Axos Bank Business CDs review
Withdraw interest before maturity with no penalty, but APYs top out at 0.4%.
Axos Bank’s Business CDs offer the flexibility of multiple term lengths without maintenance fees, but the APYs aren’t competitive compared to those of some other savings products.
|Minimum deposit to open||$1,000|
|Early withdrawal penalty||45 days interest for terms of 3 to 5 months |
90 days interest for terms of 6 to 11 months
180 days interest for terms of 12 to 23 months
365 days interest for terms of 24 to 35 months
Amy Stoltenberg writes about lifestyle and money for Finder, researching the best options for shopping, banking, insurance and authentic travel experiences. After studying writing and fashion at Savannah College of Art and Design, she worked designing apparel at a corporate behemoth before opting for a career with unlimited travel time. When her laptop’s closed, she can be found wandering the streets looking for happy hour and hole-in-the-wall eateries.
At its core, Axos is designed to provide a hassle-free user experience. You can manage a business CD entirely online without stepping foot in a brick-and-mortar bank. Because of this, Axos Bank’s Business CDs are ideal for companies that manage their finances digitally. There are no fees and you can withdraw interest before maturity.
But its APY rates are low. Unless you want to lock in current rates, you’ll find better APYs on a high-yield savings account.
What are the benefits of an Axos Bank business CD?
Axos’ Business CDs are free to open and FDIC-insured to $250,000. They have a 10-day auto-renewal grace period when you can make additional deposits or withdraw funds without penalty. Other benefits include:
- Daily compound interest. Your money grows quicker with interest that accumulates Daily and is paid monthly.
- Flexible terms. Term lengths vary from three months to five years, with yearly increments in between.
- Withdraw interest before maturity. You can receive interest disbursements from an Axos business CD before the term length is up, with no penalty.
What should I look out for?
A business CD with Axos might be a good fit if you’re looking for a temporary way to grow cash, but you won’t have access to the money until the term is up. Also, consider these other potential pitfalls:
- Low APYs. Three-month CDs earn 0.15% APY while 60-month CDs only earn 0.4%. With rates this low, you could likely beat Axos’ business CD rates with a high-APY savings account.
- Minimum deposit of $1,000. In order to open an account, you’ll have to deposit at least a grand.
If you prefer an account with higher APYs, you’ll want to keep looking. As always, compare your options when looking for CDs.
Compare with other CD accounts
How do I open an Axos Bank Business CD?
You can apply to open an Axos business CD account online:
- Click Business in the top right corner.
- Hover over “Small Business Banking” and select Business CDs.
- Choose Open an account.
- Enter personal information such as your name, email and phone number, then fill out the brief form and click Start my application.
- You’ll be taken to the official application page, where you’ll indicate what type of business you’re setting up the account for.
- After submitting an application for a Business CD account, one of Axos Bank’s business banking relationship managers will be in touch with next steps.
To open an Axos business CD, you must meet these requirements:
- US-based entity
- Government-issued photo ID
- $1,000 minimum deposit
Opening a business CD is more involved than setting up a personal account. Have the following ready:
- Copies of owner’s driving license
- Owner’s Social Security numbers
- Funding information for your new account
The other documentation you’ll need varies by business type and includes:
Limited partnership (LP)or limited liability partnership (LLC)
- LP or LLP agreement
- All amendments
|Business Type||Required documents|
|Limited liability corporation (LLC)|
How do I cash in my Axos Business CD?
At the end of your term length, you’ll have 10 days to transfer funds electronically to another bank account. If you want access to the money as physical cash, you can move the funds into a checking or savings account. Then, withdraw funds by:
- Using your Axos debit card to make a withdrawal at any ATM in the US, free of charge, or…
- Sending yourself a wire transfer
What other savings products does Axos Bank offer businesses?
Other ways to stash your business’s cash with Axos include:
- Business Savings. Deposit $1,000 to open the account and earn an APY of 0.8% on all balances. Maintain at least $2,500 to waive the $5 monthly maintenance fee.
- Business Premium savings. Earns an APY of 1.06%, but requires an initial deposit of $25,000. There are no daily balance requirements and no monthly maintenance fees.
- Business money market. The APY tops out at 0.8% and you’ll have to deposit at least $1,000 to get started. There’s a $10 monthly maintenance fee unless you maintain a daily balance of $5,000.
- Nonprofit and Association Money Market. An account meant for nonprofits featuring a 0.8% APY and requiring a $1,000 initial deposit.