Finder is committed to editorial independence. While we receive compensation when you click links to partners, they do not influence our content.
Compare home and auto insurance bundles
Save up to 30% by combining car and home insurance with the same company
Updated . What changed?
Most of the time, you can get steep savings and convenience from packaging up these top insurance needs. But there are instances when bundling may not work for you, like when you could save more with separate policies.
What's in this guide?
- How much can I save by bundling auto and home insurance?
- Best home and auto insurance companies for bundling
- What other companies offer auto and home insurance bundles?
- Compare home and auto insurance bundles.
- Pros and cons of bundling auto and home insurance
- How does a bundling discount work with insurance partners?
- How do I sign up for a home and auto insurance bundle?
- Bottom line
- Frequently asked questions about car and home bundles
How much can I save by bundling auto and home insurance?
You can typically save up to 30% off car insurance and up to 20% off home insurance by bundling home and auto. However, the exact savings depends on the insurance company.
Best home and auto insurance companies for bundling
If you’re looking for the best blend of savings for bundling home and auto insurance, low overall rates and helpful customer service, start comparing quotes with these companies:
- Best coverage: Progressive: Geico car insurance
Best overall: Amica
Best overall: Amica
New car protection
Up to 30% off. You could save as much as 30% off your premiums by combining home and auto insurance under this one company.
A host of options. You're bound to get your insurance needs covered with a variety of discounts, SR-22s for car insurance and high dwelling coverage for your home.
Dividends. One benefit of working with this mutual company is the potential dividend payouts at the end of your policy's term.
|States served||Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming|
|Pay schedule||6 months, monthly|
|Claims methods||online, email, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
Highest bundling discounts: American Family
New car protection
Savings. American Family knocks nearly 30% off your car insurance and another 20% off home insurance for bundling the two together.
Many safe driver opportunities. Whittle your premiums down further through the company's telematics programs, claims-free discounts, defensive driving courses or young driver program.
Local agents. Get the personal touch of a local agent helping you through every step of your car and home policy needs.
|States served||Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin|
|Pay schedule||12 months, monthly, custom|
|Claims methods||online, phone|
|New car protection||Yes|
Best discounts off already low rates: Geico
New car protection
Low average rates. Geico offers some of the lowest premiums available for a wide number of drivers and homeowners alike.
Easy car insurance claims. The company streamlines its claims process with online filing, and your claims adjuster can walk you through your car's repairs step by step.
Matches you with the best home insurance partner. Geico uses your customer profile to match you with the right home insurance company for your needs.
|States served||All 50 states|
|Pay schedule||12 months, 6 months, custom|
|Claims methods||Online, Phone, Agent|
|New car protection||Yes|
How we picked companies with the best home and auto bundles
To find the best balance of coverage, savings and customer support, we looked at insurance companies that balanced a high bundling discount and low standard premiums. Then, we considered companies with the highest Finder star ratings and factored in each company’s customer ratings from the Better Business Bureau and Trustpilot.
What other companies offer auto and home insurance bundles?
While you might start with the best companies available, you might compare other companies with steep bundling discounts too. Those may include:
|Provider||Partners||Auto and home bundle discount|
|Allstate||Castle Key||Up to 25%|
|Amica||N/A||Up to 30%|
|American Family||N/A||29% for car, 20% for home|
|Elephant||Homesite||6% to 9%|
|Farmers||Foremost||Up to 10%|
|Geico||AIG, American Modern, Arrowhead, Bay City Underwriters, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance, Cabrillo, California Fair Plan, Chubb, FedNat, First Insurance Company of Hawaii, Foremost, Hawaiian Insurance and Guaranty Company, Heritage, Homeowners of America, Homesite, Interboro Insurance, Island Insurance, Lemonade, Liberty Mutual, Narrangansett Bay, National General, Privilege Underwriters, RLI Insurance, SageSure Insurance Managers, Security First, Stillwater Insurance, TAPCO Underwriters, The Hartford, Travelers, UPC Insurance, Universal Insurance Company of North America, Universal Property & Casualty, Universal Risk Advisors, Wellington Risk Insurance Agency||Up to 10%|
|Progressive||All Risks, LTD, American Modern, American Strategic, Assurant, First American, Foremost, Homesite, IDS, National General, Nationwide, Occidental NC, QBE||More than 5%|
|Nationwide||N/A||Average $710 savings|
Compare home and auto insurance bundles.
