Auto-Owners home insurance review
Find a blend of coverage choices, simple discounts and top ratings from this regional company.
- Get a quote if you’re looking for a well-rounded company in terms of coverage and ratings.
- Pick something else if you prefer an online claims process.
- Many homeowners can apply, as long as you live in the service area.
AL, AZ, AR, CO, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, NC, ND, OH, PA, SC, SD, TN, UT, VA, WI
- Serves through independent agents
- Robust coverage and discounts
- Strong ratings for business, customer satisfaction and finances
- Over 100 years of experience
- No online quotes or claims
- Only available in 26 states
|New home discount discount||No|
|New homeowner discount||No|
|Home safety features discount||Yes|
|New policy discount||No|
|No claims discount||No|
|Other discounts||Pay in full|
|Personal property coverage||No|
|Valuable personal property||Yes|
|Identity theft coverage||Yes|
Sarah George is a writer at Finder who unravels complicated topics about insurance, business and finance. She's been wordsmithing for over three years after graduating with an English Education degree. You can usually find Sarah sipping hot tea and talking through movie plots in her downtime.
Auto-Owners combines a well-balanced mix of coverage, add-ons and discounts that many homeowners can qualify for along with top ratings all around for its finances and customer service. If you live in one of the states it serves, consider getting a quote from a local agent.
The company’s main downside is that it has fewer online services than many other home insurers. So you might go for another option if you’re not fond of communicating solely through a local agent.
What home insurance coverage does Auto-Owners offer?
Auto-Owners doesn’t leave out any of the necessities for protecting your home:
- Additional living expenses. Lifts the added costs of living elsewhere off your shoulders while your home is getting repaired for covered damage.
- Dwelling. Includes coverage for buildings or structures attached to your house, like a garage or deck.
- Medical payments to others. Kicks in for injuries that happen on your property, regardless of who’s at fault.
- Other structures. Protects buildings not attached to your house, like a shed.
- Personal belongings. Pads your personal items with coverage for theft, vandalism or storm damage.
- Personal liability. Protects against injuries or damage you cause anywhere in the world.
What add-ons can I choose with Auto-Owners home insurance?
Choose from an array of options to expand your home policy, such as:
- Equipment breakdowns. Safeguard appliances and electrical devices with this separate coverage.
- Guaranteed home replacement cost. Guarantees your home will get replaced even if it costs more than your policy limit.
- Homeowners Plus. Packages extra coverage in one convenient policy, including water leaks from appliances and food spoilage if the electricity goes out.
- Identity theft expense. Helps restore your financial standing with up to $15,000 in coverage.
- Ordinance or law coverage. Pays for your home to stay up to building code in your local area.
- Scheduled personal property. Protects your valuables and collectibles with separate coverage from the rest of your belongings.
- Water backup. Offers multiple policy limits for water damage from backed-up drains or sewers.
What home insurance discounts can I get?
Auto-Owners helps you save money in a variety of ways, appealing to homeowners with safety devices, multiple policies and agreeable claims or payment history. Grab one or more of these discounts to keep your premium low:
- Advance quote. Plan ahead on your policy’s start date to nab this simple discount.
- Automatic backup generator. Make life easier with insurance savings and a backup power source when needed.
- Mortgage-free. Get rewarded for paying off your home loan.
- Multipolicy. Shave some money off your premium by keeping more than one qualifying policy with Auto-Owners, like life insurance.
- No claims history. You might qualify for savings if you haven’t filed a major claim in a few years.
- Paid in full. Get a quick discount by paying your yearly premium in full.
- Paid on time. Pay your bill on time for 36 months to grab yet another reward.
- Paperless. Opt to pay your premium online, and for online statements and bills to get a green discount.
- Protective devices. Knock down your premium for having safety devices like a fire extinguisher, deadbolt locks or smoke detectors.
- Water shut-off system. You can take your premiums down a notch when your home has a water-leak detection system that automatically shuts off your entire water supply.
Pros and cons of Auto-Owners
- Personalized customer service. Auto-Owners sticks to a traditional and personal customer service approach, serving you through independent agents.
- Robust coverage and discounts. You’ll find everything from basic coverage to a slew of extras that will keep you protected in almost any event.
- Strong ratings. Auto-Owners lands near the top of the 2019 J.D. Power Home Insurance and Property Claims Satisfaction studies. It also holds an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and an A++ financial rating with AM Best, as of January 2020.
- Long-established company. With over 100 years in the market, the company holds an edge on long-standing experience.
- No online quotes. Due to its personalized customer service, Auto-Owners doesn’t offer quick quotes online.
- No online claims. The company encourages you to go through your local agent who knows you best. But it does have an after-hours phone line.
- Not available nationwide. Auto-Owners serves only 26 states, leaving the other half to insure their homes elsewhere.
How to apply for Auto-Owners home insurance
Auto-Owners offers insurance only through its independent agents. You can find an agent near you in a few simple steps:
- Go to the Auto-Owners website.
- Click the Find an agent button at the top of the page.
- Enter your ZIP code or share your location to search for an agent.
- Click on your preferred agent to reveal more details.
- Choose to call the agent, visit the address listed or click the Website link for additional information.
What info do I need to apply for home insurance with Auto-Owners?
You’ll likely need some basic information when applying through your Auto-Owners agent:
- Date of birth
- Phone number
- Estimated home value
- Year and type of construction
- Claims history
- Coverage needed
- Payment information