocery, discount and wholesale stores, financial institutions and the post office.
If you’re looking for a cashback rewards checking account with less requirements, you’ll want to keep looking. Consider our guide on the best rewards checking accounts to find one that’s best for you.
How do I deposit or withdraw my money?
Access your money in several ways:
- ATM. Use an ATM to make deposits or withdraw funds for free. Domestic out-of-network ATM fees are reimbursed.
- Checks. Write unlimited checks.
- Mobile deposit. Use your phone to deposit checks.
- Wire transfer. Incoming wire transfers are free, but outgoing transfers are $35 for a domestic wire and $45 for international.
- ACH transfer. Transfer money between banks over the phone or online for free.
- Green Dot Network. Allows you to deposit cash through a networked retailer for a $4.95 fee.
What other checking options does Axos Bank offer?
In addition to Cashback Checking, Axos offers the following personal checking accounts:
- Axos Bank Essential Checking. A standard checking account with no monthly fees, early direct deposit access and unlimited ATM fee reimbursements.
- Axos Bank Rewards Checking. Earn up to 1% APY with no minimum balance requirement, no overdraft or maintenance fees and unlimited ATM fee reimbursements.
- Axos Bank First Checking. Teens aged 13 to 17 earn 0.25% APY with this joint account. Pay no monthly maintenance or overdraft fees and get $12 a month in ATM fee reimbursements.
- Axos Bank Golden Checking. For people aged 55 and older, this account offers 0.20% APY on all balances, free personal checks, no maintenance fees and no minimum balance requirements.
How do I contact Axos Bank customer service?
You can contact Axos Bank in three ways:
- Call 888-502-2967 24/7, excluding holidays.
- Send a secure message through your online account.
- Send mail to: Axos Bank, PO Box 509127, San Diego, CA 92150
Checking account ratings
★★★★★ — Excellent
★★★★★ — Good
★★★★★ — Average
★★★★★ — Subpar
★★★★★ — Poor
We analyze top checking accounts and rate them one to five stars based on factors that are most important to you. These factors include: monthly fees, the ease at which monthly fees can be waived, the breadth of ATM access, ATM and overdraft fees, and customer service.