Pros and cons of bundling auto and home insurance
Getting both home and auto insurance with the same provider can have many benefits. But consider a few situations that could lead you to buy separate policies instead.
- Save big. Many insurers offer high discounts for getting these two policies together — some as high as 40%.
- Get bonus savings across policies. You could get a discount on both policies combined, upping your total savings.
- Pay one bill. Pay for both policies more easily in one place.
- You can update your policies in one place. Need to make changes to your account? Update both types of insurance at once.
- You might get better rates. Providers may consider homeowners less risky for car insurance because of their increased responsibility, which could mean better decisions behind the wheel.
- You pay a single deductible. Some insurers, like Esurance, offer a single deductible on a covered event that involves both your car and your home, such as a house fire that destroys your garage.
- You might save more separately. A discounted bundle could still total more than getting policies with two different providers.
- You won’t get specialized coverage. You might have specific needs, such as a classic car or add-ons not offered by one provider.
- The insurer might not accept luxury cars. A standard insurer might not cover the value of your luxury ride, excluding provisions for agreed value or original parts coverage.
Yes, many insurance companies offer a bundle for car and renters policies in the same way homeowners get this discount.
How does a bundling discount work with insurance partners?
Some insurers don’t offer multiple types of insurance directly. Instead, they partner with other companies to give their customers more options.
For example, Geico offers car insurance directly and also offers renters insurance through its partner company, Assurant. You’ll get a bundling discount on both renters and car insurance if you’re a Geico customer.
Providers sometimes allow you to bundle home and auto with a partner company if they don’t provide both policies or if one company owns another. How you apply for and manage those policies depends on the company. Some keep your account information in one spot, while others require separate accounts but still offer a discount.
How do I sign up for a home and auto insurance bundle?
You can bundle your car or motorcycle insurance and home insurance needs when applying for these policies together. For most providers, you simply:
- Start a quote online or by phone.
- Enter your personal information and coverage needs. Make sure to select coverage for both home and auto.
- Enter details about your car and home, then receive your quote.
- Fill in payment information and start your new policies.
What do I need to apply?
To get started with your bundled insurance, you’ll need a few key pieces of information:
- Home address, email and phone number
- Your car’s make and model or VIN
- Driving record for all drivers on the policy
- Annual mileage
- Home value estimate, including major items within the home
- Type of coverage needed, limits and deductible amounts
- Bank account, credit or debit card number
Can I add a new policy to an existing policy?
Maybe your current provider is offering a new type of insurance or partnering with another insurer to offer bundling. To add to your existing policy:
- Contact your provider or update your policy through an online account.
- Choose to add coverage and fill in the necessary details about your car or home.
- If needed, include payment information or choose your current form of payment.
- Confirm the information, update your account and start your new policy.
- Review account and billing details to view the discount listed on the bill. If necessary, confirm this by calling your provider.
Getting your car and home insurance together could unwrap a hefty discount on both policies. However, sometimes bundling may not offer the lowest rate overall. Get quotes from multiple providers for bundled or separate policies to find the best option.
Frequently asked questions about car and home bundles
More guides on Finder
Compare tuition insurance
If your child gets sick or injured and has to take time away from college, tuition insurance can reimburse you for what you already paid.
Pawp pet insurance alternative review Nov 2020
Get $3K in rainy-day funds for up to six of your lovable woofs and meows.
Denied life insurance
Learn the common health reasons that lead to denials and how to get life insurance anyway.
Asbestos and home insurance
Learn when your home insurance policy would and wouldn’t pay to remove this building material.
Car insurance for drivers 25 to 40 years old
Take advantage of the lowest minimum coverage rates by earning all the discounts you can.
Where to book hotels with free cancellations
10+ sites to book hotels with free cancellation policies.
Is credit disability insurance right for me?
Get your loan payments covered when you experience a disability and can’t work, but with limited coverage.
Do I need disability insurance?
Who long-term or short-term disability insurance works best for, and pros and cons to buying both.
Amazon Prime Day auto parts deals 2020
Fix up your car for less with these Amazon Prime Day automotive deals. Find car parts and accessories marked down more than usual.
Ask an Expert